The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Suggestions for easy trick I can do upside down? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Hi, all.

I'm new to this forum, and am primarily an aerial silk artist, but am in a sticky spot and desperately need some magician help and advice. (I posted about this also in the funny-themed forum, as I wasn't sure which location was best for this question, so my apologies if such double-posting is frowned upon, and please just let me know and I'll erase the one in the wrong place!)

I have a show this Sunday in which I perform an aerial silk as a clown. I'm looking for a simple magic trick that I can perform at one part in the performance when I'm suspended upside down by my ankles. In the past, I've taken this moment to blow up a balloon until it pops, then pretend like the noise has startled me into almost falling out of the ankle lock, but this Sunday, there'll be small children, who I've found sometimes burst intro tears when balloons pop, so I'd like to avoid that. I'm looking for a magic trick to substitute here.

Here are the restrictions on the type of trick I'm looking for:

* The trick should be easy to learn. I'm new to (and fairly bad at) magic. I read a lot of books and enjoy the theory, but I'm a klutz and slight of hand is not my strong suit.

* The trick should be very quick, and require little (if any) prep immediately before, as I'll be a bit busy then.

* The trick needs to be visible from a distance (as I'm 15 feet in the air, and fairly far from the audience at this point in the act).

* The trick needs to involve only props that I can hide in my tight, rather skimpy costume.

* The trick needs to work upside down.

* The trick needs to be performed with no talking.

* The funnier, the better.

Any ideas or suggestions or really thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Celeste
rjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Profile of rjenkins
Do you know how to vanish a silk? Then make it come out of your mouth?
Jolyon Jenkins
mentalism dice from
http://magitronics.co.uk
DIY Self lighting candles, spirit bells, falling picture frames from
http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/Magi-tronicsBook1.htm
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Good luck, I'm certainly ignorant when it comes to performing inverted magic. Can't even do that standing up. : )
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1270 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
A silk vanish is a good idea. Some other ideas are mouth coil, Double Color Changing Silk , appearing cane or this migth be a bit big but check out http://www.magicbox.uk.com/magic-tricks/......ole.html

Hope this helps good luck
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1378 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If you want funny, I'd do something simple like eat (or pretend to eat) a cookie, then pull out a paper napkin to wipe your mouth. Act like you are surprised as you bring the napkin to your mouth. Taste it again. Tear off a little piece and chew on it. Rip it to shreds and shove them in your mouth, letting a lot hang out enough to remind everyone it is just a paper napkin. Let the look of delight change to disgust. Pull out a few of the bits. Pull out a few more. Pull out one more, and keep on pulling. It gets longer and longer (think of the famous clown glove gag), changes colors, you are now amazed at what is coming out of your mouth and piling up below you. Finally, you get an idea, pull out a magic wand, tap your mouth and pull the last of the paper out. The endless cascade of paper coil has stopped!

You can play this for one minute or five, depending on your clown skills. All you need is a paper napkin and a mouth coil. The clerk at the magic shop where you buy the coil will help you with the workings.

It is easy, funny, memorable, and cheap.

If you use my routine idea above, you owe me a video of the performance!

-Patrick
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
364 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Maybe use the trick mismade-flag amd a change bag.

Or the trick where you pull lots of rope out of your clothes and then at the end of rope is your boxer shorts.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3540 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'm voting for the mouth coil. Don't have to hide it on your body, plus it would be a nice display with the streamer coming out of your mouth a falling to the floor.

Jim
Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
These ideas are so great! I'll definitely make sure I take a video and post it as a thank you to you guys... I'm going to go check out magic shops today, but the mouth coil idea is a great one! Thank you.
Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
So, a year and a half later, I finally have some pictures if this trick in action. Very sorry for the delay, but thank you guys so much for your help! I haven't yet obtained a video, but I think the photos do the trick justice. It's been a big hit, especially with little kids.

Click here to view attached image.
Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Another shot of the trick:

Click here to view attached image.
Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Hm, those are pretty small... going to see if HTML tags are allowed... Apologies if this makes a big mess.

Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Okay, got it now. A few more shots with BBCode... should have guessed!

Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
And,,, here are a few context shots from other parts of the act:

Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Oh... and here are a couple from a time a used a mouth coil at a boozy party and no one noticed:

But other than this one, it's gone over really well! Thank you guys again for your help, especially Yellowcustard, Mr. Woolery, and jimhlou who first suggested the mouth coil! It's perfect.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1378 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Thank you so much for remembering the pictures!

Glad it works for you and gets good reactions.

Sometimes we get so hung up on the tricks that we don't know how to do already that we forget how something simple like a mouthcoil can be more amazing than most card tricks, even the ones that take a year to master.

-Patrick
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1270 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Photo looks great. Thanks for posting also cheers for the PM. Have fun and keep enjoying your macic and let others enjoy it as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nice potos, how longhave you been doing this
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Kidd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kidd
Aerial silk, about 3 years. Lyra and Chinese pole are more recent. Before aerial arts, I did tightrope.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYfXSohvvuI

Sorry, COULD not resist. No offense to any christian believers out there... the point is the routine NOT who is shown doing it. It was just the only example I could remember.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Suggestions for easy trick I can do upside down? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL