The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Just something to think about (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TK Knight
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
18 Posts

Profile of TK Knight
I'll never understand why magicians see the need to use the specific names (Interlude, Wakeling Sawing, Professor's Nightmare, etc) in their promo material online. I see people list these industry names on photos on their websites and on Facebook and all over their videos YouTube. All this does is give a layperson more information to make it easier to look up the secret of the effect online, and they do. Not only that, on YouTube you are then instantly compared to every one else with the same illusion and I think that diminishes the novelty of it. We've always been careful to use a vague description or created our own name for the illusion, rather than giving laypeople more information than they need. Just something to think about...
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
TK...I agree 100%. I very rarely use the "industry name" for an effect. For example, I used to do the Zombie (when I was a teen) to Alice Cooper's "Welcome To My Nightmare". Therefore, that became the name of the effect.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Bang on, Kyle. No idea why people do this. It says to me that they just don't 'get it', y'know?
It's all in the reflexes.
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
You are so correct!!! I perform sponge balls in my restaurant show. People are always saying that they will find it on Youtube. In my presentation I never use the word "sponge ball." For his reason very few people have found it.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
I think this attitude comes with the territory of magic, we all start somewhere, and then run with it, Its all done in Phases, Each person may go thru different Phases or levels of magic as they grow and discover their true Niche, It is a silly thing. but it seems like the young do it to show pride in What they have finally achieved , so they forecast it. Then as we get older and wiser we simmer down a bit with this. Some of them think it is a necessary method of advertising to show just how professional they are. But with our experience we learn better. But perhaps this post may reach those at this level and give them a heads up at this point.

TK,,, good of you to reach out and share this view so the newbies in Magic and Illusion can catch on a bit early and learn from it. Its all about growth.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I think about that every time I see a presentation where they introduce the name of the effect!

Well said TK!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
People were on their IPhone googling what I was doing so they could bust me, during the show!!!

Never use the correct name.
TK Knight
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
18 Posts

Profile of TK Knight
Glad to see that you guys understand my point. You would think it would be obvious to someone who's been in the industry for a while, but I see magicians do it all the time. A few times fellow magicians have posted on our Facebook fan page referencing the illusions by their real names or even the builder, so we had to delete the comments. One quick Google search and leads a layperson to all the info they could ever want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Just something to think about (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL