The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Favorite silk effect (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
I would have to say that we have many silk routines that we like for different reasons , but Silk to Egg, 20th Century, and THIS are our 3 favorites. Oh and of course we use streamers of some type in all of our different shows.
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow...too many to name! I love the Silk Fountain, and many, many Blendo effects, among so many others. Some of favorite things to do with silks are simply productions.
Mister Mystery
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Blendo's keep getting such great responses that I rarely do a show without one.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Right now I have three six inch silks. A red, a yellow and a blue. Although they came with the plastic tube that is The Color Changing Silk by Adams (?), I use the Simplex Tube by Rice. All three fit nicely, and the effect works smoothly.

I still have my Palmo, and two TT's (My Jumbo Vernet is the best), but need to get some new larger silks. I have Rice, Sanders & Hughes to choose from, and there just ain't any better! Smile

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My Flagtastick blendo
rwb silks to flag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1RnkICvQY
Four stars in Genii
older demo during lecture in 83'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M87hjfjcqEE&feature=related
Can be done with any colors

also, blendo tie: (not around since the 80's) also 4 stars in genii.
http://magicians.podbean.com/blendo-tie/
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have Ian's Flagtastick, and it is great! I already mentioned blendos as a favorite silk effect, but the Flagtastick is a rather unique type, so I'll add it to my list.
Mister Mystery
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Duane Laflin's Eli The Elephant....

I wonder if Duane will have a set with him at Kidabra1 this weekend, mine is starting to show it's age.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My favorite silk routine? Whew there are too many to list. I’ve done literately hundreds of different silk tricks built into routines over the past decades.

To try to answer the question I’d have to refrain it to “what is the silk trick I use most often now?”

Self-unknotting silks paired with the Sympathetic Silks would be tied (no pun intended) with Silk to Egg for most often performed. As a silk trick/routine I’d say that it is what I use most often.

A trick that I have ended several shows with over the past year is Ian’s Flagastick blendo. It is a great trick especially in this day an age of hyper-patriotism. It never hurts to end with a flag production.

I love Dukes Dye Version but find I don’t do it that much anymore. There was a time when I included it as the penultimate routine in every show. It is a killer and stage filling trick. If I ever score a large platform gig I'd include it in an eyeblink!

I also love the Color Changing silk (both the half-dyed and the comedy versions) but again don’t seem to perform it much anymore.
Like RJE2 above, I do use the Square Circle a fair amount but don’t see that as a silk trick. I produce more than silks from my Square Circle (bottles, candles, canes, a gold-fish in a bowl of water, flowers. flags, Etc.).

I really like colorful silk productions and have the old Rice “Haunted Chimneys”. Again I haven’t performed it in a decade. I need to brush it off and put it into an act.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I will have to add another one to the list I posted a couple of months ago. It is an effect that I recently acquired....... El Duco's The Flying Silks. I have already performed it twice and it has received great reactions.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Old thread, but I just found it-

My favorite effects with silk?
Hyrum with a different silk than the one provided (best reactions of ANY! People have literally run away, screaming!)
Impossible Knot
Instant Knot in Air (Drove the sales staff at Montgomery Wards crazy)
Ring on Rope (under silk)
12th (20th) Century Silks
Coin Thru Silk
Crystal Tube
Wine Bottle Production
Goblet Production
Silk from Cup
Ball Thru Silk
Square & Circle
Phantom Tube

I could go on, this is only off the top of my head...
Silks are one of my favorite media! Both beauty and class.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Favorite is a tough one. I like silk to egg, TT and silk, 20th century...

I guess my "favorite" would be my silk fountain routine. Although I don't do it very often, because of the set up involved, it is a nice visual spectacle that gets lots of gasps and oohs and ahhs.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Hey, Theodore, it is good to see that I am not the only one who digs through the older posts!

If you don't mind me asking, what is a good reference for making a silk fountain?
I have been performing magic for 40 years and have never done this effect, mainly because I fear the cost of buying a pile of identical silks of various colors.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Malaki

Here is a great source for all your silk fountain questions https://davidandteesha.com/product/the-silk-fountain-dvd/

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Thanks!
I may end up adding the silk fountain to my show after all!
I have always thought that it would be a great way to end a show - or at least a series of silk effects.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Hi Malaki!

Mark beat me to it! But I would have steered you towards the Laflins as well. Good people and that resource should be a great help.

Silk fountain is a fun trick to perform! You can have fun creating your story and deciding how you want to end it.

Enjoy!

BTW- Good to see you again Mark!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I already have ideas forming about the transformative abilities of the silk worm...

Thanks again for the information. I look forward to getting the Laflin's DVD!
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Silk through deck of cards, using the silk through phone gimmick.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I love Slydini Silks! I have my own version of the routine, and it really packs a punch. It was worth all those years of research to make the routine the way I want it. I don't use nylon scarves - just silk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Favorite silk effect (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL