The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stand Up Monte - Come Back Line Needed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
818 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Guys,
I need some help...
I'm a hobbyist magician and performed Garrett Thomas's 'Stand Up Monte' at a Golf Club cocktail / charity evening over the weekend - 14 tables with 8-10 people on each table. I opened with the Stand Up Monte on each table and for the majority of tables it went down really well. However, on 3 tables I had some spectators who were being deliberatley awkward. On the first Monte Move when I asked the question 'where's the Queen?' they pointed at the card in my hand and not the one in their hand. I know I executed the move almost perfectly so there is now way they could have seen anything untowards. Does any one have a clever come back line or bit of patter for this type of situation? I don't want to be smart or clever or insult anyone but just have a quick response ready if needed in the future. Just something that would allow me to raise a laugh and then carry on with the routine. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks. TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
TGR - I also perform Stand Up Monte and occasionally have this occur. It is the opening move and it is a 50 - 50 guess. I state that they want you to pick this one so that you build up your confidence so they can take your money later on. I then know that this is not the individual I want to have the routine focused on. I perform for small groups so I simply focus the remainder of the interaction on another person being sure not to make him feel excluded. My experience has been that it does not in any way deter from the routine as long as the upbeat tempo of the routine remains in tack.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
818 Posts

Hi Whiteoak,
Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. I like it!
A nice polite way of discovering any potential 'problems' very early on in the
routine and then avoiding them for the rest of the performance.
Once again many thanks.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
GwangJu, South Korea
2722 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
You have to be honest about the way regular people perceive monte-type routines. You're a magician and it's a scam, so of course there are going to be people expecting you to do something crazy like have the winning card in the opposite place from where it's supposed to be. It's not even a major miracle. Magicians can predict the future and make money jump inside of fruit. Having two cards switch places ranks low. It's great fun, but it's not a miracle, and that means they'll be happy to guess that the card's jumped.

I don't do SUM, but I do perform regular monte all the time, and this desire from the spectator to get ahead of the magician is there as well. My primary tactic in order to deal with this person is to have an opening sequence that is totally fair and where there aren't any surprises. It's the practice round. That way, if they guess where it's supposed to be, I know my audience can be managed. If they guess against where it's supposed to be, I turn over the cards and say something like "Ok, I didn't do anything that time." or "Are you trying to make this easy for me?" or similar. If somebody else in the group guessed right, I'll move on to them saying "Maybe we ought to let her have a shot." and then do another practice round on the new person. If the first person feels slighted by that (they rarely do in my experience, but if they do) then soften the blow by winking and/or saying something like "Actually, it's wise not to trust the game. I'll show you why."

Again, I don't do SUM, but if the routine allows you to do this, I heartily recommend it. If it doesn't, then you might want to switch to a more passive presentation that doesn't give them the power to dictate how it'll unfold.

The suggestion in the other thread to do it as a story will help make the routine reliable. I've done it that way (as a story of a time when a guy fooled me several times) and it can play. Another approach is to ask the question "Where would most people say the winning card is?" or "Where should the winning card be at this point?" so that people will have a reason to point at the correct spot.

That said, there's so much more fun to be had in doing it as a real life game for people right then and there. The story doesn't allow them to get involved as much, and the weasel-worded question is confusing because people just want to say where the hell they think the winning card is, not where others would say it is. Just have to grow some stones and learn to manage the audience.
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
46 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
TGR,
what I tend to do is this: I don't really do the Monte as a scam, because that leaves
the spectator in a position where he/she is (almost) always wrong ("Where is the Ace?
No, wrong - again ...!").
I pretend to show them a Monte-performance as a warning "Look, this is what these
con-artists do to get your money: Every normal person will think the Ace is here, but
..." or "Never bet any money in such a rigged game, because you can only loose. Put your
money on this card, because everyone has seen that this is the Ace ... and you loose
...". That way you are not really asking them, but you provide the answer yourself
and everyone watching the "game" is essentially on the same side - on your side.
Avoiding the confrontation takes the sting out of the spectator always being wrong
and takes away the urge to suss it.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
818 Posts

Hi Karsten,
Thanks for the reply. Yep good advice. Take away the 'confrontation' and make it more of a 'cautionary tale'. You are right, it will take the heat off and hopefully, stop the odd spectator from trying to 'suss' it out.
Once again, many thanks.
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
310 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Exactly. I try to tell them a story. At the first move I say "Look, it's already hard to follow the queen since that card is over here and the card in your hand is a four". I say this as I perform the move and immediately make the reveal. I try to never ever ask the spectator where the queen is, it's just a flowing patter with the moves following the patter along the way.

I tend to go with the same theme as Karsten (and Garrett btw), I try to "warn" them about the scammers and the whole routine is just to show them how they can avoid to be fooled (but they will be of course).
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stand Up Monte - Come Back Line Needed! (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.074791 seconds, requiring 30 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [6] [8] [6] [7] [6] [6] [5]