The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Nathan Kranzo - The Badger. A new Wallet for workers. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I am in the process of doing the card to envelope video. I think you will find it to be a very different take on the whole idea.

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2632 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Yeah you can use coin envelopes for sure!

Yeah its a wallet made to last.

And it has held up great. no complaints. Its soft and will only bend if you sit on your ass too much. But I don't do that...and if I did I would swap it for another wallet.

Take Billy McComb's advice and never sit down in your show attire.

If you are more of a "street" guy or you have no legs.....then you'll want to just make sure you place your wallet under a weight/phonebook to force it the OTHER way at night. But no matter what leather will form to the shape of anything after years.

I think this will be a good test! I really think this is great info but the best parts about the wallet are that fact that it works great and loads like a charm.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2468 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I really love this wallet. Thanks to Tony and Nathan.

I got it yesterday and have been playing around with it all day long. The feel of the leather alone is par-none, and is like butter.

The load happens almost by itself. Really. It is that easy. For Palming, it is set up nicely and I think folks will be quite happen with that option as well.

I like the Mullica option, and Nathan adds a subtly that is awesome in displaying the load wallet. Makes it so sweet. Thanks for that Nathan!

As for bending... every wallet I have bends because it is in my back pocket. To me wallets are supposed to bend, and wear. Will see how it holds up but every other wallet I have had holds up fine, so I can't see why this would hold up. And kind of like a nice pair of pants... in due time you are going to have to replace it. But all said and done, I can see it being a while before you have to replace this puppy.

If I am in my office, I will pull the wallet out and set my cell phone on top of it. Just what I do, so I remember both when I head out!

RevJohn
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
For the record, I'm still looking forward to seeing videos of this wallet in action...
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2241 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Still waiting for mine, hopefully it arrives this week.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
4090 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 11:55, RevJohn wrote:
<snipped>

As for bending... every wallet I have bends because it is in my back pocket. To me wallets are supposed to bend, and wear.

<snipped>
RevJohn

Not so! Not MY magic wallets! Smile

Pulling a card out with the corner curved in - like the edge of the wallet - once was enough for me!! (Grrr...!) I likie my (impossibly located) cards nice & flat! Like my magic wallets! Smile

(Only kidding here - just in case someone takes this wrong... I know most magi are a sensitive folk!) Happy New Year!

Thanks!

Jim
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

So after waiting for more reviews, I finally just caved into the post-holiday temptation, and bought myself The Badger Wallet. It took a few days to arrive, but I just received it, watched the online instructional videos, and played with the wallet for a few hours to really get comfortable with it. Figured I'd offer my two cents in case anyone else was interested in the product.

INITIAL THOUGHTS.
After opening the mail packaging, I was immediately impressed with what I received. I loved the craftmanship, design, and overall feel of the wallet. The leather is soft to the touch, reminiscent of the leather used in the (newer) JOL Hip Pocket Billfolds. As previously mentioned, the finish of the leather actually aids in the illicit load of a playing card off the top of the deck. The wallet is the same size as the more popular Tim Trono/Paul Harris Super Slim model. What I particularly liked about the design of the wallet was that it felt reinforced in all the appropriate areas. There seems to be stiffer material in between the layers of fabric around the credit card slots to prevent unappealing creases, and the Mullica insert is similarly reinforced to aid in a faster load. These minute details showed that Tony Miller and Nate Kranzo really appreciated finer points and wanted to correct flaws found in previous models of the Mullica Wallet.

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS.
The wallet comes with an insert that provides an unlisted YouTube link to watch detailed instruction for the wallet. The quality of the videos are very undesirable by today's standards. Those wanting broadcast-quality productions will be severely disappointed. It appears as though Tony Miller's using the same remote-controlled camcorder seen in all his other demos, and Nate Kranzo's potentially using an iPhone to film his segments. Oh, and he's not wearing pants. He's wearing baggy boxer-briefs and proceeds to show the camera an effect using the wallet at crotch level. Frankly, not only is such practice distasteful, it's also very distracting. Additionally, the videos all appear to be one-shot/one-take, so are very slow and painful to watch all the way through-- but the relevant information pertaining to the wallet is accurately portrayed. A few rewinds may be necessary for those unfamiliar with a Mullica wallet to understand the orientation of everything during the standard load procedures. Overall, there is a lot of worthwhile information in the video segments, even if they are awfully produced. It's like being served a 4-star prime rib dinner on a dirty trash can lid.

I personally own the PH/Tim Trono SuperSlim model. The supplementary DVD that came with the SuperSlim does an infinitely better job teaching how to care for, perform with, and maintain a hip-pocket Mullica wallet. Also, the performance pieces on the PH DVD are also much better-quality effects that can immediately go into a worker's repertoire. Nate Kranzo appears to duplicate some of the effects, but falls short of the standard set before him. The effect "Go Text Yourself" is a laughable rendition of PH's License to Astonish effect. As far as instruction goes, I obviously prefer (and appreciate) PH's efforts more.

PRACTICALITY/FUNCTIONALITY.
I loved the Badger when I first opened its packaging. It's a gorgeously made prop. It was advertised as a hip-pocket Mullica that could/should be used as a regular wallet. I understand that Nate Kranzo apparently used his for day-to-day necessity. Once I loaded the wallet with my two credit cards and ID, it expanded to a solid 1.5 inches. The additional leather, zippers, and reinforcement materials were not apparently without drawback. Frankly speaking, the Badger is one of the fattest wallets I'll own. I don't really foresee me using this in casual attire at all. This is definitely more suited for "European wear" in the breast pocket of a sports-coat or suit jacket. It's unfortunate, because I would have loved to have the Badger replace my SuperSlim, but it's simply too cumbersome to wear in the back pocket of my jeans or even the front pocket of loose trousers. Mind you, my Badger isn't even fully loaded-- I only have three plastic cards occupying the five credit card slots so I imagine the wallet would be even thicker for those who carry more cash and plastic than others.

Comparing this with the SuperSlim, I would still argue that the Badger undeniably operates much better with CTW handlings. The finish of the leather facilitates Mullica loads and the additional LePaul slot makes it a more versatile wallet. In terms of day-to-day practicality, however, I'd sacrifice the smaller liberties that the Badger offers for the comfort of the slimmer design of the PH SuperSlim. If you wear a sportscoat/blazer/suit regularly, the Badger's a great product, but in my opinion, it's just not comfortable to wear in casual attire. The SuperSlim can be worn in fitted jeans and trousers as well as more formal, dressier clothes without any uncomfortable, unsightly bulges, making it-- in my opinion-- the more worthwhile product.

OVERALL.
I like the Badger Wallet. By itself, I think it's a classy, well-made product. Tony Miller and Nate Kranzo did a great job in the construction and design of the wallet. If/when I have more formal gigs, I'll likely carry this with me. The only real qualm I have against the Badger-- and the only thing that's really holding me back from using it more often-- is its excessive thickness, and that's likely an issue other magicians won't mind. But because of that excessive thickness, I don't believe it's ideal for the more spontaneous, casual performances that I (and assuming the majority of other magicians here) find myself involved with. For $80, I would also argue that customers deserve more professional quality and conduct in instructional supplements. Which leads me to my final verdict in the comparison of the two wallets.

As far as personal preferences go, I think the Badger pales in comparison to the SuperSlim, but not by much. Although the Badger is the better-quality wallet between the two, I liked the production value, detail of instruction, and quality of effects found with PH/Tim Trono's SuperSlim Mullica moreso than the Badger. And despite the fact that the actual SuperSlim wallet may be lacking in overall quality in comparison to the Badger, it is still a decently-made, operable wallet with the versatility to be worn more comfortably in whatever style of clothing one would typically wear. For $10 less than the Badger, you literally get more bang for your buck with the purchase of SuperSlim.

Overall, in my mind, between the two wallets, I feel the SuperSlim Mullica wins by a hair. But I think those who purchase the Badger with full knowledge of what they're getting will be satisfied-- and even impressed-- with the wallet they get.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Wow... So the Badger is a better quality and better performing wallet... But... Oh well... I will accept that.. It is what I was trying for so I am glad I got that part right. Thanks for your critique. I worked hard to get the Badger right. I think I did. So far most all the others seem to agree with me.. It was a year to get right... And it does what is supposed to do... Which is last and work very well.

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

www.rfaproductions.com
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Thanks for the insightful review rs
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

@ Tony,

Just some more amplification...

Side-by-side, as far as aesthetics go, the Badger Wallet's obviously the higher-end item when compared to the SuperSlim. It's prettier, better made, and even has more features. If that's all you were aiming to do as a creator, I think it's safe to say you definitely reached your goal. It's an impressive piece of craftmanship that's worth owning. Once I get back into performing more formal gigs and having a more regular performance schedule, it'll likely be one of my go-to props. It's really great work.

When I purchased it, I wanted it to be a prop that could completely replace my SuperSlim. The Badger was initially advertised/hyped to be a thinner model, so I was excited to have the added quality of your work in a Mullica-style wallet that I could wear wherever I went in whatever clothes I wore. In that regard, I think the Badger fails. In my opinion, it's way too thick of a wallet to be worn in casual attire. It looks like I'm carrying a brick in my back pocket. It looks like I'm happy to see EVERYONE when it's worn in my front pocket. The only way I see it appropriate to carry this wallet is in the breast pocket of a jacket, and for many people, I think that is a limiting factor. Granted, some may not even care, but I know others will. So that, coupled with unprofessional instruction and poorly produced videos, I felt it was accurate to rate the SuperSlim a (slightly) better product from a CONSUMER's point of view. It's $10 less, the wallet is a decent prop and fully operable, and it comes with more performance ideas that those familiar with the Mullica concept may not have necessarily thought of by themselves. AND it can be worn in whatever clothes you want without being cumbersome. I'm actually wearing mine as we speak...

It boils down to this in my mind: if people are looking for a prop to wear for more formal gigs and are already familiar with the Mullica walet, I'm going to wholly recommend the Badger. If people are looking for more of a practical day-to-day wallet and want more potential out of what they can do with a Mullica, I think the SuperSlim is the way to go.

RS.

Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1357 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think saying it looks like a brick is way over the top.Mine fits in my back pocket exactly like the other 3 hip pocket models I have owned.I have one credit card and a soft video club card in there.I love the way the inner wallet fits like a glove completely inside
the outer wallet [just as in the Eugene Burger handling]
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

@ Markymark,

A few people have actually PM'ed me to say the same thing. After holding the wallet in my own hands with just three measly credit cards loaded, I find it hard to believe people didn't notice a difference in thickness. But...

For the record, my Badger's currently at home under the PH Art of Astonishment series and a phone book (I knew a phone book was still useful for something). While that might sound like animal abuse, I'm actually attempting to force some of the air out of the leather to see if it'll flatten the wallet out to my preference. I'll report back in a few days; the excessive thickness may in fact be a simple issue of breaking the wallet in a bit. We'll see.

RS.

Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Raymond, no hard feelings. I am happy with my product. Yours was a fair report. As for the instructional criticism, I have always felt that it was more important to concentrate on the product, not the packaging as it were. We are adding more instructional vids as we speak. I have 3 in the "editing" stage... Including card to envelope. You probably wont like the vids as they are shot in my typical no frills style. The information will be there... And a lil humor... But that is about all... Anyone who has seen one of Chad Longs Cheesey videos will understand my feelings about this kind of thing.

Oh yes, as to everyday use... I kinda think mine will outlast the other due to the craftsmanship involved... The prototype is over a year old and Nate beats the heck out of it and it works beautifully.

Anyway, as I said, looking forward to hearing from others who have enjoyed taming their Badgers.

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
Romano911
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Mine arrived yesterday. I don't own any other Mullica style wallets, so I have no reference points of comparison to draw upon, but I have to say that the badger is really, really very well made, and for me is a keeper. Smile
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Just an update. If you are like me and have very dry hands, then the latest video for the badger will appeal to you a lot. Heck, even if ya don't have dry hands you might like it. It makes it really easy.

Just go to your instructional vid site and look for Controlled Load.

enjoy

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2126 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I purchased The Badger directly from Tony at RFA Productions and I have never received better customer service. I had some questions and concerns but Tony went out of his way to answer them. In other words "HE MADE SURE" I was a satisfied customer.
Great Wallet too!!!!
David Paul Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1357 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Or use Nuetrogena hand cream! works a treat for Mullica aficionados. [I will check that link out if I can find the card that came with my Badger!]
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2241 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Does any one know if Nathan is lecturing or away? I am trying to get a hold of him and have been unsuccessful, it is somewhat important.

Thanks,

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2632 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Hi Darren,

I did not receive an email from you until today. How were you contacting me? http://www.KranzoMagic.com has plenty of ways to contact me.

anyone can always email me at nathankranzo@gmail.com

trying to contact me here is not a good way unless you'd like an answer like a week later. : )

All the best!

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
The card in envelope (actually 2 methods) vids are almost done. And yes, the envelope is examinable in both cases. Both are QUITE different.

Enjoy

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Any updates on the card to envelope videos?
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Yeppers, Shared the concept with Jack Carpenter and a couple of others. Got a big thumbs up. So it should be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
And ask, and ye shall receive. Card to envelope in a Badger! What more could a young man want!

It is on the instruction page for the badger. Both Video and PDF.

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2126 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just watched the "Card to Envelope" demo and explanation. Nice idea and handling. Tony is a HOOT to watch!
I printed out the template for the envelope and it's easy to make and fold. Just some paper glue and you are good to go. The handling is a little different compared to the typical load but it does allow the spectator to take the card out themselves after some minor handling by the performer. Reset time is only a few seconds but you "may" need some cover. (People won't know what you are doing so you could probably load the envelope without any suspicion.) The envelope is completely examinable too. No tears to hide.

BTW after receiving "The Badger" I decided to buy another for back-up. It's very nicely made and with the special leather and the two load features, I had to get another. I may keep two on my person when performing. One in my back pocket and the other in my inner breast coat pocket............ Thanks Tony !!
Looking forward to see the other CTW method!

David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Glad ya liked it David! It has gotten a pretty nice reception so far. As for the other card to envelope. We are working on the vid for it. It is rather different in approach. I don't think that there has been anything like it before. And as always, the envelope is examinable.

Enjoy,

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
By the way, the envelope was designed to allow for bulk printing with your advertising on it. Just an FYI...

Tony

See ya in Blackpool.

www.rfaproductions.com
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Unlikely to be taken seriously with only
201 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 09:23, Markymark wrote:
Or use Nuetrogena hand cream! works a treat for Mullica aficionados. [I will check that link out if I can find the card that came with my Badger!]

Or, perhaps, Badger Hand Cream? badgerbalm.com

:)
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of Doomo
No Badger Cream... No Badger Balm... Badger does NOT approve.

www.rfaproductions.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11725 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mr doomo sir! would you ever consider doing a full on mentalist's business card case? with a p**k, an Ind*x, and a PW/NW ability?
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Unlikely to be taken seriously with only
201 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 07:50, IAIN wrote:
Mr doomo sir! would you ever consider doing a full on mentalist's business card case? with a p**k, an Ind*x, and a PW/NW ability?

Hear, hear!
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Nathan Kranzo - The Badger. A new Wallet for workers. (4 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.428999 seconds, requiring 120 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [0] [0] [5] [3] [7] [6] [5]