The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair Suspension or Super X? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Between getting a good chair suspension or a super X levitation, which one do you prefer? The Chair Suspension can be performed totally surrounded and you can walk away from it. Super X though, is more "grand" and looks a lot better! Which one?
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Ask yourself some questions regarding your needs and what you have to work with.

Which is most beneficial to your performing and which would you get the most use out of?

What type of vehicle do you drive?

Where do you do most of your shows?

Are angles going to be a problem at most of your venues?

Can you control access to your performing area?

What type of set up and tear down can you do at your venues? Can you set up and tear down in private of under the eyes of your audience?

Do you get into your venues days ahead of time to check it out or do you typically walk into a venue an hour or so before show time and adapt to the situation you find yourself in?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There was a great video posted here with a Super X in a box, it looked really good and made it more versatile.

B

(P.S. RJE2 - do you not get your pm's??)
M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Ok RJE2 Thanks! I know that there are a lot of factors. Its just for future reference if I decide to get one. Blair- Ill have to check it out! Thank you!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-12-20 17:27, Blair Marshall wrote:
There was a great video posted here with a Super X in a box, it looked really good and made it more versatile.

B

(P.S. RJE2 - do you not get your pm's??)

Except no-one is supposed to know its a super-x in the box.
It is'nt quite that.
I have done all three effects, the last called "flying box" was the most fun and was more animated.
However, if you get a super-x, you can do the conversion and do the box effect as well.
The chair suspension, has one point suspension, whereas the other have o obvious suspension points.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

Just to make my post clear, I am not referring to the floating box effect above, but the suspension of a person.

B
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11132 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-12-20 21:33, Blair Marshall wrote:
Just to make my post clear, I am not referring to the floating box effect above, but the suspension of a person.

B

I'm assuming as Ken Griffin described in his wonderful book? Great concept. Many don't know that his Aga Lev used a similar tactic to keep backstage a secretive as possible. Smart man he was!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Truth is .. the Super-X is great for photos but, not very practical to perform. I had one years ago and it just sat in the closet. Years later I purchased an Abbott's Chair Suspension and I use it all the time. It's simple, practical and will help you "sell" the show when you can make someone from the audience "Float on Thin Air!"

Don't get any of the other junk that's out there with common folding chairs ... they're garbage! Give them a call at Abbott's .. every once and a while they have one in stock.

Steve
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7322 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think Blair is referring to this thread / video link:

Magic Café thread titled... Interesting ...... Super X

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3631 Posts

That's the one Donald, thanks for looking it up. Steve, if you have the standard version from Abbotts with the board staying in place, I always find it's a hard sell. Very rarely someone will ask about the Broom Sus. "why don't you take the other pole away?", but with the Chair Sus. they ask more frequently about the board. I have had one since the 70's, I have good use with it (national and local t.v. etc using the hosts), but this negative point has always been there for me with it.

B
M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Thanks Everyone! The box one is very cool! Smile
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
323 Posts

Profile of btedeski
>> Truth is .. the Super-X is great for photos but, not very practical to perform.

Very true,

I have a "walk around Super-X" and a "Chair Suspension"

When the performance area allows I use the "Walk away Super-X"
If the angles don't allow it, then I do the "Chair Suspension"

While the "Chair Suspension" has a great audience impact, I think the "Walk away Super-X" is a larger impact and reaction.

I would recommend that you get both.... Get the "Chair Suspension" first, because you can use it almost everywhere.
get one of the one performer versions of the Super-X also.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Where can I find the walk away super X?
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
313 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I got my Walk Away Super X from Klamm Magic.
Mike
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
323 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
How do you guys like it? What is the max weight that it will hold without wobeling?
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
323 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I like it,,,, have never tried to max it so don't know.

I would guess 50lb would be about the largest kid that I have used on it
and there was no issue.

Klamm's web site claims 200lb for the max
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
622 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
How much invisible thread does it take to suspend a 200 lb audience member anyway?
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Rolf Reiner
View Profile
Loyal user
Mallorca - Spain
228 Posts

Profile of Rolf Reiner
Is there any online video of the Klamm suspension?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5693 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 07:06, Blair Marshall wrote:
That's the one Donald, thanks for looking it up. Steve, if you have the standard version from Abbotts with the board staying in place, I always find it's a hard sell. Very rarely someone will ask about the Broom Sus. "why don't you take the other pole away?", but with the Chair Sus. they ask more frequently about the board. I have had one since the 70's, I have good use with it (national and local t.v. etc using the hosts), but this negative point has always been there for me with it.

B

I use the Abbott's version and I haven't had that problem in years. At first, I had to make some small changes that made a huge difference. After that, I've had no problems.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair Suspension or Super X? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL