The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Twists on Compressed and Origami illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rolf Reiner
View Profile
Loyal user
Mallorca - Spain
229 Posts

Profile of Rolf Reiner
Lee Eun Gyeol´s TV performance sometime in 2010 with celebrity guest as assistant.
Nice to see some original modifications, though not sure these are improvements. Both props were used in ways other than originally intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcIfZtgSLKY&feature=player_embedded#!

RR
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I guess this could be addressed as follows.....the "Compressed" is not a "Compressed" but an illusion prop with a similar effect. It is more a shrinker, with a vanish. It is not using the same method as "Compressed", and it is not the same effect. (At no time is the girl seen "Compressed") So at least in that sense it may not be considered a rip-off. So one cannot say the "prop is being used in another way" as it is not the same prop.

The "Origami" while being used as a production certainly looks like a rip-off as I have not seen a known approved builder of the "Origami" produce a model that looks like this. I see no significant modification, and to use it as a throw away effect diminishes, in my mind, the creators' (J.S.) original intent.

I cannot comment on his first illusion as I have not seen enough of them to compare.

Blair
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
Loving the Incubus in the beginning!
aboycemagic
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aboycemagic
Although completely different, it reminds me of what Joseph Gabriel does... Girl floats up (asrah) , turns into a cockatoo, cockatoo goes into a cage, turns into girl. I like both.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Interesting .. very well done at least. All the props look like the real deal ... that's always good to see.

Steve
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Always nice to see original stuff

But...

Sometimes the way the illusions are created is the best way

Specially with Steinmeyer creations.

- Doing ORIGAMI without the mirror is not an improvement...

- Making the woman appear in SHADOW THEATRE (and not disappear) is not an improvement...

- Having the woman TOTALLY disappear in OP-ART is not an improvement...

Steinmeyer is a genius, if he though is illusions like this he had good psychological reasons !

Just my opinion
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Very nice performance indeed ... the shrinker use the cutting edge h***** space , for me I see all the illusions are rip off s , have my doupts about the incubus .. but then again nice performance.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Covering the back of Incubus defeats the purpose of the apparatus and diminishes the effect greatly. This illusion is a wonderful, unique application of Kellar's 'Queen of the Roses'. I realize the set likely made it necesary to do this, but I would probably have chosen another piece, rather than diminish the effectiveness.
It's all in the reflexes.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
I agree with Illicifer, the original Incubus design adds to the effectiveness of the illusion.
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
I agree, covering the incubus ELIMINATES the effect (the girl could just be hidding behind the back covering)This could have been mimimized just turning the prop at the beginning.
As far as "compressed/Cutting Edge" would like to know what Dan Summers thinks, but for me seems this could had been approved by him.
The "origami" seems a Wellington one whit a customiced "mirror", don't you think?
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I had no issues with the 'origami' in the video. I think he maintained a lot of what is great about the design of the prop and at the end of the day, he didn't want to do the same old mirrors and swords effect. Even Jim Steinmeyer himself said in an interview that he was sick of seeing that same trick over and over again.

I hope it was authorized and good on him for doing something a little different with it!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Lee Eun Gyeol is a great guy that plays by the rules. I just build a nice illusion for him.
He always buys from the proper builder. If he decides to change something.... Well I think that if you buy it from the authorized builder, then you can do what you want with it when you get it.

The Origami looks like a Wellington and he just added a card rack handle and took the mirror out of the deal.. Serves the same purpose..
The Compressed prop looks like it was build by Bill Smtih and I'm sure if he worked with Dan also on the changes..

As far as I can tell..... I've never heard anything but the best about this guy..

Althoug he lives in Korea and is a Star over that way.. He is still playing by the rules and is a straight up guy..

My Hat goes off to any guy who tries to be different....................... Even if some opinions would say this or that.

The only guys who make it big are the ones who take chances..

Great Job and keep up the great work my friend.

PS:: He does a great back stage illusion that he bought years ago from Hanz and alos does great on the Suspeneded Animation...

Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Beyond the question it is clear that Lee is THINKING.
That's more important, because he wants to bee different.
The Incubus showed that it is sometimes difficult, but
the other illusions show that he is willing to walk the other way
and he succeeded.
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
I liked his combination...well done!
James
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I applaud him for doing something different, but personally I prefer the way they were intended to be seen.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The Origami is a Wellington that was modified some what. I can confirm that it's the real deal .. all the little details are correct on the prop itself.

Steve
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 16:24, TaylorReed wrote:

The Compressed prop looks like it was build by Bill Smtih and I'm sure if he worked with Dan also on the changes..

Taylor Reed

He did NOT work with Dan Summers on the changes.
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I love the rotine and the ideas of Taylor Reed performed by Lee Eun Gyeol!

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
I'm quite certain that the illusions are legit and Lee does a lot of the modifications in-house. His Hand Shadows/ Shadow Box is an amazing routine using Chris Murphy's "Evolution"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Twists on Compressed and Origami illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL