The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield & Bernadette Peters Doing the Disco? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2121 Posts

Profile of Devious
Disco Dave
Here's a disco version of David you have probably never seen before.
I'm certain he wishes it would disappear.

Pay particular attention to what Cindy Williams says, at the introduction!
Can we please restore that level of integrity to our craft on television?

Who was the designer for these huge pieces of equipment anyway?
Ahh those disco days right?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
The magic is still excellent and well staged. Full of wonderful subtleties that make the magic stronger.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1376 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
This was from his second special "The Magic of David Copperfield" that aired in 1978. I believe, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, these props were built by David Mendoza.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1214 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
LOL.....I'll bet he cringes when he sees that. It was a treat to watch!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5678 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I thought it was cool given the context... Smile

If you thought that was not, how do you feel watching the late great Doug Henning's performances?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3489 Posts

Profile of videoman
I may be wrong but I seem to recall DC tweeting a link to that routine sometime recently.
He often makes fun of his old hairstyles and costumes on Twitter. In these days of YouTube you just have to grin and bear it I suppose. No use trying to run from it. May as well bring it up before someone else does, and they most certainly will.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
That was some Bar Mitzvah!
"Don't run with those..."
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2125 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes, it's true that John Gaughan built a lot of his early pieces but the keyboard asrah and nest of boxes were built by Bill Schmelk. I only know because I was there to help David unpacked them when they came in for the show. The other humorous note was that as is frequently the case in asrah forms, they are typically built based on a smaller type of assistant. We unpacked the form, thought about Bernadette Peters and you that it was NEVER going to match in the chest area. It ended up working fine and thankfully nobody noticed the major diminishment in size when the cover went over!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2121 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thanks for sharing that Ray. It's good to see you man!
I really liked the roles Bernadette used to play.
I wonder what she is up to these days?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2125 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Hey! Sorry, this is a really busy season for us so with the 16 hour days I haven't had much time to check in here. Bernadette Peters was amazing! I'm sure she's back on Broadway doing something but haven't seen her in quite a while. Truly an amazing talent though!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1376 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Bill Schmelk built those? Wow... I had no clue. Thanks Ray!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5678 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-29 01:39, Ray Pierce wrote:
Yes, it's true that John Gaughan built a lot of his early pieces but the keyboard asrah and nest of boxes were built by Bill Schmelk. I only know because I was there to help David unpacked them when they came in for the show. The other humorous note was that as is frequently the case in asrah forms, they are typically built based on a smaller type of assistant. We unpacked the form, thought about Bernadette Peters and you that it was NEVER going to match in the chest area. It ended up working fine and thankfully nobody noticed the major diminishment in size when the cover went over!

Thanks for the info Ray... Great to have first hand accounts like this. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
877 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Bernadette Peters is currently starring in the Broadway revival of Stephen Sondheim's Follies, following a successful run in Washington DC. She will not be appearing in the show for its LA run as she wishes to fulfill previous commitments for giving concerts. She truly is an incredibly talented lady!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2121 Posts

Profile of Devious
Why thank you Mr. Simpson...finding out that tidbit if information, is what I was most
interested in, when I posted this topic.

Ray as always though, your background never ceases to amaze me guy!
Thanks again for sharing that buddy....
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield & Bernadette Peters Doing the Disco? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL