The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-02-14 16:43, Cameron Francis wrote:
The book is a learning tool. Why wouldn't you bend the pages or write in it. You should see what I do to scripts!

If you' re a collector, that's one thing. But a lot of us buy these books for more practical reasons.

You don't want to know what my copies of Erdnase, Expert Card Technique and Strong Magic look like, Cameron Smile Smile
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
What I so is to type the effects into some other source (in my case a website that is private to me) and I make my notes there. That way I don't destroy the book for later resell.
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Selling volume for one in the for sale section at the moment, if anyone's interested. Just dropped the price to £55
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2012-02-14 16:43, Cameron Francis wrote:
The book is a learning tool. Why wouldn't you bend the pages or write in it. You should see what I do to scripts!

If you' re a collector, that's one thing. But a lot of us buy these books for more practical reasons.

Cameron , are you implying that I buy books for impractical reasons?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I find it strange that you would imply that the only people who want to keep books in fine condition are collectors. I have a large accumulation of magic books- mostly cards. I buy them to study their contents. I am not a collector as such. You can bend your pages all you like. All I said was "yikes" because I like to keep my books in good shape. So what? I feel that a book is a wonderful object and I like to keep then in the best condition I can. That doesn't mean I'm a collector, or someone who buys books for impractical reasons. Im well aware that books are learning tools. Ive been learning from them for 28 years. Just because I keep them in nice condition doesn't mean I don't learn from them. Quite the opposite, Mr. Francis.
Sincerely, Rodney.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I'm rather rough with books. I throw them into suitcases, passenger seats, backseats, backpacks, and back pockets. I dog-ear pages on the parts I like. I treat them as friends.

I know that people may say that they're not "worth" as much... but we know that all depends on how one defines "worth." Smile
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
I have to second magicfish's post. I am a collector and a student of magic. I read all my books, but I handle them carefully so I do not damage them. I wrap all my dust jackets in Brodart sleeves and I keep out of direct sunlight. All my books are in the same condition as I bought them. Why? Because I have always had a love for books and also one day I "might" want to sell them and I would like to get the most money in return.
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
I don't suppose anyone would fancy doing a swap? Mint condition, brand new complete walton volume 1 for volume 1 or 2 of the elmsley book?

Mr Pink
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
It doesn't matter how you keep your books. Just because I scribble over my "Complete Works of Shakespeare" doesn't mean that I'm doing the author any kind of dishonour. People learn in different ways... Adding my own annotations to books has proved invaluble to my formal academic pursuits. It depends entirely on the student. He's the one who purchased the book, after all. I'd bet that after living on macaroni for a month and saying "it was worth it" Patrick doesn't plan on selling "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley". Ever. If any of you found a book from Vernon's personal collection (hypothetically) that was scrawled across, would you regard his attitude towards the printed word as careless? Would you pass up the oppertunity to buy the book? More importantly, would you pass up the oppertunity to STUDY it? I doubt it. Famous or not, writing over a book doesn't always amount to sacralige. Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter... It's Patrick's colection and it means you'll be getting it for cheap if he ever sells. Smile.

Personally, I try to keep my magic books in pristine condition. Only because they're slightly more difficult and often more expensive (for me) to attain. Not everyone cares about such things though and I can't begrude those who don't. It's an interesting topic of inquiry. Apologies for the derail, maybe PMs would be a better way to go.

Still, its given me food for thought. Kind regards as always,

Zac
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Sure, if it was Vernon's personal notes, I wouldn't mind, but I would hate to purchase a rare (and expensive) book and see someone's personal notes in it (someone who wasn't Vernon). Whether you are a collector or not, magic books by their nature are collectable items worth value, if not to you, then to your descendants who will probably sell them after you are gone. And you also never know when you might need funds and have to sell your collection. Personally the idea of defacing ( that is how I view it) an expensive, rare, and limited run book by writing in the margins gives me the willies. Honestly, I view it as a travesty. If you want to make notes, it is so easy to do these days with a computer. I keep a personal webpage to transcribe and make notes of the books and effects I'm interested in, which allows me to also provide easy cross references and index to my collection (it also makes it portable since I can view it from anywhere). By scribbling in the margins and making notes in the book, you are automatically lowering the value of your investment in these books. And they are an investment whether you plan on selling them or not. I would no more write in a book than I would sketch on a painting or draw on the walls.

But thanks for those who have expressed opposite views: I certainly won't be buying from you if you decide you want to sell your books in the future. Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
To imply that people who keep their books in mint condition are somehow not exercising appropriate "practical reasons" for owning those books seems the height of presumptive hubris.
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
That was not supposed to be my implication. As I said, Personally, I keep my magic books in good shape. Indeed, as Slide mentions I use a computer to take notes. Again, it's a matter of personal preference...

I find myself scrawling over my academic books though. Call me old fashioned, but I think there's something nice about turning to a page and having some notes right there in front of you. I do have a collectors mentality, that's for sure. I suppose that's one of the reasons I choose to keep my magic books pristine... Most of my university books are locally attainable, should I want to get any of them again so that I had a pristine collection (I wouldn't) then it'd be an easy and relatively inexpensive task. At least, compared to rebuying my magic books that is.

Ultimately, it just depends on the person in question. If I want to keep my magic books pristine I will, but I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong if they choose not to do the same with theirs.
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:28, Vincero wrote:
That was not supposed to be my implication..........

Nor did I take it to be!
I was making reference to a post other than your own.
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Sorry silverking I see it now.

Best,

Zac
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
"mmotown" is a great card man and has written one of the better card books around. It is called "Uncovered" Secrets for the serious magician by John Luka. He has the unique ability to smooth out a lot of the classics making them easier to do and easier to follow. You might want to ask him about it. I have the first edition dated Feb. 2006.

Merl
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Sorry "motown". Motown is the nickname for Detroit. One should proof read before sending!!!!!!!!
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Yahoo!
I bagged myself a copy for a great deal Smile
Now I will try and help the people that don't have it, get it - I have some sources! Smile
Because its really annoying when you can't find a book!

Best wishes,

Kyle
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
If you see it Kyle let me know!

thanks

Mr pink
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
If you see it Kyle let me know!

thanks

Mr pink
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
If you see Elsmley vol.2 Kyle, let me now Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL