The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Nativity Silk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Are there any available?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Doc Haley's Gospel Magic produces a scarf set that has a picture of baby Jesus in the manger.

--> The Real Meaning of Christmas Scarf Set

They seem to be out of stock, but I've seen this item for sale at other magic dealers, such as Hocus Pocus, in their Christmas section. The Hocus Pocus website explains that the misc. Christmas silks are 12" and the nativity one is 14"

Note -- I bought some of Doc Haley's other "silks" years ago (Santa head, Christ Head, Devil head, Dove), and they aren't exactly like other magic silks. They are made from a different, slightly heavier fabric.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Donald. I am aware of that set, but I thought it was probably no longer available. I was really needing something larger than that too, but I may have to settle for it if I can still find a set. It seems someone would print a nice one. Not only a Nativity, but a Christmas tree silk would be good to have too.....maybe a snowman...a present...I could go on and on I guess! I know there are silks with the tree, gift, and so forth on it, but the ones I have seen include other things as well. Usually an entire scene. I would like to have some individual silks with only the various items by themselves printed on them.

I know Tim at Wonder Imagery will do custom work, and I may look into that later on. I remember that Tim did a cross silk for someone a while back. I wonder if he now includes it in his product line? I cannot find it on his website.
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It sounds like you want someone to make a larger version of The Real Meaning of Christmas, on 24" or 36" silks. That would be a nice silk set.

On the topic of a Christmas tree silk, I have an 18" Christmas tree silk set that is made by Practical Magic. UK Magic Dealer, but available at many US Magic Dealers. The routine is called "Christmas Lights", and is a mismade routine that also uses a d'lite. 4 silks to that set.

Tim Sonefelt (Wonder Imagery) also sells a mismade Christmas Tree effect called "Trevor's Tree", and a Christmas tree blendo bag called "The Legend of the Christmas Tree."

A mismade snowman silk set is available from both P&A silks (might be rare now), and also one that Tim Sonefelt (Wonder Imagery) sells. P&A one is called "Frankie the Snowman", the Wonder Imagery one is called "Jozo Bozo's Mis Made Snowman." The P&A one is larger, and the Wonder Imagery one is smaller.

So Christmas tree and Snowman silks exist, just as parts of other sets.

- Donald
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Donald. I had looked at Trevor's Tree and Frankie The Snowman. I had forgotten about the Christmas Lights set. I'm not sure I could use it if it has the light up silk. I will try and look it up.

I could buy these sets and get some of what I want. It would cost me plenty though, and I;d still be missing the Nativity. I'm just really hashing out some ideas in my head while working on a new routine. Ideas start flowing faster than I can digest them and I go in all sorts of different directions! I find it hard to remain on a straight path while I am creating!

Thanks again. I'm still searching around and trying to figure out what I need to do.
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Years ago, I wanted 2 identical silks, 36" in size, that had a scene with the 3 Wise Men and the Star. I found a local silk artist to create them for me.

BTW, the final silk in "Christmas Lights" doesn't actually light up. It's a different trick that ends up with a silk covered in small lights. I think that other one is called "Blendo Bag with Lights."

- Donald

P.S. I'm pretty sure that Laflin Magic made a silk with a drawing of Baby Jesus on it at one time. It's not on the current website, and wasn't shown in their 2005 catalog either. So, maybe that was before when Duane and Mary ran the mail order business, or before when Rebecca Lock ran the mail order business. You could check with David and Teesha to see if they will be carrying it again.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Donald. That clears my confusion about the light up tree.

I have been considering checking with a local artist. In fact I was going through the phone book this morning. I don't know exactly what you are referring to when you say, "silk artist". I was considering an airbrush artist or maybe someone that can do silk-screening. I know a silkscreen guy very well that does our band tee-shirts for us. I'm just not sure he could do it with lightweight silk. Do you know if silk-screening would work on thin, lightweight silk?
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I don't know the answer to that. The artist that I connected with made custom silk scarves (for women), etc. and sold them at local craft fairs. She might have used a silk-screening process to make my wise men silks, I'm not sure. She also did some other silk work for me.

Try typing "silk artist nameofyourcity" into google.

- Donald
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Donald. How did yours turn out?
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Not too bad. They didn't come out exactly identical. Because of that, I only use 1 in the routine. I should take a photo of the silk sometime.

- Donald
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Donald.
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget that Richard Hughes can also make custom silks, as well as Tim Sonefelt.

- Donald
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yes, and both do great work! I'm not sure Richard would do the custom printing, but he has made up some custom dyed silk sets for me before.

By the way, I called my silk-screen guy and he said he could not do what I requested with his equipment. He felt it would get too hot, and controlling the bleed-though would be difficult. He said there is a type of silk-screening that uses a dry ink method, and he thought that would probably work best for this type of thing. However, he didn't even know where to find one!

I used to know a great artist that also did airbrush work. He did some work for my rock band years ago, and he is impressive. I lost touch with him, and I don't even know if he still does any artwork, but I am trying to locate him right now.
Mister Mystery
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Back in December 2011, when this thread was new, I mentioned my 3 Wise Men and the Star Silk that I had custom made for me. Read the previous posts (I think it's a 24" silk, and not a 36" one.)

But I never posted a photo of it. I stumbled across this thread again today, and realized I now have a photo of that silk online.

This is what it looks like:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......64f46942

I posted some photos of some of my Christmas show silks on my Facebook page last December:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......9a749956

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Nativity Silk (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL