The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Punch In the Face (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3542 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 07:12, TStone wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 06:10, funsway wrote:
My concern is how readers might be affected by the idea that personal violence against a stranger is appropriate or acceptable behavior.

Before going any further, I humbly suggest you take one of these.

... and then go and see this:

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/19862/Jerry_Sadowitz.html
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1662 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Well, I took a few runs at it in this thread and the other one funsway started about the exact same thing. I'm gonna quit now before I'm tempted to get rude. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2994 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Mr. Hawkings is currently celebrating his 70th birthday! Remarkable man with a remarkable life.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
It's Hawking, there is no "s"at the end of his name and this thread seriously suggest the existence of Quantum Realities.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2994 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Thank you, Jonathan. I meant no offense. Good to see you posting here.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Atom
The QR post wasn't a jab at you, this is an odd thread, and I shouldn't correct people's spelling because I am the worst speller in the world. I apologize if you felt I took offense. I am an avid astronomer, hence a huge fan of Hawking.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
1016 Posts

Profile of bsears
I think its a shame that someone would cancel their subscription over this silliness. For the record, it is because of funny, talented columnists like David Acer that I subscribe year after year. Keep up the good (funny) work Mr. Acer!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1662 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I had a subscription to Genii as a kid, and I just got my first new issue of the magazine in something like 30 years. It was the January issue, in fact. I just want to say this: If anyone else chooses to cancel their subscription over this silliness, I hope they'll consider just changing the delivery address to mine instead. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I've received some odd comments about things I've written or published over the past 35 years, but this is certainly one of the most strange.

FrenchDrop: glad you enjoyed the first issue of your new subscription!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1662 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Richard, I don't have a subscription yet. I had one for years as a kid. Just started getting back into magic last year, and had Magic Warehouse toss a copy of the latest Genii in with a recent order. (They make it so easy -- or tempting -- with buttons for the latest issues of Genii and Magic that show up every time you add a product to your cart. Smile)

I'm glad I clicked the Genii button. I should probably subscribe and save myself some money over buying it at cover price every time I order something online....
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
FrenchDrop
Without seeming like a shill for Genii magazine -)
I want to say that I find it an excellent value and a good publication. When you combine that with the online-access you get to past Genii issues (through the Conjuring Arts Center database), it's a very good deal. It's very handy, when someone says "this sleight was discussed in Genii month X/year Y", in a discussion or a book's footnote, to be able to go check out the reference.

Best regards,
Larry S.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas Riviera
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I like Genii the magazine. I think the remark in question is benign. I am beginning to prefer Genii, the forum; although, the trolls seem to be everywhere...
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
FrenchDrop, we'll be happy to have you join our merry family.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of rklew64
By Funsway's reasoning, everyone that works for Genii magazine then is a piece of **** for condoning the article by way of allowing it to be published. Kinda hard to believe that stance could be such an absolute thus resulting in a canceled subscription.
What happened to the interpretive understanding of literal vs. figurative.
I don't like some shows on t.v. , do I cancel my Comcast subscription -noooooo.

I'm concerned. : (
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1238 Posts

Profile of rklew64
One more line item, I could never qualify to throw the first stone - AT ALL.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
I personally do not agree with your reason for not subscribing, but that is your right.
Rediscover a lost art.
www.jadoosmagic.com
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1374 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I must have missed all of this but I thought Acer's comment was hilarious. I also find it interesting that people bring up the fact that Stephen Hawking has Lou Gehrig's Disease as if this all would be ok if only he wasn't in a wheelchair. I'm reminded of a group of stutterers who picketed the opening of Nike Town in Southern California years ago because they used a banner with Porky Pig on it.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1044 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Comedy comes from tragedy. Where's the problem?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2994 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
How the hell did this Topic surface again?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
building a horse pen and needs
2630 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 07:54, JordanB wrote:
I died laughing when I read this thread.

Now, now, Jordan...you're not advocating death as the result of tasteless comedy are you? Smile

Frankly, I believe I read it in the way it was meant: A play on words between the "law of physics" and the world's most famous physicist.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: Fellowship of Christian Magicians, KIDabra International
Gary Barker
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
70 Posts

Profile of Gary Barker
I think this is a good example from which we all can learn. We all come from different backgrounds and we all have different perspectives deeply rooted in our individual life experiences. How we express our thoughts and feelings can often draw people in for a closer look or propel them away, often losing the opportunity to convey a message when the method of delivery alienates the audience. Words do matter. I have had this discussion with a professional well known magician who often embraces their freedom of expression and speech with little to no disregard for the audience or tha community of magic at large. While he is free to express himself and many have fought and died to protect that right, what is permissable is not always beneficial. I am not intending to support or denounce what was in the article. I am reminding us that our words do paint pictures, create or spur thoughts and evoke emotions. Realizing that as magicans perhaps we should utilize the "one ahead" principle and consider the weight of our words before we speak them, right them or text them.

Respectfully,

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Punch In the Face (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.150714 seconds, requiring 68 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [9] [7] [9] [3] [8] [7] [7]