The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Card Warp Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
It seems like often when I finish card warp by tearing it in half that people will want to see if the pieces match up. The issue is they expect the pieces to match up facing the opposite directions and it can tip the method or at the very least raise suspicion. If I don't put the pieces away I find that people want to see if they match. Is there any other ending to card warp that you would recommend?

Just a note. I find Paul Green's ending actually makes the spectator want to examine it more. So I guess that ending doesn't work for me. Thanks.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I haven't done Card Warp in a long time, but my experience was that people found it even more puzzling when it turned out the halves matched.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Paul Rathbun,

I perform Card Warp regularly using the Michael Close version from his worker’s series.

A long time ago, when I left the two halves on the table, an older child picked them up and sussed out the method. Since then, at the end I simply tear the pieces up into quarters and leave them on the table.

All the best

Mike
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 06:48, Michael J wrote:
Hi Paul Rathbun,

I perform Card Warp regularly using the Michael Close version from his worker’s series.

A long time ago, when I left the two halves on the table, an older child picked them up and sussed out the method. Since then, at the end I simply tear the pieces up into quarters and leave them on the table.

All the best

Mike

I do the same; I refer to these two cards in the specific DECK to be the problem children because they aspire to be quantum physicists instead of magical performers. In that respect I do the warp effect as an example of their difficult nature. Tearing them all into quarters at the end then makes sense and it allows me to use Ortiz's Card Warp deck idea for walkaround! Since I currently do not do a T&R routine there is no disconnect as to why I didn't restore the cards in the CW effect. The presentation works for me.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I need to look up Michael Close's ending; you have piqued my curiosity.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I usually just tear them in half and pull my hands apart so they can see both are facing different direction. Never got a kid or quantum physicists that sussed out the method.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
What about using Gerard's Stapled Warp?

RevJohn
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Under what conditions are you performing this trick?
Formal? Informal? Surrounded? For one person? For three?

I've got a few ways around this, but I need more information before I can answer.

SEY
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
What I normally do is I tear the card into 4 pieces after reveal the " first two pieces", and hang out to them to examine. And I told them try to put the 4 pieces back together, and they will see its the same card.

It works for me, all they ask is " How did you do that ? "

Hope it helps.
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Alain Nu has a finish in which the card is transformed into a card cube.

Wesley James converts the "warped" card into a hypercard by making additional tears and then staples it to the "cover" card.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have always ended the trick this way.... tearing them apart, holding the parts up and asking "Do you know what we have now?" They usually have no ready answer and I interject...."Trash." With that, I dispose of the cards in my pocket and transition to my next trick. Works for me.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Rhettbryson- love the simple out on yours, a little light joke helps with the mis-direction of the truth ...! LoL

My experience is very much like Frenchdrop's, most of the time people have been much more fascinated with the way the card was reversed, even when they looked at both pieces. I originally would tear off the card & hand them the other half with the other card reversed inside immediately after the tear & as they open up the card I would let them pull out the torn piece & have the place it on the table next to mine & I say "& you want to see the craziest thing about this...." I would then match up the 2 faces on each half to show them torn the same....... sometimes pushing this in they're face would throw them off.

I would let it sink in for a minute, then take & toss the 2 halves into nearby garbage can, etc & move along to another card trick......

I then changed my ending game plan after a couple of little kids question it when I was doing this for the parents (out of the mouth of babe's come truth....LoL), I would ask a spectator to open their palm flat face up, put one card half face up in their palm, place the other half face up with just a little over lap so the 1 tear hides the other tear, have them place their other hand palm down atop the cards & ask them to rub their hands forward & backwards a little, say a magic word "Inverso-Correctivus" & when they opened their hands the torn pieces now match........simple but sneaky way to get past that problem with another miracle !
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
I love CW and use the Hyperwarp ending by Wesley James.....leaves them with an impossible souvenir...Tom Frame put out a booklet with a nice routine using gaffs. The booklet contains WJ handling if you don't have Enchantments. The Hypercard Project. I think Hocus Pocus has it. I purchased it directly from Tom even though I have Wesley's book.
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
The Hypercard Project is Tom's ....Enchantments is Wesley's book. I didn't make that too clear
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
MerlinsMagic confused me with:

Quote:
...put one card half face up in their palm, place the other half face up with just a little over lap so the 1 tear hides the other tear, have them place their other hand palm down atop the cards & ask them to rub their hands forward & backwards a little, say a magic word "Inverso-Correctivus" & when they opened their hands the torn pieces now match........

Huh?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Sorry, tried to explain something that may not have read the way I was trying to get across.
Just using a finish up method of my own using the 2 torn halves before the spectator(s) had a chance to look at the 2 pieces & maybe notice and wonder why the 2 torn pieces matched....
By placing both torn pieces face up overlapping the torn parts of the cards (so they didn't notice the torn cards matched) & try to give the impression that the torn pieces would have matched as reversed when you tear it & you have now caused the 2 torn cards to "reverse" again & explainable as to why the torn card "now" match....... not that the 2 halves themselves reversed, but the torn parts of each card......

I use the spectator to help this by put the magic happening in they're hands & cover the reason for anyone to suspect how it may done......& keep any further reason to suspect any monkey biz from me like a card switch. I try to handle it the least I can & put everything into they're hands as soon as possible.

If that made it any clearer......?

So far from me doing my ending version, I have had a double whammy to my spectators & they're so twisted that the believe the card reversed, they "think/beleive" the 1st reversed tear matched (half face-half back) & now they (the tears) "reversed" again & the 2 face halves now match back up at the tear.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Merlinsmagic,
Actually that makes a lot of sense and sounds very good. I always felt people were a little confused at the end about whether the pieces "should" line up or not.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Always use Bill Goodwins Siamese twins and end with tearing into four - works for me..
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 03:23, Steven Youell wrote:
Under what conditions are you performing this trick?
Formal? Informal? Surrounded? For one person? For three?

I've got a few ways around this, but I need more information before I can answer.

SEY

I perform this table hopping usually for 2-4 people. I like the idea of just calling it "trash" and pocketing the pieces and moving on.
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
When I do card warp I have never had a problem with anyone in the audience wanting to see if the torn ends match. I do it for them. I do a business card warp which is actually to me rather effective because if can be done with common everyday objects similar to playing cards.

Magically, Bill Ragsdale
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I've always re-oriented the card and showed that the edges match, and because it's I'm pointing it out to them and answering their question before it's asked out loud it kind of derails the doubt and thus stops people from thinking much further about it. I've rarely had anyone challange me on the fact that the tears should match the other way if it was really reversed. In fact I think it's happend to me twice, and I've done card warp A LOT over the years in three different variations. (The Michael Close routine is my favorite)
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Card Warp Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL