The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Origin of Gene Anderson's Newspaper Routine Patter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leo M
View Profile
New user
London, UK.
1 Post

Profile of Leo M
Hello,

I am writing a dissertation on illusion and visuality in the late 19th, early twentieth century. In my introduction I am currently quoting Doug Henning's Performance of the torn and restored newspaper routine,
"The only thing a magician ever really does is to ask one question; what is real and what is illusion." I know the origin of the routine is with Gene Anderson but is the patter as well?
I would just like to accredit the correct person, so if anyone knows its origin it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I'm sure Jim Steinmeyer could answer that question.

Gerry
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Have you purchased the trick and read Gene's instructions? It may give you the answer.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
I have a related question. Who was the magician that routined the newspaper tear around being on a train? As the train compartment got more crowded, he kept on tearing up the newspaper he was reading because he didn't have room to spread it out. When all the other passengers left, voila, he spread it out again fully restored.

I think it's a great routine and I'd love to know who came up with it.

Frank
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Robert Harbin. It was/is brilliant.

ajp
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
Dear ajp,

Thanks so much. I was able to find it on YouTube and it is even better than I remembered it.

Frank
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I know this is an old post, but if you still need the info, I got it off of “Newspaper Magic” by Gene Anderson and Frances Marshall.

Anderson starts the routine with these words, “Ladies and Gentlemen. Tonight I am going to present the illusion of the Torn and Restored Newspaper. In this effect I tear a newspaper into shreds and then, by the sheer magic of mental concentration, I restore the newspaper to its original one piece.”

I won’t go into the rest. You get the idea.

Henning starts off the routine with this set of patter, “You know the only thing a magician really does is to ask one question. ‘What’s real and what’s illusion?’ For instance, what can be more real than a newspaper? You all know that everything you read in the newspaper is true.” Laugh.

“Well, look… here is a newspaper. Very solid, very real. Now if I was to tear this newspaper into shreds, it would become a torn newspaper now wouldn’t it? It would be impossible to put the paper back into it’s original one piece. “

Doug smiles at the audience.

“Or would it?”

Then he goes into Anderson’s routine almost word for word. He changes it a bit near the end, but it’s almost the same patter as Anderson’s at this point.

Hope this helps.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I just saw Gene at Abbott's 75th.

Yep......he's a legend, a great guy, and I LOVE and do his routine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Origin of Gene Anderson's Newspaper Routine Patter? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL