The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel magic effect/Gospel magic book of the year? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
In another well read section of The Magic Café', Vlad hosts a spirited discussion on "nominations" for the magic trick and the magic book of the year (e.g. including those released only in 2011). I enjoy reading these entries as it gives me an idea of what books or tricks to take a second look at if I do not already have it.

The Scripting Magic book is a good example- after FCMer Carrie and others gave it a good review- I know that I will be checking that book out completely for possible purchase the next time I see it (usually there are a large number of new books available for sale at Abbott's Get-Together including from H&R books, or at the FCM convention, etc.). Another book that has gotten rave reviews is the one by Patrick Page or Page Magic- even though until seeing it on The Café'- I had never even heard of it before or ever seen it advertised.

Anyway, in that same vein, I do not know if "Gospel magic" has enough new releases each year to warrant such a new topic being discussed here... but I guarantee I would be reading any entries under this new heading as to recommended Gospel magic books or effects I may have missed for 2011 that are placed into "nomination."

Or maybe we should go back five years? 25 years? Forever? This might be an interesting subsection to see what the Café' folks think would be the "best" Gospel magic or Gospel magic books of all time...

What makes this somewhat unique is many terrific Gospel magic routines are simply "secular" tricks with excellent Gospel/Biblical patter. Maybe we could include best published "Gospel application patter" as well for a "standard" trick catagory (including published routines from the Voice of the FCM)?

Your thoughts appreciated. You may believe this whole new topic is not really needed here as there have been several previous topics regarding "most favorite" tricks, etc..- all which I have enjoyed reading and considering.

However, I do also think this new topic could assist newcomers in the FCM to give them an idea of what tricks/books/routines are thought highly of by others who may been around for awhile or even by just those who had a nice "find" someplace. I know I have purchased lots of stuff over the years that I found out later to my dismay actually had very little Gospel application or practical performance value. I know Kif thought maybe having a "product review" in The Voice of FCM would be a good idea- except probably not enough stuff would be submitted.

What say ye? Anyone interested? Obviously, if no one else posts under this heading, this will answer my own inquiry.

"Roger Magic Bus" from http://www.ChristianMagician.org
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I would be interested in something like this for the simple fact that I don't really know many of those who put out gospel related tricks or where to find them. I would suggest maybe separating it into a couple different threads though to help try to keep them on topic (e.g., one for best of this year, one for best of all time, etc)...

Thanks for the suggestion Roger!
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
Until Gospel magicians start coming up with fresh routines without the need to take a secular routine and apply scripture to it, I don't see why any awards should be handed out. What I am getting at is I know of only one person who actually creates his own routines. There are many talented and creative magicians who are not Christians inventing coin routines, card tricks, etc. I wish I could say the same for Gospel magicians. However, on one hand I hear how Gospel magicians should always aim to be the best, yet then they always keep the bar very low. Giving awards out for what's out there right now is indeed lowering the bar. I encourage more christian magicians to become more creative, and I don't mean creative in the sense of being able to take a secular trick and apply a message to it. There is not much skill in that. There isn't much skill needed to sit down and put scriptures to secular tricks. Both have already been worked out, and all that's needed is to be tied together.

I encourage Christians to be original, and start being more creative. God gave you a talent to be able to create material on your own and be original, not a copy cat who relies on non Christians to create routines for them. I don't mean rebuilding secular props for gospel presentations either. It's hard to take Gospel magic serious when I see so little attention paid to the craft and little regard for the scriptures. I don't think anyone deserves an award for writing a book that presents secular tricks to Gospel scriptures. Nothing original about it. I don't think anyone should get an award for best appied scripture to secular trick. It's time to raise the bar, and encourage one another to be self creative.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Gary - I don't think there is anything incorrect about taking an effect that has already been 'invented' and using it for the Lord.

The best loved and important hymns we still sing today were once beer-drinking songs. Someone took them
and dedicated them to Christ. That is how we know them today......

Blessings.
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
Really, I'm not sure what hymns you are talking about. However, you miss the point, if you were a hymn writer I'd expect you to write original hymns.

I didn't say it was incorrect to use other routines and props and change them for a Gospel presentation. I'm saying no one desreves an award for that. Until Gospel magic can start relying on it's magicians to create new fresh idea's rather than using other people's idea's, I don't see why anyone deserves an award.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I believe it is commonly understood that "A Mighty Fortess Is Our God" by Martin Luther (as just one example) has the melody of a common drinking song from that same time period. The national anthem/melody of Finland ("Finlandia") has been adopted for a number of hymns too including being in "The Psalter Hymnal"- I love that particular melody. I was not even aware of it until I heard it played at the Olympics- I originally thought: why are they playing that hymn for that guy getting his medal?

Whoops, did not mean to do that or start a competition- no awards- just a friendly "contest" in paper only I guess created to highlight new or old Gospel magic, books, or routines that may be otherwise overlooked.

As for originality, I have been buying, purchasing and performing magic on and off since 1965. It is pretty rare, even in this day and age, for a totally original trick to be created.

Some of the "current" nominees in the "secular" world for best this or that are loaded with references to past performers, past routines, basic principles of magic, past "moves", and past ideas of others.

Revered performers such as Dai Vernon in some instances were simply tweaking ideas published or used earlier by his contemporaries. Jeff McBride's and Levent's excellent DVD works also immediately come to mind- with all their ongoing and proper crediting as to who originated what move first, etc.. Dean's Box is one of my favorite routines- and I use it all the time- but the original rope moves of that highly decorated and honored effect were in fact published by the late Sid Lorraine many years ago- and Sid probably got those rope moves from somewhere else. Magicians have been using thread for decades- but the invisable thread itself and the reels that dispense it continues to evolve yearly it seems.

Anyway, you get my point. Some things may be totally brand new in the magic world, but not much.

I can remember as a teen in the early 1970's being spellbound by the original Gospel magic routines of FCM Presidents John deVries (who did in fact invent several brand new effects including some still manufactured by Abbott's), Jimmy Lake and Bill Baker. Jimmy was also a full time pro and President of the IBM. Just great original routines, some using "standard tricks" like Bill using his wonderful version of the "Sands of the Desert" to present the Gospel. A classic.

So anyway, if anyone would like, I will stew on this for awhile and at least present some significant Gospel magic books, magic and routines I have stumbled across over the years. My opinion only obviously. Probably most have been mentioned before on The Magic Café', but it may be a nice heading to get perhaps some more discussion going. Obviously, I will be the first to admit, if someone has a glowing review about something they have seen or read in the Gospel magic realm that has been of great use/value to them, I will be checking it out for myself in a heartbeat...

Have a great day all, thanks again for keeping company here on The Magic Café'.

Roger Magic Bus from Kalamazoo
(and the childhood home of the Green Bay Packer's Greg Jennings and the Yankees Derek Jeter- and yep- I do have in fact a bunch of autographed baseballs by Derek- we all knew he was a special player even when he was playing for Kalamazoo Central HS- a very nice guy who still comes back here pretty much every year to support the local community as does Greg as well) Go Packers! (now that the Lions are out of the playoffs) Smile
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
Hi MagicBus,

You are correct in what you say, and I agree with you. However, take coin routines for instance. The creator may not have created the moves he used to create his original coin routine, but the routine was original in the sense that he created it using various sleight of hand techniques he spend years learning and practicing.

There is a big deference as to what I am getting at though. I'm not talking about creating new sleights. Heck, most Gospel magicians can't even create an original routine, why expect them to reinvent the wheel. (lol)

Gospel magic needs creative minds that can think for themselves. Otherwise everyone is doing what everyone else is doing. And, I look back in ten years of history, and everyone is still doing the same stuff that everyone was doing ten years ago.

Taking a secular trick, let's say, Gypsy Balloon. Putting a scripture piece to it is not hard at all, and takes very little creativeness. I'm saying, where are the Gospel magicians who can create routines like the Gypsy Balloon? What Gospel magic routine is not another routine but just a different patter/scripture? This is my point.

I say it's time to raise the bar and start looking for inovators in the Gospel magic industry. If we are going to aspire to be the best we can be, for the glory of God, then I see what I say as an encouragement. I encourage more creativeness from the Gospel magic community. I sure hope in 10 years I'm still not seeing the same old stuff being performed by everyone still.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Well, I will get the start of the discussion rolling. All-Time Nomination #1 (and a pretty obvious one):

I would start off/"nominate"/mention the "Gospel magic" effect I first purchased 20 years ago-the Andre' Kole "Three Ball Illustration." I did this "illustration" using three large Nerf type balls and a steel rod just a few weeks ago at The Kalamazoo Gospel Mission to close out my program- and not only does it have a great message obviously- I amazingly still had a number of people ask afterwards "How did you do that?" (when it is not really even designed to be a "magic" trick).

This simple illustration has been performed all over the world- I saw Operation Mobilization evangelist and missionary Richard Sharp use the jumbo version in Grenada as part of an outreach event there- and it was a great "tool" in his evangelistic toolbox. Although it is ultimately the Word of God/His Spirit that convicts the human heart, Andre',Richard, MagicBob and many others have used the "Three Ball Illustration" effectively in all kinds of cultures and settings. Highly recommended (and I believe it is still available for purchase through the Andre' Kole web site).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I am not sure if Andre' Kole sells the "Three Ball Illustation" anymore (I did not see it on his web site of http://www.AndreKole.org) but it may be still available from the Campus Crusade for Christ store (or email Andre' to see if he still has them available for sale- he used to have them in three sizes: small, mid-size, and jumbo... and the prices were all very reasonable).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Yep, I will answer my own question, the "Three Ball Illustration" in several sizes is still available under "Resources" at http://www.andrekoleministry.org
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Ha, no problem, MBus. Thanks for the discussion!

Quote:
Whoops, did not mean to do that or start a competition- no awards- just a friendly "contest" in paper only I guess created to highlight new or old Gospel magic, books, or routines that may be otherwise overlooked.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
MagicBob doing his version of the Andre' Kole Three Ball Illustration can be viewed on Now That's Magic! #1 at the 15 minute mark of the program at http://www.ChristianMagician.org

My number 2 nomination would be Duane Laflin's "What Color Is Your Bible?" stage card trick, which Duane has re-released on DVD using jumbo cards with the message being "Where Will Your Faith Take You?" (to the King of Hearts). Although Duane no longer manufactures "What Color Is Your Bible?", he has included it in prior lecture notes and DVDs and the reader/viewer is able to make up their own individual set of any size Bible cards. I made up my own regular sized cards using a cartoon type Bible image off the internet and used colored pencils to color in the various color Bibles (and pasted these to regular playing cards). So I have Duane's stage size and my own personal close-up set.

The "What Color Is Your Bible?" effect is extremely easy to perform, is baffling, but has a very logical Biblical message that directly ties into the natural "action" of the effect. The prediction of chosing the "red" Bible being tied into the message of having a "read" Bible is a terrific original idea. I did this effect last December at a Gideons Christmas Party (they are the folks that put Bibles in hotel rooms, etc.)- it related perfectly to what they do as an organization. Woodrow Kroll's January, 2012 message on the Bible to the Gideons was to revere, read and respond to the Bible- the book they distribute has many writers- but only one author- God.

I filmed "What Color Is Your Bible?" some years ago and have since improved my routine by adding more Scripture to it, but my first attempt can be viewed at the 12:45 mark on Now That's Magic! #8 at the 12:45 mark at http://www.ChristianMagician.org I try to do this trick every opportunity I can when Gospel magic is appropriate. Highly recommended and I hope Duane puts it out again sometime in the future.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I probably will never use this specifically for a Gospel magic routine, but I got yesterday from Joe Eddie Fairchild http://www.fairchildmagic.com his "Impossible Examinable Double Hole Wrist Chopper." Wow- what a great trick. Eat your heart out Kif. Well worth saving up for with all my spare money from last year to finally buy it. I was like the kid from the "A Christmas Story" movie eagerly waiting for the mail to bring his decoder ring. Absolutely hands down my favorite personally owned trick of all time. Packs super small, but I think it will play very big. Extremely thick and solid blade, the frame is beautiful and very well made, and it has a deceptive operating principle (very different from other arm or wrist shoppers/penetrations I have seen before). This trick is so good you could perform it close up and people would still not be able to figure it out. I just cannot positively rave enough about this most excellent effect. Congrats to Joe Eddie and Betty Fairchild (who were on the cover of the September, 2011 issue of The Linking Ring magazine) for making this great stuff in your Florida workshop. I can see why Duane Laflin uses Joe Eddie to produce some of his props. A+ If Joe Eddie is at the 2012 FCM convention again as a dealer or if you see him elsewhere, be sure to ask him to demonstrate it for you.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Without a doubt Joe makes great props. I have a few on order right now and can't wait until I get them.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 16:02, MagicBus wrote:
... I got yesterday from Joe Eddie Fairchild http://www.fairchildmagic.com his "Impossible Examinable Double Hole Wrist Chopper." Wow- what a great trick. Eat your heart out Kif...

Very nice.

Duane Laflin has a great gospel routine for the guillotine...which is kind of a game show format. Very effective when done well. Perhaps you can find that and work something out for your new effect...
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I did not know that Kif- thanks for the tip! I think I have just about everything Duane ever produced but have never seen that routine before. Duane is so generous I know that if I emailed him he'd probably send me his complete routine with permission to use it- Duane is really great in that regard particularly if it involves a Gospel presentation. I probably will use this great prop near the beginning of any program I do, so probably will not use it in that way. I am using it with a "steel through steel" theme- doing the crash link first- then graduating up to the solid steel blade.

Complete sidebar: Big controversy in magic circles is what routines you can "borrow" from another performer? I think if the trick itself is publically sold, you can buy the trick obviously but cannot "steal" someone else's specific routine for it even if it is performed publically.

However, if the routine is sold via DVD, book or lecture form, then one usually can use the routine also. There are some exceptions- Levent for example in his Linking Rings DVDs specifically asks folks to not copy his music arrangement for his own ring routine that he shows near the end of the series.

Then it gets even more confusing when a performer releases his own DVD for sale which "modifies" or is "inspired by" what someone else has previously released- and it may be "credited". Personally, I think one needs to get permission to do that first unless the "move" is so old it is kinda considered in the public domain. That being said, I understand that there are a few DVDs out there which show how a trick is done, but then prohibit the buyer from using the same routine (encouraging them to create their own). That seems a little fuzzy grey area fro sure. It would be like (weak analogy I know)selling a car but prohibiting one from driving it like the original owner.

Thanks again Kif, and if anyone out there knows if Duane ever put this routine on one of his commercial DVDs or lecture notes someplace- I would sure like to buy it to take a look at it for sure. If it is just in one of his "show" DVDs, not in a teaching DVD, I would feel funny about using his routine also without Duane's permission first too.

Ah, ethics... By the way, nice picture taken by Director Jeff Taylor of FCM President Del Wilson and yours truly posted on the American Museum of Magic Facebook page. We had a terrific time- spent three hours there until closing time that seemed like 30 minutes.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
My wife and I saw the play "Superior Donuts" last night at the Farmer's Alley Theatre in Kalamazoo. As I listened to the actors perform an incredibly complex script, I thought I should put the same amount of effort into any future Gospel magic presentation that I am involved with. Immediately ordered from Denny at Denny and Lee's Magic Shop this morning "Scripting Magic" by Pete McCabe- need to gather whatever pointers I can get.

My next "real" show (being paid for) is in July, plenty of time to script out my program more carefully... That show is a great opportunity for me- it is for adults at a secular campground on a Sunday morning. They usually have all kinds of "variety" at a special Sunday AM program held there (the kids are in another location)- anything and everything is discussed from music to vents to preachers to secular speakers talking about travel. They said I could do Gospel magic if I wanted to- no exclusions- this will be a very unique opportunity to blend both secular magic with a Gospel presentation at the end with no offense being taken.

After seeing "Superior Donuts" last night, a play about a donut shop set in the city of Chicago, don't I need to prepare as much as those remarkable actors did for this "secular" play? Of course I do, can't sugarcoat it.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Does anyone know if the brand new "On Stage With Illusions" book from http://www.laflinmagicstore.com ($69) by Duane Laflin have his fine arm/wrist chopper routine in it? Any Gospel magic content? Just curious...
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wow, I got the "Scripting Magic" book today by Pete McCabe and 26 other guys. It's a whopper at 456 pages. Looks like a worthwhile read for sure. If these authors are even carefully scripting their close up card tricks, we as Gospel performers need to put the same effort into our own stage routines. "We must never forget that the details of presentation are what makes a trick. And study and thought brings us those details. The usual trouble is that we don't bother to think long enough or hard enough." -Al Baker
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 16:41, MagicBus wrote:
Does anyone know if the brand new "On Stage With Illusions" book from http://www.laflinmagicstore.com ($69) by Duane Laflin have his fine arm/wrist chopper routine in it? Any Gospel magic content? Just curious...

I think the routine Kif was referring to is in the book Greater Gospel Magic (by Duane Laflin) on page 141. It uses a head chopper and not a wrist chopper but that may be the one he was referring to.

Good luck.
Andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel magic effect/Gospel magic book of the year? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL