We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Art of Deception (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MVFAN
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
THE ART OF DECEPTION - Chuck Romano first signed edition. I'm wondering what you guys think of the book. Worth buying and what would be a fair price?Thanks much.

Pete
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1230 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I like the book. But then, my art work is discussed in chapter 12 "The Best of Both Worlds," pages 376-378, so I may be a little prejudiced. There are some interesting chapters besides magic book illustrators, such as Chapter III "The Magic of Lithography" that even goes into a little detail about how a lithograph is made before getting to the sample poster artwork. I also liked Chapter X: "Conjuring's Comic Connection" that discussed the "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip, the Blackstone "Super Magician Comics," and Steranko among others. (Did you know that Jack Kirby based DC's "Mr. Miracle" in part on Steranko?) There is some good information about the classic artists like Nelson Hahne (who illustrated _The Linking Ring_ for a long time, a lot of catalog illustrations, and Bobo's _Modern Coin Magic_ ), Francis Martineau (who did the Rice Encyclopedias and hand-lettered the text), Ed Mishell (who did a lot of art work for the Tannen catalogs and various magazines). There are some examples of Ton Onosaka's work for Richard Kaufman's company and Tom Gagnon's work for _The Vernon Chronicles_. There are some European magic illustrators that it would have been nice to have included. I always liked the stylized art that Kemner did for the Anverdi lecture notes. As to a fair price? Check alibris.com, which has copies going for $118.00--but there is a pdf version at lybrary.com for 24.90 and a cd-rom version for 29.90. You can also probably find the first edition for less than alibris's prices, but be sure to check on the page size to make sure whether it's a first or second edition. The first edition is a larger page format than the second edition if that is important to you. Also, the first edition has some color reproductions and some color photographs whereas the smaller second edition is (except for the color dust jacket) all black-and-white.

As a history of illustration in magic, it stands alone and I figure should be on everyone's shelf if they're interested at all in the history of magic.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
MVFAN
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
Thanks for the information. I am assuming the first edition is the signed by the author version.
Jacques
View Profile
Regular user
North
182 Posts

Profile of Jacques
I like the book. It’s full of information. However I would have liked more on illustrations from early publications on magic. Also more on the conceptual approach to illustrating sleights, movements, hidden elements, etc. would have been appreciated. This is an important part of illustrating the processes in our art. For examples of what I mean, take a look at Edward R. Tufte, “Visual Explanations”. His third chapter is titled “Explaining magic”. He uses several examples from the magic literature to explain how artists describe actions.
Nevertheless, as a history of illustration in 20th century magic, this is a very interesting book.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6882 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The second edition did include some revisions and more illustrations but omitted some of the color plates.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
cromano
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of cromano
George Daily had one of the first editions on ebay this week for $65.00. That was a great price and I don't think it sold. The book sold for $110 when it came out 1997.

The second edition is still available and retails for $65.00. It has additional material that wasn't included in the first edition.

Like the first edition, the second edition of 500 is also signed and numbered. It is sold out, but I have a couple of copies for sale. If anyone would like one, email me at crmagic@comcast.net and I will give you a special MAGIC Café discount.

Best Regards,
Chuck Romano
Best Regards,
Chuck Romano
www.chuckromanomagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Art of Deception (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.096027 seconds, requiring 26 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [9] [9] [0] [8] [7] [1]