The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Collection Vol.1 - Where to start?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to receive Harry Lorayne's CC V.1 for my birthday. Smile
What effects can you recommend to me?
I like effects that can be done walkaround, and possibly have some 'visual' aspect to them.
FASIDU stuff is awesome as well Smile

Thanks,

Kyle
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Start at the fitst leaflet. Read the ISBN number slowly. Read the publish date. peel nack the dust jacket and lightly caress the spine. feel its weight. Turn the pages softly. breath from the diaphragm. savour every moment. read the introduction. take it slowly. open a fresh pack of cards and try every effect with cards in hand exactly as written. don't stop until you reach the end.Enjoy the journey. Its one of the best there is.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I recommend start with Impromptu Out of this world and One eye jack sandwich from My favorite card tricks and then read the close up card magic section, maybe his best book (my opinion)
Pablo
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
I agree with magicfish. Just start reading it cover to cover. It is too good to just poke in and out of.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
A few I like that haven't been mentioned are Salt-less, Spirit Writes and Color Quickie.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
When was your birthday? And Happy Birthday, hope you had fun. What a great gift.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Out of This Universe (not "World"); Spirit Writes??!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
a40ntistos
View Profile
New user
Greece
47 Posts

Profile of a40ntistos
Hello everyone,

Is this book an ABC type of book? Can you start from zero or you have to have some basic knowledge??

Thanks
Thanasis
A Quitter Never Wins And A Winner Never Quits
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Hi Thanasis
I went to this book after royal road. No problem. As Harry says, it is more a book of effects rather than complex sleights. I think he explains pretty much all the sleights in the book CUCM at the start of the volume, so you probably could start with it completely from scratch, but I would recommend you begin with RRTCM (or both books at the same time) to make sure you get the most out of it. It's a really good book though, I would say it teaches more of the art than the science of card work, which makes a nice change.
Have fun,
Jamie.
a40ntistos
View Profile
New user
Greece
47 Posts

Profile of a40ntistos
I'm really sorry Kyle but I will go a little bit off topic.

Thanks a lot Jamie for your reply. Until now I wasn't a big "fan" of books but for the last days I have decided that I want to have a library with some books.
So every card magician that wants to respect himself is this the first book or something like Card college,Royal road and then the collection??

Thanks in advance for any opinion
Thanasis
A Quitter Never Wins And A Winner Never Quits
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Overthinking, overthinking!!! Just get the darn book, start from the beginning, and you'll have enough stuff to put together about half a dozen (or more) close-up card acts. Or, so I've been told over the years.

JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Yes. That's basically what I was trying to say. Thanks Mr L. It is very good, and it teaches stuff you will use. Better than buying DVDs. My advice is get this, plus RRTCM (or card college), and then DO NOT waste your money on anything else (no matter how tempting) until you've spent a lot of time on them!
If you want to see how it is done, Harry has a you tube site which is v good (other you tube sites are available...). That is my advice as a recent beginner.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Harry's right, you know. There's enough stuff in the Classic Collection to put together several close-up sets.

Here's what I'd recommend. Don't just read through the book, looking for something to inspire you. Instead, get a deck of cards, and read through each effect with the cards in hand. Make a real effort to try each effect, one at a time. If you have trouble learning this way, record the complete description of the mechanics for the effect by speaking out loud and using a digital recorder or a small tape recorder. Then, play back the recording and work the effect out, with the cards in your hands. At times you'll need to pause the recording, but that's part of the learning process.

To reiterate: Harry's works are best understood if you work them out as you read them, with the cards in hand.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, JamieUK. Interesting to me that a "recent beginner" can give advice (instead of accepting advice). No problem; just curious.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Don't misunderstand - I'm not putting anyone down; your advice happens to be about 98% right on.

Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
119 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Wow what a great present for you Kyle, hope you enjoy it.

Hope you had a great birthday too.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 10:13, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Out of This Universe (not "World"); Spirit Writes??!!
Sorry Harry,

Spirit Writes was in Close-up Card Magic. I guess you didn't include it in the rewrite for CC1.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Kyle,

Apex Ace, Lost and Found Aces, Vernon's Aces, Challenge Aces, Aces Wild, and Take Me to Your Leader, are some great four ace tricks found in CUCM and Classic Collection I.

Larry Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
When I was a kid, there were only TWO good, serious books on Sleight of Hand: Greater Magic and The Amateur Magicians Handbook. My next one was CUCM. Yes, you can start from the beginning. Harry pretty much explains the sleights he uses and IMO the book is complete in that regard.

Anyway... the material in that book is not only excellent, it's audience tested, magician tested and there are STILL tricks in there I do all the time. I NEVER work at The Magic Castle without doing The Apex Ace.

If you got this for a present, then someone either loves you very much or got lucky in their choice.

SEY
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 11:54, JamieUK wrote:
My advice is get this, plus RRTCM (or card college), and then DO NOT waste your money on anything else (no matter how tempting) until you've spent a lot of time on them!

With all due respect, I strongly disagree, particularly for the book in question. I would suggest that TCC 1 be his first major purchase-- even before Card College. With TCC 1, most people starting out can have some devastating effects in a very short period of time. And that's important in order for a beginner to maintain his enthusiasm.

SEY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Collection Vol.1 - Where to start?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL