The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cheap Two Inch Billiard Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I came across these 2" Billiard Balls made in China, they are soft, so they will not shoot from between the fingers as a firmer Billiard Ball has a tendency to do. So they could be compared to Sponge Ball - Billiard Balls in a way. The price is beyond belief, even with international postage being sent 1st Class mail. I guess that is due to the lightness of the balls.

I went ahead and ordered a set, just to see if they are good looking as the promo pictures. They do not have any available in 1-3/4" size, but I did find them available in 1-1/2" size. Just like most things today, everything but what you think will work best for you.

Here is the posting:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Multiplyin......6cc04729

Anyone have any experience with these Soft Billiard Balls from China?

Click here to view attached image.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is an example of their squeezability?

Click here to view attached image.

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3504 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Those look pretty good. The "squeezability" may make them very easy to work with. What did this cost in US dollars?

Please let us know what you think of them when you get them.

Thanks,

Jim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
With postage $13.00, not bad if the shell is firm feeling.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11113 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nice find. It looks like you might have to wait a bit for them because of their holiday, but the price is hard to beat. Can't wait to hear what you think of them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 14:51, Michael Baker wrote:
Nice find. It looks like you might have to wait a bit for them because of their holiday, but the price is hard to beat. Can't wait to hear what you think of them.

No, I just made their holiday date.

They were mailed out today, or yesterday, which is today here but tommorrow there. Isn't time travel fun? These balls are really magic being able to move from one day to the same day, the next day. LOL

So I should have them in a week or so, I guess. They even sent them 1st class mail.

I will review them when they arrive, I am interested if they will work well, as well.

Wouldn't you know it they are only available in red, but the smaller size is available in red and white. That I found with a different dealer in China on the same web site referenced above.

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9476 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have a few balls like that, (different colors) which I got from the petstore. They have a few ribbons coming out of them (which can be removed) but they look and squeeze just like the photo.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
These come with 2 shells and 4 balls. If they work out, I was thinking of getting a 2nd set and make a Flash 4 set out of them.

Yes, I see the seams on the balls, and that 1st one in the photo is a shell, very slightly off color in the photo anyway.

I would say if the squeezability makes them impossible to drop or be knocked out from between the fingers, then it is money well spent.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11113 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 10:40, wmhegbli wrote:
... or be knocked out from between the fingers...

Sound like you work for a rough crowd! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Jeff McBride had me practice with these. The shell is difficult to work with at first. Because it's soft one has a tendacy to squeeze too hard when the ball comes out of it. Other than that, it's not too bad.
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
I believe friend of mine had those.They handled very well and felt very comfortable. Even though I am not 100% sure that this is it. If someones looking for good and cheap balls made from rubber I know where to get them, you can PM me.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I have a set of these in 2" They are great. I really like them. I think you will too. They are unique to anything I have used before. The shells are decent also. Good luck.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 21:53, Peter Pitchford wrote:
I have a set of these in 2" They are great. I really like them. I think you will too. They are unique to anything I have used before. The shells are decent also. Good luck.

That is great to hear!

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3393 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I assume they bounce?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 22:07, JamesinLA wrote:
I assume they bounce?

Jim

Why? I don't bounce my Billiard Balls. Wood Billiard Balls as well as real Billiard Balls don't bounce either.

I have not received my set yet, but I will test them just for you, Jim, to see if they bounce. Although, I have never read a routine where the balls are bounced. I do know Tim Wright has a unique returning ball bounce in his act that gets good reaction from the audience.

Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18516 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I see on their web site a ripoff of Porper's folding key in bottle, and card clip .... wonder what others they KO'd?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1676 Posts

Profile of Anatole
As I recall, Greg Frewin has a visual and extremely startling sequence in his dove act when he bounces a ball on the floor and it turns into a dove on the rebound. (Actually, it might be two balls that bounce and turn into two doves. I haven't seen it in a long time. It's not part of a multiplying ball routine, but it _is_ very magical looking.)

Since most "billiard balls" used by magicians are usually solid colored balls without the numbers or stripes we would see in a game of billiards, I don't think the audience really cares whether the balls are wood, rubber or silicon. Most people in the audience are probably more familiar with solid colored high-bounce silicon "superballs" than they are with "billiard balls" anyway. You don't often see magicians producing wooden balls with numbers and stripes on them, so calling them "billiard balls" doesn't really seem to make sense, especially when most multiplying balls are not the size of regulation billiard balls. I did a multiplying ball routine with white 2" Fakini balls and I heard someone in the audience call them eggs, so I don't think it really matters what we as magicians think the balls represent.

To be an extreme devil's advocate, one might posit that a magician could make even a wooden ball bounce by using his magic powers. Like the gag of throwing a handkerchief down and making it bounce. Handkerchiefs are made of fabric and shouldn't bounce either, but it's a startling and comic effect to see one do that.

Hats don't bounce either--but there's an extremely funny bit with a bouncing hat toward the end of this classic "I Love Lucy" ep in which Lucy is impersonating Harpo Marx. Take a look at it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYVbEAPSTo

I've always thought that a lot could be learned about presenting entertaining manipulative magic by watching films of great silent comedy film stars like Charlie Chaplin, or later comic actors like Laurel and Hardy.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 12:55am
Here's a great videoclip (after the commercial message) of Greg Frewin's act including the bouncing balls to doves:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnbn8j_......creation

The balls to dove effect occurs at about 4:00 into the clip. You'll notice that Greg does some straight juggling moves with the balls prior to changing them to doves. I think a magician who also does some juggling is as acceptable/legitimate as a dancer who also does some singing (e.g. Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly). I know that a lot of "theorists" condemn overt displays of "juggling." But I still think many audiences expect that magicians who do card tricks should be able to handle them with consummate dexterity.

----- Sonny Narvaez
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3393 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Bill. I do bounce my BB in my routine.
Regarding how the audience perceives magician's BB's, per Levent's BB essays in his dvd set, the audiences of old thought that the old BBs were snooker balls, which is a billiard type game whose balls are solid colored.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2897 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2012-01-24 00:29, Anatole wrote:
As I recall, Greg Frewin has a visual and extremely startling sequence in his dove act when he bounces a ball on the floor and it turns into a dove on the rebound. (Actually, it might be two balls that bounce and turn into two doves. I haven't seen it in a long time. It's not part of a multiplying ball routine, but it _is_ very magical looking.)

Since most "billiard balls" used by magicians are usually solid colored balls without the numbers or stripes we would see in a game of billiards, I don't think the audience really cares whether the balls are wood, rubber or silicon. Most people in the audience are probably more familiar with solid colored high-bounce silicon "superballs" than they are with "billiard balls" anyway. You don't often see magicians producing wooden balls with numbers and stripes on them, so calling them "billiard balls" doesn't really seem to make sense, especially when most multiplying balls are not the size of regulation billiard balls. I did a multiplying ball routine with white 2" Fakini balls and I heard someone in the audience call them eggs, so I don't think it really matters what we as magicians think the balls represent.

To be an extreme devil's advocate, one might posit that a magician could make even a wooden ball bounce by using his magic powers. Like the gag of throwing a handkerchief down and making it bounce. Handkerchiefs are made of fabric and shouldn't bounce either, but it's a startling and comic effect to see one do that.

Hats don't bounce either--but there's an extremely funny bit with a bouncing hat toward the end of this classic "I Love Lucy" ep in which Lucy is impersonating Harpo Marx. Take a look at it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYVbEAPSTo

I've always thought that a lot could be learned about presenting entertaining manipulative magic by watching films of great silent comedy film stars like Charlie Chaplin, or later comic actors like Laurel and Hardy.

From Wikipedia:

Historically, the umbrella term was billiards.

While that familiar name is still employed by some as a generic label for all such games, the word's usage has splintered into more exclusive competing meanings in various parts of the world.

For example, in British and Australian English, "billiards" usually refers exclusively to the game of English billiards, while in American and Canadian English it is sometimes used to refer to a particular game or class of games, or to all cue games in general, depending upon dialect and context.

English Billiards, including Snooker, are games played with solid colored balls.

In my opinion the bounce is the convincer that the balls are solid. It replaces the lovely "click" that two solid balls can make. The advantage of the wood or resin balls is that the click can be made with the shell over one of the balls.

It doesn't matter what the material of the balls is, as long as the audience safely assumes they are solid.

In most respects, I think the silicone ball and shell, because of the bounce, and because the idea of a half rubber ball or a shell made out of silicone would not bounce and seems so improbable structurally. Wood or resin might be hollowed out to make a shell, but a rubber ball?

Although these balls don't bounce, it is only necessary to have one silicone ball, perhaps a different color, introduced into the routine, to bounce to convince that all the others are also solid and bouncy.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What a whirlwind of controversy over whether balls bounce. I see many balls bounce if thrown hard enough against a solid surface, but I was referring to bounce in the traditional sense. Drop a the ball with only gravity to draw the ball toward the ground and the bounce would be hard to measure with wood and regulation Billiard Balls.

Greg Frewin used what looked like Tennis Balls, and when I seen his act, he only juggled them without using any of the traditional magician Billiard Ball moves. Tennis Balls are made to bounce as in the game of Tennis. That was a real stretch to being Billiard Balls manipulation in my opinion.

The balls mentioned above, do come with some hard shells, so knocking them together would create a solid sound. As for the "ringing in a ringer ball", well here we have to find a matching ball, and that has always been a problem in magic. Manufacturers of magic props, for some reason, don't like to make matching items.

I was thinking if the hard shells were to soft, it might not be a bad idea to have some wood shells custom made for the balls. This would make it possible to have a firm grip and as mentioned create a sound when knocked together. Again, though, color matching would be a challenge.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cheap Two Inch Billiard Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL