The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Deception Deluxe by Mark Mason (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..12~13~14 [Next]
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Craigers
Thanks J-mac. you know I'm very much a hobbyist and "perform" mostly for friends and family. They are by far the worst when it comes to asking questions and wanting to examine "things"
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of danster08
Wow! I just got this (in quarter version) and absolutely love it. I am not sure about some of the reviews saying the coins cannot be examined. I have had the the most skeptical spectators check it and never think anything funny about them. This absolutely fries people's minds. I am so glad that I got it.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
@danster, no problems at all with spectators examining the coins, as long as you don't let anyone examine both coins together. Make sure the coins are in the hands of two different persons at all times.

@craigers, your hand goes under the silk so you can direct a volunteer where and how to place their hand for the purpose of pulling the coin through.

Jim
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Does this have an external or internal groove??
So can I place it into a specs hand in the open position or in their fingers like in Eric Jones' coins across??

Thanks
Sleepy
magicman2204
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magicman2204
Hi all. I recently bought double deception deluxe £2 version and the coins have become very discoloured and so don't look genuine now. Is there some way of cleaning them without damaging the workings of the coins? Any help is gratefully received!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I use silver polish on my US Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves and Morgans (all of which are the same "workings" as the DDD Gaff) You can also use mild dish soap and water, some folks use a bit of toothpaste. I have had some of mine for around 5 years and never had to touch the "workings". When I do polish, about twice a year or so, I polish ALL my silver for consistency.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicman2204
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magicman2204
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I use silver polish on my US Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves and Morgans (all of which are the same "workings" as the DDD Gaff) You can also use mild dish soap and water, some folks use a bit of toothpaste. I have had some of mine for around 5 years and never had to touch the "workings". When I do polish, about twice a year or so, I polish ALL my silver for consistency.

Thank you very much. I'll try those options and see if that helps. Appreciate the prompt response!
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
So I got the DDD (50 cent) and I'm having a hard time believing in the "spectator pulls it through" scenario. I've tried both fine (Rice) and thicker types of silks. Once everything is set up, if I simply pull the coin down, the gimmick just continues to sit on top of the silk without closing, in fact, without moving a millimeter. Whether I pull gently (slowly) or firmly (quickly) the result is the same. The only way to make it "function" is to not only pull the coin down, but simultaneously bump the cloth UP - and I can't be confident the average spectator will do that. I could perhaps surreptitiously poke the silk, or nudge an assistant's arm to cause the cloth to jerk at the correct moment, but that certainly does not seem necessary in the demo. The gimmick I received, however, does in isolation appear to behave the same as the one in the video instructions. Any comments?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2016, martonikus wrote:
So I got the DDD (50 cent) and I'm having a hard time believing in the "spectator pulls it through" scenario. I've tried both fine (Rice) and thicker types of silks. Once everything is set up, if I simply pull the coin down, the gimmick just continues to sit on top of the silk without closing, in fact, without moving a millimeter. Whether I pull gently (slowly) or firmly (quickly) the result is the same. The only way to make it "function" is to not only pull the coin down, but simultaneously bump the cloth UP - and I can't be confident the average spectator will do that. I could perhaps surreptitiously poke the silk, or nudge an assistant's arm to cause the cloth to jerk at the correct moment, but that certainly does not seem necessary in the demo. The gimmick I received, however, does in isolation appear to behave the same as the one in the video instructions. Any comments?

First off, I don’t use a regular magician's silk; too translucent. I use a handkerchief or bandana. Next, two spectators should be holding two corners each leaving just a little slack so that the center of the hank is pulled down a bit by the weight of the coins. Then when the coin is "pulled through" it causes the hank to dip even more, causing a kind of catapult effect when the coin is finally "through". That causes the hank to spring upward, tossing the gaff up a short distance which will naturally cause it to act in the manner you would expect.

Are you doing anything different than the above?

Jim
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have watched Mark do this hundreds of times for magicians who would point it out rather than buy it if it "failed". I asked him what he uses as a silk and he told me he had his made from "suit liner" material. I have used a T- shirt in a pinch (and that was with a quarter set).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2016, J-Mac wrote:
I use a handkerchief or bandana. Next, two spectators should be holding two corners each leaving just a little slack so that the center of the hank is pulled down a bit by the weight of the coins. Then when the coin is "pulled through" it causes the hank to dip even more, causing a kind of catapult effect when the coin is finally "through".
Jim

Thank you, that seems to be the answer!
McIntyreMagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn, NY
88 Posts

Profile of McIntyreMagic
Hi all, I recently lost my double deception deluxe coin which I had for 2 years. Is there any way to buy a replacement coin for a lower price? Also, it seems that penguin has stopped carrying it.

Thanks,
John
John McIntyre
My website: http://mcintyremagic.com
Ricardo_ltd
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_ltd
Is it possible to use Tango coins and create the same effect? I'm talking about the Flipper coin and Magnetic coin by Tango Magic.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No. I don't believe they will work. Why not just get Double Deception Deluxe? It's not expensive for the gaffs you get.

Jim
Ricardo_ltd
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_ltd
My concern is that I need the euro version and my local magic store let's me play with the tango coins (euro version) so that I can check if they look "real" enough.

The Double Deception Deluxe euro coins are a shot in a dark for me because I have no information or images that show me how "real" they look.
Ricardo_ltd
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_ltd
Does anybody have some pictures or performance videos with the euro version of this effect? There seems to be no information / pictures about this version anywhere, even in www.jbtv.co.uk.

Some pictures or performances with the euro version would really help with my buying decision (and I'm sure many other magicians that use the euro currency).
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Here is the product page for the 2 Euro Double Deception Deluxe sets at Mark Mason's UK website: http://www.jbtv.co.uk/new-items/double-d......-831.php

The coins are made by Bob Swadling, the inventor or the flipper coin, and while I don’t have any of his Euro gaffs, I can say that his US coin gaffs are beautiful! If you contact Mark Mason he will definitely respond and I'm sure he will send you any photos and/or videos he has. Use the website's contact form.

Jim

PS - I can almost guarantee that Bob Swadling's coins will look as good or, more likely, better than anything from Tango.
Ricardo_ltd
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_ltd
OK, I've contacted him.

Meanwhile, if any of you have any pictures or performances with the euro version, please share.

Thanks
Ricardo_ltd
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_ltd
Mark says that he doesn't have any performance videos with the euro version. Come on guys, is this effect so underground that there is no performance of the euro version or review or any picture of it?

Someone who owns the euro version, give us some feedback, are the 2 euro coins realistic and well made? Can they be carefully inspected without raising suspicion?

Thanks
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Is there a dealer in the US who sells the quarter version?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Deception Deluxe by Mark Mason (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL