The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Andrew Mayne with trailer, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dave
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of dave
Andrew is back again, does he ever sleep?
The demo looks nice, and the effect is simple to follow and nice to watch, and if you are so inclined to give away the butterfies, it will cost you, but you could print fake bills with your info and that would be a nice give away, or perhaps if you had rainbow paper, but then you lose the borrowed bill portion,

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2640
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2041 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I like it!
ToasterJack
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ToasterJack
It makes me think that it will be similar to Mayne's origami effect, no?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2162 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Wow. I've always thought Andrew Mayne was a bit hit and miss, but this looks like genius. Really fooled me. What a splendid effect. It has money - which is interesting for pretty much anyone, young or old. It has butterflies - a traditional symbol of hope and renewal (or at minimum, the least repugnant insects). And the two themes work very well together; ie, money can transform your life, especially when it multiplies magically, and butterflies are closely associated with transformations.

This would have been a terrific effect with just the first change, but then the additional productions really knock it out of the park. Plus it looks to be the kind of thing you could do in a noisy environment, with no script beyond "can I borrow a dollar?" And it's only $15? That's almost embarrassing.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
This is a pretty effect no doubt.

Can't help thinking though that you are paying $15 dollars for the answer to how to fold bills to look like butterflies --everything else in the routine should be standard fare for most magicians ?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4036 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
How would one get out of this? Put them away? Give them away? Tuck them into your wallet, pocket? What happens BEFORE you segue to your next thang? It looks marvelous, but it also looks like the first half of something.
The JOHN WELLS COMPENDIUM includes The Barfly's Billet Test, The Index Card Tear and more. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/jorgenson

Don't forget the freebie.
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
I agree, Tom. Also, to me, this effect begs the obvios question "Yeah, but can they fly?" IT anyone?
dave
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of dave
The question of how to get out of it would be , could be a ton of fun ideas, if you are not borrowing the bill, then you can use multi colored paper, or if using the original, then dropping them into a change bag and producing streamers, what are your ideas,

Dave
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2162 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Why do you need to get out of it? The effect has a nice climax on its own. Of course, the spec is going to want her dollar back, so presumably you could give them the choice of one of the folded ones, or a fresh one from your wallet.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4036 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Well, the getting out of it is how to segue into the next trick...you are left with lovely butterflies. Now what? It seems like tucking your equipment away before you get to the next project. Make them float? Wonderful, how? Change them into something else?
It needs a bump up...beautiful beginnning, what's the finish?

I'd love to see what Jeff McBride could do with it. He wouldn't finish with the production.
The JOHN WELLS COMPENDIUM includes The Barfly's Billet Test, The Index Card Tear and more. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/jorgenson

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1844 Posts

Profile of slyhand
As you awkwardly take them off your body and put them in your pocket. Ho hum.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 23:33, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Well, the getting out of it is how to segue into the next trick...you are left with lovely butterflies. Now what? It seems like tucking your equipment away before you get to the next project. Make them float? Wonderful, how? Change them into something else?
It needs a bump up...beautiful beginnning, what's the finish?

I'd love to see what Jeff McBride could do with it. He wouldn't finish with the production.

Maybe let the last one one produced float for a second using "suspended" by mark southworth.
I think that may look lovely.

Cheers

Al.
Polartec239
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Polartec239
Floating them would be cool. Maybe use this as an ending to your set of routines? And is the trick worth the $15 download price?
ahzhe
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of ahzhe
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
14975 Posts

Profile of joseph
I like both...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
dan the man
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of dan the man
I was also thinking that maybe you could add the floating sequence of Daniel Garcia's "Life"..
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4036 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
With Garcia's, there's not enough float to be effective, it is less than the audience desires to see. The float seems ineffective, even misplaced in that effect. It needs to flutter. The moving wings was the right thing to see, tho. That was nice, tho labored. And the initial transformation was visually pretty.

Mini Zombie rig off a TT? No silk, of course. It wouldn't have to flutter much, flutter up, flutter down, lovingly put away...as long as it establishes that it flies, that's enough.

I think both these tricks are almost there.

RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
I've got an idea for more "float" (the wings may not flap - but this will give you float).
Combine either Garcia's "Life" or Mayne's "Butterfly Effect" with the ending of
Steve Fearson's "Area 51." See the effect here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyIQN04zXI
Watch until the end.
So, you're at home, create the butterfly (either Garcia or Mayne) and decide to set it free.
Finish with the Fearson ending and let the butterfly free into the night sky.
Sure, it will cost you a little over a dollar each performance....but I think it might be worth it.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4036 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Ummm...I think it's that last part that might have some difficulties attached, so to speak. It would be nice, tho...other than the chomping on the butterfly and the dark room, you might have something.

Does Area 52 actually let you have it fly away to the moon, or is that exaggeration?

MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
It really could fly to the top of the atmosphere.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
652 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
It doesn't quite get to the moon but it does go way up and away.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
dan the man
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of dan the man
I guess it would need to be dark outside though, right..?
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
That was my hint....when I said set the butterfly free into the night sky.
dan the man
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of dan the man
Oh ok, didn't really get it sorry. Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8760 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I liked the butterfly out of the folding. I think it becomes confusion that from that one bill, all these critters appear. Then what to do with them?

I'm not sold on it enough to order.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Got this last night but have not tried it yet. Very good and can't wait to try it on an audience. I think that if you were to try this on someone who isn't really into magic( ie. not a paying audience) like my daughter or any family member lol, they would be filled with a momentary sense of wonder and react accordingly.
I am going to learn this and try it from friday & over the weekend at paying gigs(if I can perfect it by then)

Mike Donoghue
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1736 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I would fold the butterfly in front of them, and then produce one of these from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYwVO5W5SGk
sketchomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
217 Posts

Profile of sketchomagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 23:08, Zombie Magic wrote:
I liked the butterfly out of the folding. I think it becomes confusion that from that one bill, all these critters appear. Then what to do with them?

I'm not sold on it enough to order.

I agree Zombie, gets a 'blah' from me.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1397 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Something like this might be nice in a family or kids show:

• After performing your favorite Miser's Dream routine, take one coin and transform it into a dollar (by whatever means you choose)

• Perform the Butterfly Effect

• As a finish, "capture" each butterfly bill in your butterfly net (change bag) and end with a production of a 36" butterfly silk.
You don't drown by falling in the water;
you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
2563 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 09:31, Danny Diamond wrote:
Something like this might be nice in a family or kids show:

• After performing your favorite Miser's Dream routine, take one coin and transform it into a dollar (by whatever means you choose)

• Perform the Butterfly Effect

• As a finish, "capture" each butterfly bill in your butterfly net (change bag) and end with a production of a 36" butterfly silk.

Very nice idea DD!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Butterfly Effect by Andrew Mayne with trailer, (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.251238 seconds, requiring 90 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [4] [6] [0] [4] [3] [6]