The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..20..34..48..62..76..77~78~79 [Next]
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
****edited****
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 16:38, GaryLee wrote:
****edited****

Gary, how do you know there are 60 registrations ?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
From their amateurish, unsecured and UNPROTECTED website, to their lame "Who is behind Real Magic... we have decided not to focus on that or share"....what can you actually expect in reliable service each month? They made a big announcement on The Café and have been flooded with complaints about how they run their website. Yet, they remain silent. Can you imagine how they'll handle problems that naturally will occur with this type of endeavor?

Why have they made this announcement in February and are taking money, but you don't receive any product until 'the beginning' of April?

Considering that BIG name creators in the magic world put out dvds that contain a great deal of filer material, what can you expect as your monthly trick?

When you think about it, how great is this monthly trick going to be? Max Maven himself says 90% of everything released is crap. So this sloppy company is going to release the 10% that is fantastic?

This is what happens when you hide who you are and what you'll get: people start to speculate.
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of toberman
We have an amazing amount of skeptics and one or two "private investigators" here. What's the big debate? Either give it a try for as little as $36 or wait for some feedback in April. It's a pretty simple choice. Personally, I think this is going to be an exciting project.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 16:53, Zombie Magic wrote:
Why have they made this announcement in February and are taking money, but you don't receive any product until 'the beginning' of April?

I think it's so more people can join/subscribe before sending the first product. So more people have the chance to get the first product. It makes sense to me.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I already posted my feelings, but just to clarify them:

First, I don't fear this is a scam, but personally I like to have a little more info before committing this much money. I know it is not a lot to some, but to a hobbyist who is retired and disabled it is too much to risk. I would subscribe but I need a little more of a comfort zone. (I previously subscribed to two other such sites that were disbanded part way into the year. Neither as expensive as this one though)

Second, Gary-how do you know that the site does mot use https? Snce they use PayPal I would almost bet that it IS secure. From experiece I kknow that many sites do not show as https where you fill the form but your data is indeed transmitted over https. I'd like to know if you definitely KNOW the site is not secure, or if this is just a supposition on your part.

Again, I believe that Real Secrets is not a scam and will be safe to sign up. I say that because Brooks is pushing it and more so because Mr. Weber is selling it anad talking it up at Blackpool. I'd just like to hear a few more details before I commit.

Thanks!

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes I'm curious too in a positive way.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
GaryLee
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of GaryLee
Anytime a web page asks you for sensitive information, you need to be able to identify if the page is secure or not. The ability to recognize a secure web connection is extremely important as online fraud cases have increased substantially from year to year. This FAQ is intended to guide you to safer online shopping.

What exactly do we mean by "secure"?

Anytime you view a web site information is sent from your computer to the web server and from the web server to your computer. The transmission of this information is normally sent in "plain text", meaning anyone would be able to read it should they see it. Now consider this. Each piece of information transmitted traverses many computers (servers) to reach its destination.

Try it! - Windows Users, to see just how many machines your information traverses, follow these steps:

1) On your computer, click Start, then Run
2) Type "cmd" and click "OK" (or press Enter)
3) Type this in exactly: tracert http://www.ssl.com
4) Press Enter

Each listing in the window is a different computer/router/switch (a "node" in networking terms). Each "node" represents a point at which any data you send might be recorded! It is not uncommon to see 20-30 listings.

Big deal, right? Consider this the next time you type in a password or your credit card number. Ah! Therein lies the problem. The solution to this problem is to encrypt this data for transmission. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) was created for this very purpose.

SSL uses a complex system of key exchanges between your browser and the server you are communicating with in order to encrypt the data before transmitting it across the web. A web page with an active SSL session is what we mean when we say a web page is "secure".

ALL WEB PAGES ASKING YOU FOR SENSITIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE SECURED USING SSL!!! click to read more http://faq.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10068

http://www.realsecrets.org/ home page

check out page requiring persnal info. http://www.realsecrets.org/cart/checkout

Check the web page URL

Normally, when browsing the web, the URLs (web page addresses) begin with the letters "http". However, over a secure connection the address displayed should begin with "https" - note the "s" at the end.

Some site will only make certain pages secured. For example, if you typed in Ellusionist.com you would get http://www.ellusionist.com/. But, when you get to a page that requires personal info it will look like this, https://www.ellusionist.com/customer/account/login/ or like this, https://www.ellusionist.com/customer/account/create/

I am not saying this is a scam. Nor have I mentioned that. I want to make clear here that there are several concerns that I do hope get resolved.

The gmail account that is used for financial transaction cannot be tracked by reverse search, but the url originally came from godaddy and then transferred to Tucow in Toronto. They have gone to extremes to hide who they are, and some people think that's okay?

So, in answering the question of if the site is safe or not, all depends on if you are going to give it any personal information. To order from them, you will have to give them personal info first. I highly warn people that that info is not protected.

Posted: Feb 20, 2012 10:36pm
I can assure you that those who have registered already have given their personal information on a unsecured website.

This could of been an oversight on realsecrets part, but it's a huge one. One that should never had been missed by anyone who is operating a legit business. By legit, I mean legally registered, tax paying company, not an under the table unregistered mystery company who uses a free email account, and a free website.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
GaryLee, thank you for taking the time to raise a red flag in order to protect Café members. I for one appreciate it!

I hope Steve Brooks publicly thanks you as well. After all, he owns and operates The Magic Café and gave his endorsement of realsecrets.org.

Clarke
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 11:16, Mr. Marko wrote:
I'm signing up, too-- to Reel Magic Magazine.

That is a great investment, I have them all.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
Can you imagine how they'll handle problems that naturally will occur with this type of endeavor?

Yes they will ignore you just like the Café does. But nonetheless, whether people "bash" or praise this idea no publicity is bad publicity. But I got plenty of material that is "hidden" and that no one else performs, in magic books/magazines dating back to the early 1900's. They say the best material is hidden in books, and that is especially true these days. I have several hundred of those so I guess I will good for awhile. But the DVD collection is now getting up there too. I just wish I was not so busy doing the material from books for the last 30 years, then I could actually get a chance to view the DVDs.
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 18:48, JCheng wrote:
Quote:

I think it's so more people can join/subscribe before sending the first product. So more people have the chance to get the first product. It makes sense to me.

Actually that is probably so they can get past the 45 day claim period for paypal in case they don't deliver Smile.

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 12:48am
Yeah nothing is secure on that site until you log into paypal.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Well, I got my refund. I'll wait a little while to see how things sort themselves out with this project before deciding whether or not to jump back in again.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey guys.  I can’t say much due to the whole nature of Real Secrets, but I now know who some of the people behind the project are, and they are VERY well-known and reputable.  I’ve signed up for one year.

As the ad states, these guys already have the material for year 1 completed, and year 2 is planned out.  So they’re not merely one or 2 months ahead of themselves, they have the first year done.

I’m sure they’ve seen the thread here, and I’ve encouraged them to address contact info and security.  There is a contact email address that you receive when you sign up with Real Secrets, but I don’t yet know whether or not it can be publicly shared.  As for the security of the site, (and this is coming from me, not them) the only info you enter in an unprotected area is your address.  All financial info is done through Paypal, which is secure.  Since most addresses can be found in the white pages, I wasn’t too concerned with sharing that info.

I can say that I trust the team behind this project very much, and the material should deliver in a big way.

I think everyone should do what they’re comfortable with though.  For some that might be waiting a little bit for people to start actually having items delivered.  You might miss out on the first month or 2 of products, but your peace of mind could be well worth it.  Up to you, but my order is in, and I have zero trepidation.
Kevin Reylek
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I just don't understand why all the secrecy about the people that run Real Secrets?

Why don't they want to be associated with their own project?
Magic is a vanishing art.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I would just like specifics...don't really like card stuff...would hate to see a platinum special is a card gaff! While I'm concerned too about the security info above I'm intrigued by the skepticism because that would just mean less people in the know so stuff stays secretive
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Kevin Reylek ( Mercury52) is a first rate person that works in the business ( NY Magic Project ) and I trust him.

todsky got a refund. That's excellent. Shady people don't give refunds without being forced to.

And, a friend called me this morning. He attended Blackpool and he swears by this project. He was privy to info we don't have, so I raised all the questions about what was going on and he doesn't know who built the website and about the security issues. This needs to get addressed because it's vital that members are protected and I think Café Members that investigated and reported back to us should be commended. This site is "Magicians Helping Magicians" and I hope no one will be scolded by anyone, Café management or members, for looking out for others.

As soon as the site security issues are fixed, I'm going to take a leap of faith and join. When Steve Brooks sent out the PM I was interested because of the names involved. But I backed off because of all the reasons I have mentioned and those of others.

Come April, if it isn't the exciting project it's made out to be, I'll shout about it. I don't enjoy getting burned by clever dealer ads or fake demos as much as the next Magician. I've re-read the original post by REAL SECRETS and feel we all acted appropriately.That intro letter sounded like that guy who used to send out magic marketing letters years ago. "Better grab this before I regain my sanity and raise the price ". Good grief!

So, I'm joining as soon as it's safe to do so.

Clarke
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
If they revealed who all these big names were it would increase sales, and there would be a lot more sales by those who make cautious purchases. But they are hoping that using this whole secrecy thing will sell the product. But for those who are informed and skeptical this throws up too many red flags. It is targeted at magicians who want to fool magicians, or have material that others can't get, and inflate their egos a little more. But there is a TON of hidden material out there already that no one is doing, and audiences won't know the difference. So I think the whole secrecy thing is pretty childish and going a little to the extreme here.

I don't buy any product that I don't know about, or have reviews on. I already know too many secrets as it is, and still have a lot more waiting to be discovered in my library. So unless there are reviews or back issues I have no problems passing on this.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 00:59, sirbrad wrote:
I don't buy any product that I don't know about...

But instead you will insult those of us who have made the plunge. It is one thing to say you are not going to buy, but to assume you know why any one person went in on it, especially to inflate their ego is presumptuous and insulting.

RevJohn
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 01:05, RevJohn wrote:
Quote:

But instead you will insult those of us who have made the plunge. It is one thing to say you are not going to buy, but to assume you know why any one person went in on it, especially to inflate their ego is presumptuous and insulting.
RevJohn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rev-

I didn't see the insult, but agree that it is an issue with at least 2 points of view and we should all be respectful of the views of others, whether or not they support our argument. I fall into the "once burned" category and am very skeptical of "money up front" promotions. More power to those who jump in and secure a spot. I would probably sign up if the deal was commit now, then we bill you when ready to ship.

Also, the lack of real info and real names is disturbing. What could be the reason? Perhaps it is like a conference with no name main speaker, so the ad reads "special surprise star- to be announced". Meaning no disrespect to the few names mentioned as reason for comfort, but the name "Madoff" echoes in my mind...

I certainly hope this works out well for you, but us conservative types seldom are there for the big win...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 01:05, RevJohn wrote:
Quote:

RevJohn

I did not insult anyone, I just speak facts regarding blind purchasing in general. Some people need a wake up call and should not be so fast to purchase something before knowing anything about it, or who is selling it. I look at it as a cautionary warning not an insult. We'll see how insulting it is if you get burnt later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..20..34..48..62..76..77~78~79 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL