The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette on Celebrity Apprentice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-03-19 12:14, Devious wrote:
Penn Gillette has read and followed
this discussion. Feel free to leave him your direct comments and well wishes.

Penn, I get the idea that Lou is not your biggest fan. Were you ever concerned that he might snap and try to Hulksmash you?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Marlin that was funny. The Hulk was probably just green with envy.

Well I stuck to my word and didn't watch the show last night although ,I'm aware of who was fired. I often wonder if some particpants are left with a bad taste in their mouths concerning what is said about them? Is it possible for people to leave as friends? I think working in that environment would cause a lot of people to do some soul searching as to how others view them which in some cases may not be a bad thing. Just my thoughts.

C
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Devious, Way to inject some interest into the thread but I don't believe Penn is really reading this .

Penn is lucky the Men won the task. It is a mean game where the smell of perceived weakness gets quick attention from the players and the film editors.

I can't help but think Penn is a big part of the reason they won. He was right, the first Idea about the Super Hero was trite. It may be un-popular to say so but not having a better idea doesn't mean the idea you have is a good one.

Penn can come off as condescending but I don't think he is. I think he is up for a conversation where people support their statements with reason. He doesn't fit in a world where all ideas are given equal weight because "Everyone has a right to their own opinion." is taken to mean all ideas have equal value.

Penn could be one of the most useful members because he listens to the requests of the "Client". His advice about the Car episode was dismissed and they lost to a really poor presentation by the Women. (Although the short times on these projects doesn't allow for good thought or presentation from anyone.)

Penn is now weakened and less useful to the team because if he does any critical thinking (which would help the team) it will be characterized as condescending and they'll get rid of him.

Other than the obvious ugly social values of this show I really dislike the rush to finish each project. Our world needs thoughtful considered action and this show celebrates the opposite.

The parts where people are expected to call in all their High Roller friends to send in cash is ridiculous. The way they expected Michael Andretti to just use his name (brand) to support the Car Company was a bit much. That could have ramifications on his future business. They should expect that people use their skills to support the team but not their personal Brand.

Frankly, some of the winning projects don't seem very strong. Sometimes I think the project that wins is the one that works best for the show in terms of team balance or some other criteria I'm not aware of.

Although I think Donald Trump is a jerk (to put it politely) I'm still watching. I'm not proud of it.

-Mary Mowder
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Miss Mary,
O ye' of little faith.
:clownjuggling:
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Too true.

I'm sorry Devious, I should not have impugned your honor. I just meant that I find it hard to believe and I thought you were putting us on.

What leads you to believe that Penn is reading this thread?

-Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know Penn couldn't take part in this discussion because of contractual difficulties.

Tell you what Penn, if you are reading this make a sound like Teller.

Two longs and a short, just so we know it's you.

-Mary Mowder
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Mary,
Are you being "Condescending"?
That is "The" word that Penn dislikes the most, in the english language. Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Nope, Mary was being humorous. I recognize condesending as I once taught pre-school and they are famous for speaking to adults as three year olds.

I was suprised George Takei was booted off, he came across as very refined and dignified from what I viewed to that point on the show. That man has a wicked sense of humor in real life. However, as we are not privy to anything but for that hour I wonder if the rest of the cast had experienced that side of him?

Lastly, out of the women I immediately liked Patricia Velasquez and picked her as another possible winner along with Penn. She comes across as very intelligent and passionate about her work. However, since I'm no longer going to watch the show I'll have to wait until the final outcome and see who wins when it's announced.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Chrystal, it was tongue in cheek. A reference from.the lastbepisode. Mary is a.cool lady
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Well, I thought the right team won this week as far as which party looked like more fun (and had better signage).

I noticed Dee did not mention directly that Clay asked him to raise the posters and Clay didn't either.

I was glad to see the problems for Penn eased a little.

I couldn't believe Clay brought back Paul Tuetul instead of Lou Ferrigno. Paul is such a strong builder and without Adam Carolla the team needs someone to build things. I'd hate to see inexperienced people thrust into using power tools under pressure.

-Mary Mowder
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
I really think the ladies were robbed on this one.
There must've been something else that wasn't shown perhaps.

I would call the men's effort less than inspiring.
The ladies captured all the points of the task and set it over
the top with the jingle and give away promotion.

Poor Patricia....that lady has more class in her little pinky
than the lot of the females in the group.

I do agree that having Paul on the team really has helped them
to fabricate the ideas that are required.

Penn's pretty handy with a hammer as well...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I thought the Men's party was much more fun and friendly.
Juggling with peaches, Conga lines with Celebrities, Limbo, Clay Aiken leading a sing along. These are fun at the time and could make for a great Story/Memory.

The melting popsicles? Lisa reading cards? Why would anyone want a copy of the Debbie Gibson Song? To play in their car? to add to a party mix? The last thing I want when I leave a party is a persistent EarWorm.

Patricia will be a loss. She is a capable and admirable lady. Go figure, Donald Trump skipped on firing Miss Universe. Dayana seems to be a nice person but not nearly as useful a team member as Patricia.

Aubrey is a smart and creative gal and a real shark. You'd have to really love money or be a real player to profess a crush on the Trump son. I hope she doesn't win but Joan Rivers won so... I'm not liking where this is apt to go.

Clay and Arsenio are still keeping the "Penn is condescending" smoldering but I'm glad that seems to be passing.

I was really surprised that Clay didn't say he'd bring Penn and Lou back this time. I don't take it at face value. I think Clay thought they'd won and didn't really tip his hand. Wheels within wheels, (bless his heart).

I didn't know Penn was handy with a hammer, You don't mean juggling a hammer do you Devious? I still think Penn can and may win based on my belief that Penn has a broader skill base and has not yet shown all he has to offer. Penn is not as overtly devious but we know Penn has some small talent in this arena.

Clay and Aubrey are more obviously dangerous.

-Mary Mowder
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I haven't watched the show but you guys got me interested enough to read the last 2 recaps on the website. Also, someone told me that Clay is a real mess although from reading the recaps, he seemed to come off as fairly capable. Is there anyone on the show you're really hoping to see go? I'm actually more of a Amazing Race and Survivor kind of guy.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Mary you make some very valid points....yes definitely no ear worms for this kid.
The melted ice pops are definitely a faux pas and not consistent with the rest of the presentation.
Dixie paper cups?

I agree Dayana although a dear, is certainly less resourceful of those present on the firing line.

Lisa is the most talented in the group butt(no pun intended),
also happens to be the most condescending in the show.

I'm rooting for Clay and Penn in the men's group. I'm not settled on the women's selection.
Penn has yet to tip his hand as of yet, for the most part, as to his tenacity.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Penn Jillette says,
"Folks Celebrity Apprentice is nothing more than an impromptu drama series.
I only agreed to do it for my charity and to help promote our show!"
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2444 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Wouldn't this be a GREAT way to pick the leader of a country? Just a thought. Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Nope.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 15:03, Kent Wong wrote:
Wouldn't this be a GREAT way to pick the leader of a country? Just a thought. Smile

We use "American Idol" format for that.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
Kent

Kent, would you really want Aubrey running our Great Nation?
Didn't you see her crying in the boardroom just after throwing herself on Trump Jr.?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 16:43, Devious wrote:
Quote:
Kent

Kent, would you really want Aubrey running our Great Nation?
Didn't you see her crying in the boardroom just after throwing herself on Trump Jr.?

No, but maybe Penn! That'd be pretty wild. He could run as the NO BS candidate!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Whilst you are waiting for next week's show,
Penn Speaks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I was glad the WalMart/Walgreens gaff didn't cause Penn to be fired.

I thought Aubrey had some good ideas but she was pushy and overbearing as usual. For such a visible person she is certainly transparent. I'd be glad if she left. Too bad Arcineo blew his cool (and hit the snag with the Check from Jay).

By the way, I loved the writing Penn did for Paul on the New York guide book. Seemed like there was some scoffing at Penn's ability to thumbnail Paul's attitude but he nailed it.

I actually thought the whole Blueman thing was in character and great (sadly informative) entertainment. I wonder if Clay thinks The Blueman group can just be told what to do and they'll do it. If I had an artistic and commercial concern that was as popular as their's, I'd want to make my own decisions about how to display myself. Penn should have been congratulated on getting them to come out and create awareness of The Guide Books. I'll bet it was good for some (sort of) free publicity for the Celebrity Apprentice show. I was glad Clay was called on his unsupported statement of how much money was lost (or given). You really can't count it till it's in the till, so to speak. Until then it seems like part of the performance art. Although it was not the intent of the Apprentice Show, I think it was wildly successful as a piece of Street Theatre.

Penn's position is solidified in the new team. Even Lou seemed to realize that he couldn't afford to get rid of Penn. I think Lou should have been the one to go from a team viability standpoint but Dee did throw in the actual ideas that offended the Walgreens team.

Good for Penn for coming up with the "You can walk and do something else" idea. Too bad Penn wasn't there to dissuade them from the "Yelling, scratching, etc.. input . One of his strong suits is listening to the needs (and intent) of the task clients. Oh well, they don't always listen to his concerns anyway.

Lisa's dislike of Dayana kept her from listening to Dayana's (for once) useful input on how unpleasant itching and scratching etc... were.

I'd say Lou, Dayana and Theresa are the least useful for the game.

Lisa is talented but unrelentingly unpleasant. Aubrey seems like a self-centered scythe. Clay is more subtle and works from behind the scenes in sotto voce comments to spread his perceptions without actual confrontation for the most part. I guess it is all a part of the game.

-Mary Mowder
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mary, I think your spot on with your take of the show so far!

Clarke
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I didn't mention Teller's contribution which was over powered by the Blueman thing but that was really nice. I mean, this was not even Penn's task (as the leader) and Teller still supported the team with a big contribution.

Mary Mowder
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
I agree whole heartedly with your comments Mary.
I'm also glad Dayana wore a one piece versus the thong onstage. Smile
TrickyEric
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TrickyEric
It was nice to see Teller in the latest episode. I hope to see more of him.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penn Jillette conducts himself not just on this show, but in life, as a person of class and dignity.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Devious
Here is the most recent show in the series.
Clique Here
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4663 Posts

Profile of gdw
Penn writes what is, IMHO, a beautiful piece on art, money, and the Blue Man Group performance on Celebrity Apprentice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/penn-jille......411.html

"I use Teller's broad definition of art -- "Whatever we do after the chores are done." There's one show business and Bach, Dylan, Ron Jeremy, and the guy at the mall in the Santa suit are all in it. By that definition The Celebrity Apprentice is art, and, for my sins, I am on it."

That doesn't quite sum up the article, nor is it what I took away from it, but in this moment I felt like quoting that part.
March 22, 2011, our beautiful baby girl, Evelyn, was born.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Man has evolved, "god" is extinct.

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5846 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
J am so happy that I am not the only one watching. I still have no idea who Aubry is but she is cute when quiet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette on Celebrity Apprentice (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.355540 seconds, requiring 88 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [8] [4] [1] [3] [3] [5] [1]