The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Martin Breese R.I.P. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2504 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Yes, very sad. RIP
Twitter: @GSBKY and Author of "Inspired"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4745 Posts

Profile of gdw
So many broken wands of late. Very sad.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4397 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Smile Very sad news indeed, Martin helped edit my first ever Magic release, he will be missed
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2692 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2012-02-23 09:35, gdw wrote:
So many broken wands of late. Very sad.

My thoughts exactly...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Sad news.
Deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
R.i.P.!
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
692 Posts

Profile of roblane
Sad news.R.I.P Martin.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
2906 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Very sad news. R.I.P. Martin
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1389 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
The following message has been sent to everyone on the mailing list of Martin Breese.

Tony Curtis

Dear Magicians,

You will be aware that Martin Breese has been ill for some time, and it is with great sorrow that I tell you he died peacefully and comfortably with his family around him early this morning. I am aware of various notices and tributes that are already appearing in the magical world so shall not attempt to match those. I know that he saw many of you as his personal friends, and was always delighted to hear from you and really appreciated the support that he received over the last year or so.

Martin’s Magic business interests pass to Chris Wasshuber (wasshuber@lybrary.com). For the time being at least I will continue to take orders via the web site or by email in the usual way and to deal with any queries you may have.

I pass on the words of his son James below:

John Hinchliffe

Martin Breese International

Email john@abracadabra.co.uk http://www.abracadabra.co.uk

James Breese writes:

I wanted to seize this opportunity to communicate with and thank Martin’s customers – as, I know, the magic community is a very special one – and was an extremely important part of our father’s life. I was, as so many have been I’m sure, inspired by this kind and talented man.

Martin started contributing to the advancement of Magic at a very young age – as you will notice from this inspiring photograph we have asked to be included…!!

I had the enormous privilege of being Martin’s son. I was able to list his achievements as he began to pass away and we knew he could hear. He contributed over 60 years of work towards Magic. He supported others at every opportunity. He published a long list of fiction and non-fiction titles and was even a well-respected authority on Modern First Edition books. He also contributed with many other creative endeavours of note.

I am proud, in a way, to say that, when realising that Martin had just a few days left, one of Doctor’s cried and so did many of the hospital nurses. When we thanked a nurse (many of whom had been caring for him for over a year), she said “No – I am grateful to him”. She went on to explain that he had recently written letters on her behalf regarding her accommodation issues, contacted solicitors and made phone calls.

In the last hours, Martin remained playful and cheeky! When attending to his mouth, he ‘bit’ one of the nurse’s fingers – she called him a cheeky monkey and he grinned the widest grin you could imagine. All this from a man who wasn’t able to speak or hardly breathe at this point. To my memory, the last word I heard him say, when his loving wife Pang asked how he was feeling was a simple and amazing… ‘good’.

No doubt Martin’s life will continue to inspire and amaze. Only yesterday did I hear from his former wife Jill (they remained close friends) that Martin survived a bomb blast in London during the Blitz of World War Two - to the point that the windows in his room blew out.

This brings me to the last point - he never, ever – not once complained – in his whole life, and certainly not during over a year of intense, near non-stop chemotherapy.

Our whole family is indebted to the amazing team at the Royal Sussex – it’s easy to say, but we cannot tell you how lucky he was to have this breath-taking care. One of the senior consultants, when breaking the news of Martin’s very grave outlook a few days ago – stated what a character Martin was. He then repeated his exact words in a deeply sincere and affectionate manner. He was indeed a character. What a magical life he had, and a life so well lived.

If you would like to offer your reflections on Martin’s life, in particular with reference to those to the world Magic community, we would love to hear these – maybe even if his work or products had a hand in inspiring you. We may even later ask permission to include a few of these in tribute to him. Please send these messages to John’s email address.

James Breese, Martin’s proud and loving son.
Nick Sand
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Nick Sand
If I remember correctly it was a while back I had the pleasure of testing a flouritine holdout he once sold. I think it was his. My memory is a bit bad.
Excellent craftsmenship. He obviously loved magic and quality. Awesome to see such a positive attitude even through all that. So rare a true gift.
The world we live in is even a greater illusion than magic.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4769 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm stunned by this. I just watched a video of him performing an effect I was recommending a friend, and now this sad news. I only know of Martin through the magic of his that I own and perform...and from that, I have an enormous respect and admiration for what he's given to our community.

His passing is sad. But what he's passed onto us will be remembered for a long time.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
tom crecelius
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tom crecelius
I am saddened by Martin's passing. I met him once in Columbus, Ohio at the Magifest I do believe. We chatted about the pottery lotas both he and I made and we discussed problems, solutions, and ideas for other lotas. Very polite and good mannered, rest in peace Martin, it was a pleasure to talk with you.
Tom
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Wow, this is tough news to hear. I have always admired Martins work. A true Gentleman of magic and clearly a fantastic dealer contributing to the lives of thousands of magicians over with his many great productions over the years.

Thank you, Tony for sharing the news. I offer my deepest condolences too his family and friends. I know there is many here on the Café that will feel this loss personally, and directly. Thoughts go out to you all too. :'(
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1600 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
RIP, Mr. Breese.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
R.I.P. Martin. Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
423 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Sad news indeed.

Condolances to his family and many friends.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1600 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
RIP, Mr. Breese.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
What a wonderful, caring man Martin was. The Magic World has lost a Giant -- a gentle man--and a gentleman.
He was always so enthusiastic about Magic & People
I only talked to him twice when he phoned me afte Val Andrew's death.
No doubt they will be together now--planning other magic books.
RIP Martin
My thoughts & prayers are with you James, your mother and all the others dear to you
Allen Tipton
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1389 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Nick Lewin has made a special tribute to Martin Breese which can be seen here.

http://remarkablemagic.com/2012/02/23/ma......est-men/

Tony Curtis
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4769 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Very touching tribute by Mr. Lewin. Thanks for sharing Tony.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Martin Breese R.I.P. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL