The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cards are fun but what next? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
I've been learning card material for many months now and although I really enjoy it I now realise it's not enough to keep people entertained for a full routine (well not at my level).

What should I consider next? My current library is really focused on card magic with a little coin work thrown in.

As far as I can tell my best options would be

1. Expand coin work.
2. Elastic bands
3. Sponge Balls
4. Ropes
5. Silks

The kind of effect I'm looking for is something I can carry with me.

Any references would be great.
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Loyal user
Manchester, UK
259 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
If you are looking to have a carry round effect, then more coin magic would be a big bonus to your repetoire. You have them in everyday life and if you forget then someone else should have them. Also then you will always be ready to go (as long as you don't need gimmicks).

You don't say what you have for coins but I guess that you have the basics down. Jay Sankey's coin magic video has tons of stuff to practice, some easy, some hard, and you would be hard pressed to not find something that you like.

At the end of the day, it does have to be what you want to do though. I am just assuming that all the options above are valid for you.

Personally, I went from cards to coins to rubberbands and now I am back to cards. I might eventually get round to doing some ropes for some variety.
Check out Infamous at MagicWorld.co.uk
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5388 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Billy,
Coins give you the greatest number of options, for something that you want to be able to carry around with you.
If you haven't done so already, get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic; a reasonably priced book that is an absolute MUST HAVE for any magician, not just coin workers.
You'll find about three lifetimes-full of material in that one book alone; if you learn everything in it, you'll be able to do anything from a one-coin vanish to a full platform show.
(Of course, if you learn everything in it, you'll also be about 230 years old!) Smile
If you decided to go the "coin route", my No-gimmick Scotch and Soda is one thing that I always carry with me (just three coins, no gimmicks) and if you (or anyone else) are interested, e-mail me privately and I'll e-mail back the routine, as it appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
314 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hi there.

Great question. I agree about coins, Greg Wilson has some great stuff on his On the Spot and off the cuff videos.

I always have rubber bands in my wallet, very versatile props. I use them for Borrowed ring on band, Crazy man's handcuffs, and band around wrist, (Also from Off the cuff).

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Invest in Tarbell #1 and go from there. If you study a volume at a time it is a very minimal investment of dollars too. Despite what some magicians say, it is still a valuable tool for learning magicians to study each lesson and learn each one as the course was intended. It will, if you study all the volumes, make you a very well rounded magician with a sound knowledge base to take you wherever you want to go within the world of magic. It is also a valuable tool you WILL go back and reference all the time and sometimes just for some inspiration of things you might have forgotten long ago. You won't be sorry.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
Thoughtreader

OK so there are 8 Tarbell books. Could you give me an idea of how they break down?

I probably wouldn't need anything on cards, so do the volumes separate neatly into topics?

Billy
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
731 Posts

Profile of leondo
[quote]On 2002-05-08 08:55, Despite what some magicians say, it is still a valuable tool for learning magicians....

Billy,
I only have one exception to the advice given to you by Paul... I don't know ANY magi who doesn't think that the Tarbell course is NOT a valuable tool.

Paul gave you a recommendtion that will carry you a lifetime in magic. I am a HUGE fan of Tarbell's material and find myself turning those pages again and again. Although the language may be somewhat dated, the miracles are not.

Don't even look back, invest in the Tarbell books available through almost any dealer or certainly available on line.

Ted (Leondo)
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Billy,
You will find the contents of all the Tarbell books at
http://magicref.tripod.combooks.htm.
It`s a great site with lots of information.

Best wishes
Risto

Ooops... The link didn`t work very well because of that extra dot. Smile
This link should take you there:

http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2933 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-05-08 03:23, Billy Andrew wrote:
What should I consider next?

As far as I can tell my best options would be

1. Expand coin work.
2. Elastic bands
3. Sponge Balls
4. Ropes
5. Silks

The kind of effect I'm looking for is something I can carry with me.

Of the five areas you mentioned, I recommend coins, rubberbands, spongeballs, or all three.

While it is possible to carry rope and silks with you, you'll find the first three have the most potential for a variety of routines.
- Philemon Vanderbeck

Elemental Entertainment

"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
Looking at the Tarbell course I'll be reading for the next few years!

I guess it beats watching T.V. Thanks for the tips I'll see if this months Magic budget will stretch to some of your suggestions.

If I wanted to pick up some Tarbell books second hand is there somewhere that you guys visit on-line?

Billy
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Something you don't have on your list and you might want to consider is IT. I have a ITR constantly hidden on me and it is never difficult to perform a trick almost spontaneously, even if it is just floating a dollar bill. There are so many things you can do with IT anymore some of them involve cards.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Sponge balls! Sponge balls!

These are (fairly) easy to do simple sleight of hand stuff with, and they're really cool! However, they CAN turn into sponge pancakes if you put 'em in your back pocket and sit down! Lol!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Athens, Georgia
1640 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Billy,
As someone returning to magic after about a decade, I am finding it useful to turn some of my energy toward effect and presentation developement.

By this I mean that I am starting to sit down and outline on paper every move to the effects I am now working on. I am pruning, adjusting, adding--basically customizing things to fit my personality and skill level.
I am also writing down the patter and presentation.

Part of this adaptation process for me is trying to discover as well as imagine many possible ways to accomplish the same effects. I am starting to get more of a feeling of depth this way.

I am also trying to routine small clusters of two to three somehow related effects.

This is a round about way of dealing with this thread's question: right now instead of expanding along the surface of topics (cards then coins then sponges), I am trying to also take deeper root (which is not to say you are not doing that too, or that studying by topic excludes these other things, just to whet your appetite for studying everything!)

I feel a little bit at a disadvantage being here and can't wait to get home to the States this summer and take a look at some of the books I have ordered, especially Fitze's book on presentation.

Peace.

alleycat

Smile
--Alan Wheeler
English Instructor and
Performing Magician
Athens, Georgia U.S.A.
Racial Harmony
Jesus vs. the Occult
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
I would say coin magic gives the most options but there is quite enough information from peter and I couldnt have said it better myself. But my next choice would be sponge balls. I think it is a good idea to buy a set of sponge balls and a video called 25 Tricks With Sponge Balls. I own this video and it is great for the beginner in working with sponge balls.

Hope my words were of help!
Lance R. Wilson
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
I agree with all of the above great suggestions - my personnal one is rubber bands though - you can do some realy neat stuff with them - and I'd recommend Dan Harlans 'magic with Rubber Bands vol 1' video to get you started !
magicalan
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magicalan
I would go with coins, you can use them anywhere and everyone has them.
-Alan
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1300 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
while all of the previously mentioned options are excellent, there is also merit in, buying some dealer tricks that are small enough to cary on you. I like to get multiple uses for a gimmick if I can... For example, with my pen-through-bill, I can do the obvious, pen through a dollar bill, but I also use it do a pen through a quarter, a penny to dime chop-suey, a mid-air card stab (the pen is mightier then the sword after all)... and having a pen through bill is a nice segueway to "Test the authenticity" of a bill before going into a bitten and restored bill routine, or a 100 dollar bill switch. (ok, so I really like the pen through bill in case you didn't notice!) ;-)
Planning a lecture tour in the Mid-Atlantic region... if you have a group that's interested, let me know.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1651 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Sponge balls! Everybody. from kids to adults, love sponge magic.
Michael J.
“Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.” --from Shakespeare’s ‘As You Like It’
syko159
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of syko159
I think card magic is some of the best. There are some really advanced...and I mean ADVANCED card tricks that can take weeks to learn and months to perfect. Work on those for the next level. The nice thing about cards and coins are that they are easy to carry around and not suspicious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cards are fun but what next? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.179875 seconds, requiring 70 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [5] [4] [4] [4] [5] [5]