The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Lateral Thinking On Houdini... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2138 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Here is a fun little lateral thinking puzzle, just for fun:

The great conjuror and escapologist Harry Houdini was an expert with locks and safes. He was once challenged by a safe manufacturer to open a locked safe. Before accepting the challenge, Houdini examined the safe carefully and saw that it was of a new design that he would almost certainly find impossible to unlock. Nevertheless, he accepted the challenge, and won it. How?
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1127 Posts

Profile of TomasB
I've heard that Houdini sometimes took advantage of that safes were created to not be possible to unlock from the outside, but it was possible to unlock from the inside. However, that solution does not work with the wording of that puzzle. I'm stumped in other words.

/Tomas
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2580 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'm thinking of something along the lines of the way Alexander the Great is said to have untied the Gordian Knot. After all, the challenge was simply to open the safe, not to unlock it.
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=101

Similar topic, with an answer. It seems like more of a riddle than an actual event.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1509 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I agree with TomasB. If the intended answer is that he had himself locked inside, the wording of the puzzle is poor.

Quote:
Houdini examined the safe carefully and saw that it was of a new design that he would almost certainly find impossible to unlock.

It seems to me that if you open a save from the inside you have indeed "unlocked" it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3507 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The wording did not say to open THAT particular locked safe. It just said "A locked safe", so he opened another one...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
maousus
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of maousus
Still confused a bit by the logic...so he's inside and won the bet?
geeta172
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of geeta172
He opened it....not by unlocking it...but by drilling a hole or something of that sort...?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Lateral Thinking On Houdini... (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.055006 seconds, requiring 30 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [8] [9] [1] [7] [9] [1] [0]