The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Device? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This is the first "consumer model" I have seen...

Here is a collection of T-Devices by a variety of designers:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......9&type=3
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Pop,

Did you ever think back in the day that your prop for this routine would be such a hit where so many folks are creating there own designs of it? Wonderful!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I built the first device in 1981, but the routine was first shown in public in 1984, and no, I didn't even think of selling it. I was working comedy clubs mostly at that time. I really enjoyed having fifteen minutes of something so different and funny, but with a strong effect.

It seemed too idiosyncratic to be popular. But we put it out finally in 1994 and sold out. We put it out later with Hocuc-Pocus in a limited run and sold out. But after that, I thought it would be better for people just to design and build their own. Much easier to fit a box into someone else's act that way.

But I am very happy to see all the amazing creativity that people have brought to the idea.
Chrishue
View Profile
New user
NYC
62 Posts

Profile of Chrishue
The Nintendo Wii controller TD looks awesome!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is a new video of the T-Device taken in May in Hollywood at "Diamond Lil's Gold Rush Follies":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_s-WCj7Uzs
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pop Haydn, excellent routine and presentation, as we all come to know you do so well!
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
WoooooooooW Pop, G R E A T ! ! !
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Pop, I've said it before--you are AMAZING! A joy to watch, both the magic and the showmanship.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Wonderful routine! Totally!!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, everyone. It is a really fun routine to perform...and it kills fifteen minutes!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Beautiful Pop. Just when I thought you couldn't get better...you get better.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Oh, at 63 I am still a "work in progress." Smile
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Insanely great on multiple levels. I like the way the routine builds.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks. I did the routine differently until 2005 when I started to do the Pop Haydn character. It has taken me about seven years to get it where I want it to be for Pop. I am pretty satisfied with it now.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pop Haydn, you are a Character, that is for sure! You are the best showman around.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Here are two Haydn Teleportation Devices I finished recently.

Nick
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
These are now my two new favorites or these devices. You keep getting better and better.
I'm sending you a PM. I have a question...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Torque75
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Torque75
Great routine - love the character you portray. I'll be buying the rights to this one.
mjanes
View Profile
New user
Gig Harbor, WA
66 Posts

Profile of mjanes
For what it is worth, I'll share a capsule summary of a note I sent to Pop some time ago after performing this entertaining masterpiece enough times to feel ready to really begin studying it deeply.
I encourage all who appreciate the high art and nuance of this routine to set aside time to view, one after the other, two videos: first, the original instructional video which Pop sends with the rights to this routine. It was filmed early in the life of the Teleportation Device. Ever young, Whit Haydn was not yet Pop Haydn. The routine was, and remains, charming and filled with foolery and fun. Next view one of the more recent videos of Pop performing this routine; in fact, view as many as you can: each is unique, with laughter, lines, hesitations, the raise of an eyebrow, a smirk, gesture and movement, mock seriousness, general playfulness...

Here is the point: by comparing performer/performance "back then" and today's renditions, you will see deeply into what makes this, or any, routine mature beyond good to great. To me, this was an invaluable exercise in paying attention to the hallmark traits and techniques of performing magic--- acting, and making the little details and simple elements become magnificent pieces of master performance, as much as we can, through attention, understanding, and then, of course, countless hours of hard but rewarding practice. Pay particular attention to how Pop fills in the spaces, uses his time, crafts the flow. Like Victor Borge, he does not merely play the notes or grind through the mechanics. He creates something marvelous, ticklish, and devilish --- scoundrel that he is --- that takes us, his audience, to a place of joy and mystery.

By comparing the early video with the contemporary, we begin to see what decades of experience, insight, and creativity add. This is, to me, highly instructive and really valuable.
Doing so is paying our dues, not in dollars but in hours.
It is inspiring.

It's how we earn our chops!
mjanes
View Profile
New user
Gig Harbor, WA
66 Posts

Profile of mjanes
Afterthought: it's also how we honor our forebears and all that they have passed on to us, and through us, for the benefit of our audiences.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Device? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL