The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » International Magicians Society (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
329 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I just read their web page and it sounds quite a good deal.
Has anyone any first hand knowledge of this organization?

Regards, Alan
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1560 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Is that the Tony Hassini organization?
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
<BR>Be Kind to Each Other
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yup, it is, although I'd really call it more of a video club than an organization. Although it does give out an annual award, so does that qualify it as an organization?
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
5033 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Andy is right it is more a venture to sell a series of videotapes and sell a test to become a Doctor of Magic. By their 100 plus tapes, take the test (I think you have to pass it!) and “POOF’ you’re a Doctor of Magic!

Perhaps it will evolve over the years and become more of an “association” than a video sales scheme. However it has shown no real movement in becoming a more active organization or even keeping in touch with its members on any regular basis.

The tapes are very basic. The production qualities are mediocre to poor. In some you can clearly hear the telephone ring in the background and some one answer it and have a fairly long conversation. In others you can hear traffic noises. This was not done in a studio and the editing (if any) is poor. One Billy McComb tape is a jumble. Scenes were cut and pasted and seemed illogical in their order.

In general the tapes do cover the bases of the effects being taught. They also cover a little bit of almost every branch of magic. There is a basic Pickpocket training tape and ventriloquism tape.

Further, one of the Billy McComb tapes has him teaching his Gypsy Thread. To my knowledge, this is the only place Billy explains his handling. Pat Page made a coin tape which is typical Page (good stuff that is!) and there is even an Ali Bongo tape.

If Hassini had put the energy and effort into the production qualities the tapes that say Mike Maxwell or Joe Stevens does, then this would have become a “Must Have” series. As it exists they are so-so.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
INDIA
4083 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
10 tapes for $99 and with a life membership to IMS- Not bad!

Smile Ustaad
INDIA - THE LAND OF MAGIC - WHERE REAL MAGIC HAPPENS.

MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12631 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Very basic stuff of interest only for the beginner. And, oh yes, a pin to wear on your shirt. And a lifetime membership to which you never hear from them again. On a scale of one to ten, how about a minus ten?

Of note, Hassini created all the effects for the Marvelous Magical Burger King back when Burger King was doing that promotion many moons ago. Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
INDIA
4083 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
You now get the complete IMS magic course series of 50 tapes converted and put on a DVD for $199 for members and $224 for non (new) members. Certainly not a bad bargain, works out to $4 per title. Offer ends on 31 Jan.

Ustaad
Smile

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
23987 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Interestingly enough, the International Magician's Society is the largest magical society in the world, going by membership numbers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
If you look through these DVDs you will definitely find enough good material to make the investment worthwhile. There is some definite garbage in it as saying it is the "best of the best" scares me, but I am happy with the purchase. Not like it was an overwhelming bargain because a lot of the material I feel is not workable, but enough in there to validate the purchase.

Park

Visit me at http://www.whodinimagic.com/.
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Park, my sentiments exactly.

-Jay
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2652 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-01-08 11:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
Interestingly enough, the International Magician's Society is the largest magical society in the world, going by membership numbers.

If the other societies offered something tangible of similar value to its members, perhaps their numbers would escalate in kind. Clearly the house magazine isn't enough.

But on the other hand, consider the quality of the I.M.S.'s "members."

In real magic societies, desirable members are the ones who attend meetings, share their expertise, contribute to the betterment of the club and community, take on responsibilities, participate in projects, and use their membership as a source of joy and friendship.

Those who just pay dues and are never heard from again are "paper members" -- nice to collect from, but not to be confused with the "real members" who are true contributors to the life and vitality of the society.

As President of the Chicago Assembly of the S.A.M., I'd take one "real member" over a hundred of the I.M.S.'s "paper members" any day of the week.

Any Chicago-area magi interested in attending a meeting of S.A.M. #3 are welcome to drop me a PM anytime.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
Read the M-U-M cover story or watch these TV news, Ghost Adventures, Supernatural Chicago, and TV montage clips now!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
23987 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's something to think about. Considering how many members the IMS has, most of them are already members of at least one other magical society.

I think Neil may have misinterpreted my post. It is not meant to glorify the IMS. Membership in the IMS means that you have bought a video. It's like being a member of the "International Society of Magicians' Assistants" when you get one of those paper wands magicians hand out, or the "Sneaky Pete Magic Club."

I would rather be a member of a tiny group of "real" magicians than a huge group of "paper" magicians any day of the week.

Just to set the record straight -- I am NOT a member of the IMS.

But if you get the question on a magic trivia game, you will need the right answer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Quote:
Of note, Hassini created all the effects for the Marvelous Magical Burger King back when Burger King was doing that promotion many moons ago. Smile

Hey, Daff!
Remind me to NEVER play magic trivia with you--especially if it's for money or beers!

Take care,

-Jay
P.S. Check your PMs!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12631 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, I don't drink beer, (nor any other kind of alcohol) but the money is attrsctive. So, any body else on this forum in for a nice game of magic trivia? What? No takers?

O.K. How about a nice friendly game of chess? Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
INDIA
4083 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2002-05-08 21:35, Andy Leviss wrote:
I'd really call it more of a video club than an organization.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less!

Ustaad
Smile

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
23987 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's kind of like the Diner's Club. I refused to join until I found out I did not have to go to all the meetings.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
I "joined" this several years ago and bought tapes for $10. I haven't heard from them since. I was disapointed in the tapes because they were so short (about 10 minutes each) and so basic (for beginners). Tom
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
The set called best of the best actually has some very good material, by of course the name brand magicians.... There are also some not so good routines by not so good magicians, but overall, the new set is good....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-01-14 16:56, oldguy wrote:
I "joined" this several years ago and bought tapes for $10. I haven't heard from them since. I was disapointed in the tapes because they were so short (about 10 minutes each) and so basic (for beginners). Tom

10 Minutes for an expert to teach a commercial pet routine is fine withe me. I have one with Dean Dill teaching the best matrix I've ever seen/used.

It depends what tapes you get ( now on DVD ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
I got in the I.M.S. a few years ago to buy tapes. Some were very good. This "Best of the Best" is not the regular series---The Dean Dill, Lou Lancaster, Johnny Thompson tapes were good---but not all the good ones are in the "best of" series.
There are also some Dreadfull ones ---that are really just a waste of tape.You can usually tell which ones to buy by reading the ads. This "doctorate" of magic is just pathetic--that and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee . Of course, the magic castle also has their awards that is pretty much whoever they like--so-------cheers!-----Jimeuax
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
75 cents for coffee? WHERE????????????

Smile
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I used my brain !!! I bought 3 of each tape and instead of my Doctor of Magic degree, I am President of Magic.

Worship me if you wish.

Jeff (or should I say President Jeff)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » International Magicians Society (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.184812 seconds, requiring 82 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [9] [7] [5] [1] [1] [0]