The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Salt Pour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Does anyone have any ideas on making a Salt Pour Gimmick? I have been using a t***b t*p but would like to use more salt.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In the early days of performing this a simple rubber ear syringe was used. Cut the nipple off, cut an X opposite it (to control the flow of salt). Fill with salt and cover the nipple hole with a bit of duct tape and Betty's your aunt!. I have used rubber balls, pill bottles (see Jeff Hobson's wonderful home-made gimmick and brilliant handling on his video). and even a cardboard tube over the years. Find a container you like and can comfortable hold hidden in your hand and go for it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
Levent sells a wonderful salt pour gimmick.

http://www.leventmagic.com/

-Leo
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I totally agree with Leo. Levent's is inexpensive, well designed, and the DVD gives you everything you need to perform this routine. It is probably the least expensive outside of homemade you can get.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Levent's is good. Jeff Hobson had a good routine in the Linking Ring a few years ago (as Harry mentioned).

But with the Levent, the ideas on the dvd are worth the price even if you don't use the gimmick. Harry is right on target about using a ball or ear syringe. Personally, I use a Presley Guitar gimmick as I like the wieght, size and feel of it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Richard points out a critical thing here (as did Harry in his first post) - size. You must use what is comfortable in your hands. One thing that just came to mind that I used to use: If you can find them these days, those old black film canisters with the gray lid works very well too.

I too have used many different containers over the years, but as far as the commercially available ones, I think Levent gives you the best bang for the buck. Not only does Levent teach you the 'ins and outs' of using the gimmick, but his techniques can be adapted to other gimmicks as well. He also teaches a very nice routine as a bonus, filled with lots of interesting ideas.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Very tempted to check out the Levent DVD and gimmick now after reading this thread.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Better than the black film canisters, there were some made that were flesh colored.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
You could also apply Levent's Palmoflage to the the black film canisters.

-Leo
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Randi: You should - it is awesome! http://www.leventmagic.com is his site, and it can be found under the "Magic Products for Sale" link.

Richard: I never new those existed! Was there a period of time where those were more common? On the other hand, if the audience never sees it, the color is no matter.

The Palmoflage is wonderful stuff and if you have never used it, you should try it! In a pinch, I have used my own mix of skin-tone acrylic paints on all sorts of props.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
How about Cellini's Salt pour gimmick on his vid "Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere"?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would say those film canisters were around in the late 1980's early 1990's. I was working newspaper then and I think it was used for high speed professional color film only. You still can get the cans with most 35 mm film but they are clear.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
R. Paul Wilson and Joe Porper created a "two-way" on/off salt pour device... great for a second load.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jerry Mentzer 1st introduced his version of on/off back in the 1970's or 1980's as I recall.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Salt Pour (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL