The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half which to buy (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
109 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
I'm a hobbiest looking to buy a decent hopping half coin set in the UK but I am not sure who to buy from. Difficult when you can't see the product.

Tango have got a good reputation £42
Mark Masons own brand seem to have a good mention £28
I've seen a Sasco set for £28 but forums seem to think the quality is poor
Other MAgic shops such as Merlins have similar but Don't mention of who makes them
If I bought Johnson form the US with duty tax and postage seems to be prohibitively expensive

Any suggestions? I'll be using them for the occasional close up with kids and adults do not looking for the highest quality pro version

And is Tango quality very similar to Johnson?

And if any one has a set for sale let me know!

Thanks in advance

Mark
HenrikHyldig
View Profile
New user
From the land of Denmark I bring you
71 Posts

Profile of HenrikHyldig
Hi Mark.
I have a great set from tango, and I'm real happy about the quality of the gaff. and ease of use. I have however made a few small modifications for my set, with a little teflon tape on all the expanded [s to make the gaff more silent.

so I will say go for the Tango and a little Teflon tape. and you have a great set.
-o- Henrik Hyldig -o-

()()
('.') < My magic bunny (Be careful! He bites)
(")(")
shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
109 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
Thanks Henrik. I was thinking Tango might be the way to go

Any other advice would be welcome
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Mark
mark mason has a very nice set also.
and in my opinon johnson set can't be beat
unless you have a custom galfer make it for you.
todd
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have never seen this by Mark Mason. It's not on his USA website. Where did you find this Todd?

Thank you.

Jim
shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
109 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
Link here to Mark Masons. I've emailed him and they are made by his own coin guy. At the price it's a good deal

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/bar-tricks/hopping......-72-.php
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Sounds like you found your answer!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Now that's really weird. They are only sold on Mark's UK site and not the US site, though the set does include a US half dollar. I would think that would be a good seller on the US site as well. Then again, what do I know?!

Thanks!

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I don't understand it either jim.
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
I have purchased many coins from tango and have no complaints. Although you can never go wrong with Johnson coins.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Second vote for Johnson. Worth the extra little money. If you can get to a shop tell them you are buying a set. Compare the ones they have and you will see a noticeable difference. That's what I did and ended up with Johnson. Good luck!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Johnson has a pretty good quality Hopping Half set. You could always go the more expensive route and acquire a Hopping Half set from one of the coin gaff guys, (Schoolcraft, Lassen, etc.). Personally, I've been disappointed with Tango and would recommend sticking with Johnson. I've never seen Mark Mason's (JB Magic) Hopping Half set. But I know that his "coin guy",(or at least one of them), is Bob Swadling. If Mark had someone else make them, I'd stick with Johnson. But if Mark's set was made by Swadling, then I'd buy it sight-unseen without fear. Bob's work is top-notch and worth whatever Mark is charging.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I agree 100% with your assessment of Bob Swadling's work. He creates outstanding Gaffed coins!
shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
109 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
I've ordered an expanded shell 2p from Bob. As he's in the States now it's taking a little time to arrive
shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
109 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
Bought the English currency hopping half set a 2p and a 10p yesterday from Merlins Magic Shop in Wakefield. Beautifully made by a local jewler. Even close up they pass for regular coins. Can't recommend them enough. Unfortunately I had to return my Tango Hopping Half (in half dollars and pennies) back to another dealer due to circulat scratches on the super expanded penny shell.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have a morgen dollar indian rupee
hopping half set coming next week
from roy kuepper.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Received my hopping half from kuepper today.
it is beautiful and perfectly made.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There are two different types of HH. One uses expanded- [, the other does not.
I think most would prefer the expanded; it can be used in many other effects.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-29 23:46, Bendy wrote:
Johnson has a pretty good quality Hopping Half set. You could always go the more expensive route and acquire a Hopping Half set from one of the coin gaff guys, (Schoolcraft, Lassen, etc.). Personally, I've been disappointed with Tango and would recommend sticking with Johnson. I've never seen Mark Mason's (JB Magic) Hopping Half set. But I know that his "coin guy",(or at least one of them), is Bob Swadling. If Mark had someone else make them, I'd stick with Johnson. But if Mark's set was made by Swadling, then I'd buy it sight-unseen without fear. Bob's work is top-notch and worth whatever Mark is charging.

That is almost exactly word for word what I was thinking when I was reading this thread! I concur Bendy. I personally wouldn't go down the Tango route simply because I found him very blunt and rude when I asked for some advice about some gaffs I bought from him (not cheap either, genuine silver Morgan fakes.)

I wish I hadn't sold my old Johnson hopping half and I would buy from Bob Swadling in a heartbeat.

Also, for the price Mark Mason one is very good value. I believe (though you may want to check with Mark and ask if Bob makes them) that the £2 is expanded but the 2p is not. So you'd have an expanded £2 to do shadow coins, coins acress etc to.

Bri
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
If you want this for the HH routine you might want to check out Curtis Kam's HH routine that uses a completely different gaff. I think he teaches this in Dangeous Notations.
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half which to buy (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL