The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Animate & Restore" by Jesse Feinberg and Paul Harris Presents (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 01:53, Zombie Magic wrote:
I'm fascinated by this and keep reading and watching.

1) You open the envelope and pour out four torn card pieces onto your normal deck.

That means the deck isn't gaffed, so you can use it before and after.

Also, the card is given out, looking like the pieces are joined. OK, so there is a switch. But the card is blue and the deck is red.

People sometimes grasp for straws ro explain stuff. Who cares? That's what they do with the things like magic and other unexplainable things in life.

I'm in!

The effect to the audience is that the deck is normal but clearly in the demo it is not. Someone already pointed that out earlier in the thread. This shouldn't be an issue at all since the gimmick is simply rung in and out in a very deceptive way so you start with a normal deck and end with a normal deck. I still think there would be some heat on that envelope by virtue of the necessity to cover the card at the last second to complete the restoration. Of course the guy in the demo was completely fooled.

One question I have is that the card with the blue back looks like it is completely indifferent and not chosen by the spectator in the demo. Is that true or is it just a reveal of previously chosen card from the red deck?
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I just place my order! Thanks Paul!
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On 2012-03-29 16:00, Justin N. Miller wrote:
(this is NOT directed to any one person..just an observation)
It is such a shame to see magicians getting jaded and influenced by their own mind. The most dangerous place a magician can be is to think like a magician, and forget about what the audience experiences. Please do the art a favor before you kill it. go back to the first time you saw your first magical experience, not necessarily a magic effect. It could of been a sunset, the stars above, your first kiss, try to remember when you experienced something beyond you, that could not be explained but only FELT!

Magic is for them not us! Having an object that is broken and visually restores it self without any attributes of our physical world helping it along, is beyond explanation for them. It truly is a moment of astonishment, that they can examine and even KEEP if they want.
Please save our art and become what you first loved about that moment of astonishment you FELT..for the first time.
JM

Jaded and "influenced by their own mind" (I'm not sure what that means)? Here's another possibility. Wiser, after having been burned by misleading marketing or products that didn't live up to their sell. I'm not sure it's shameful, as you have characterized some of the behavior that preceded yours.

You say these same people are going to kill the art. These people that talk about possibilities and shortcomings; the excitement and sometimes, the letdown.

I can remember so many magical experiences, in and out of our course of study, but when it comes to spending money, and making business decisions about what to include in my act, I appreciate both sides of the discussion. I don't think any of those people, including you, are killing the art.

And finally, magic is for us, too. Not, as you said, 'for them'. Your impassioned plea to 'save our art' by remembering our first moment of astonishment hints that some may have forgotten. I doubt it. For any of us. I'll give you an example: I remember the first magic show I saw live. It was in the living room of a Magic Castle member's home in 1965. Some of the tricks blew me away. I experienced that moment of astonishment and still remember which tricks gave it to me. I also remember a couple tricks that didn't move me at all (though others in my family loved them).

In part, these boards are for discussing which tricks move us, and which don't. And the discussions are carried out by those feeling either side of that coin. (As magicians, we also like to discuss methods and presentations).
I read nothing in the previous posts that called for your shame or your fear that they're killing the art.
Carnac
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Carnac
Seven up: The card is not chosen. (which is OK by me) It comes out of the envelope with the note. It is dumped on top of the deck you were using and the restoration takes place there. I am happy to read in the description that this can be done with other types of cards as well. I would love to and plan on doing this with tarot cards. It will help to take it out of the realm of "another card trick" and into a spookier type of effect.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 00:39, magicology wrote:
Would a spectator think magnets? Not that I've seen. If they did they would be wrong Smile

It's such a good effect that people forget to breath.

Animation + Restoration = Blissful Astonishment

I agree. I thought magnets because it has to be magnets, surely? But there are still some aspects of it that baffle me. (And I like that, I prefer to be fooled by conjuring.)

And at my first viewing of the clip, I wasn't thinking magnets. I was thinking "Wow! - that looks like magic!".

Sure - some clever people will, retrospectively, deduce that magnets were involved. But at the time of seeing the effect, I think that (nearly) everybody will be blown away by it.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
Not sure what the exact patter is but you might be able to do a force of a card in a previous trick and have that end up being the blue puzzle card that ends up restored at the end. Just a thought.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
If you just poured the pieces out and made them move and put the deck away, they'd still be shocked.

As with anything, some will love it, some will hate it. I LOVE Fisher's PANIC. It is one of the best illusions/one of the best tricks ever released. BUT, a friend told me it's weak because the cards aren't signed. And he told me this after people were in awe of it.

We all have different tastes/criteria.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 13:39, Zombie Magic wrote:
If you just poured the pieces out and made them move and put the deck away, they'd still be shocked.

As with anything, some will love it, some will hate it. I LOVE Fisher's PANIC. It is one of the best illusions/one of the best tricks ever released. BUT, a friend told me it's weak because the cards aren't signed. And he told me this after people were in awe of it.

We all have different tastes/criteria.

You hit the nail on the head...however I would not say its because we all have different tastes/criteria. I truly believe it is because some of us have a better vision on what REAL magic should look like! A blind man will not see the world the same as a person who can see, and vice versa. Taste is in the observers experience, but there first needs to be a fork or spoon or cup to introduce that context to even get to a place where taste can be judged. If the delivery system does not work properly then one cannot experience anything. (those who understand this will gain better vision). Also, lol lol your friends comment about the kings not-being able to be signed is the dumbest most ridiculous statement I have heard today! Not one person will ever say..." yea that's great and all but can I sign each king individually first" before the effect is being performed. Wow, sad sad. Hopefully your friend can mind a mentor who can help him, guide him, into what REAL magic should look like. Only a magicians mind would think that way.
JM
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
.... Also, lol lol your friends comment about the kings not-being able to be signed is the dumbest most ridiculous statement I have heard today! Not one person will ever say..." yea that's great and all but can I sign each king individually first" before the effect is being performed. Wow, sad sad. Hopefully your friend can mind a mentor who can help him, guide him, into what REAL magic should look like. Only a magicians mind would think that way.
JM

lol. Agreed. I was shocked when he said it. But, he's a gifted card guy and has his own view on things. He teaches classes, so he actually does mentoring.

AND....HE LOVES your material. He knew your material before the rest of us even heard of you.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Any reviews? Does anyone on here have this yet?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 17:56, sohaib wrote:
Any reviews? Does anyone on here have this yet?

I doubt anyone has it yet. I'm waiting for Penguin to list it.
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
Really sorry if this offends anyone but as a bit of an old school magician I feel I need to say something! I'm getting really bored of seeing fellow magicians parting with money for what they think are perfect illusions. I thought this trick looked great when I saw the demo vid, however, have any of you seen this performed from start to finish? Have you seen the whole routine from start to finish? Have you seen the card selected, then torn, then restored magically ready to hand out! Sorry if I'm ****ing on anyone's picnic but I'm getting tired of seeing eager magicians parting with money for a preorder that turns out to be a complete letdown that ends up in a dusty drawer! I'd refer anyone to Guy Hollingworths "Drawing Room Deceptions" or Yves Domeurges Torn and Restored! Both are totally amazing and worthy of the time dedicated to learning the slights. Why would you want to tip a random card out of an envelope to restore itself? It makes no sense?
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 18:33, Freedomboy wrote:

Why would you want to tip a random card out of an envelope to restore itself? It makes no sense?

Thinking like a Magi yes it makes no sense but as a Laymen being told a story of a mysterious Rare puzzle you've recieved in the post and so on ..I'd be very surprised if someone was to think .."but hang on that don't make sense "
I personally have always got great reactions from animated effects.

I love the idea ,my orders in:)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Freedomboy, tipping pieces out of an envelope and restoring it wouldn't be very interesting. Tipping the pieces of a blue card out of an envelope, onto a red deck that you've used ( and they've handled prior ) and the pieces slowing move and restore on their own is pretty freaky ( like the Haunted pack ).

You said "I thought this trick looked great when I saw the demo vid". That what a spectator will think.

Magi only need the Tarbell Course. That's it. But, magic is a hobby and people spend money on their hobby.

IF this is as good as the demo, then I don't care if Guy Hollingworth performed his T&R prior to you doing this effect, they'd never remember Guy was there.

Bob Sheets himself says he doesn't care who the magician is and what they perform, If you do the bunnies, that's what they'll remember and care about.

I don't have Animate & Restore, but those pieces moving into place looks amazing and laypeople will think so also. Now if it doesn't do that when getting it, that's a different story.
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Any news on a release date ?
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Looking like it will arrive at Murphy's on Monday.

joy!

Janet
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Magicians as a rule are way too preoccupied with having stuff signed. The only time it really matters is when the trick depends on it.

This effect looks really fun. I don't know how I feel about dumping the pieces onto a deck I've been using. I wish I could dump them out and put them on something else. Maybe another object that came out of the envelope. Just thinking aloud. Who knows. I don't have the thing so I really can't comment. I think this would play really well, though.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
If you could dump out the pieces, but they were torn in 100 pieces and slowly formed a word they are thinking of, then lift off the pieces and hand it to them to wear as a necklace, then I would get it.

But pieces becoming animated and moving on their own and reassembling into a card...is so yesterday.
:rotf:
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
This is why after years and years of actually PERFORMING in front of real people I didn't sign up to these forums! You actually are a complete bunch of idiots! I offer a little advice and it gets shot down because you all know better with the amazing products that get shoved under your nose! Keep parting with your money whilst being eternally disappointed at the fact that you may have to put some hard work into a very beautiful craft that makes people happy!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You may take my generalisations, but you will never take my freedom(boy).

:huh:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Animate & Restore" by Jesse Feinberg and Paul Harris Presents (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL