The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Bending Key - Ellusionist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Unbending key? Wow that's neat. The only thing with these, including Shift, is the keys all look like thin, shiny, lightweight cabinet keys.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
52 MAGIC (the company selling the keys referred to by Ustaad) like KING MAGIC, sells 90% rip off products.

It's best to avoid these companies for many reasons
noobmagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of noobmagician
I really like this but I have a question. My keys are usually in one of my jeans pocket (back pocket). Would the heat from sitting on the keys activate the key?
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 09:26, Tim Ellis wrote:
52 MAGIC (the company selling the keys referred to by Ustaad) like KING MAGIC, sells 90% rip off products.

It's best to avoid these companies for many reasons

I can't believe that company. They're even selling pirated copies of DVD's like Extreme Burn!!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 11:56, noobmagician wrote:
I really like this but I have a question. My keys are usually in one of my jeans pocket (back pocket). Would the heat from sitting on the keys activate the key?

Yes.

Mike
magicingeorgia
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magicingeorgia
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 18:54, itsmagic wrote:
The key just arrived today! Been sitting in mailbox heat all day, so key is already bent. From initial glance, the key looks like a normal key, but when you hold it, that's where the illusion disappears. First of all, it's too smooth and shiny (chrome color). Secondly the key is THIN! Doesn't feel like a regular house key...disappointed. Will check out video and play with it more before giving you all a review. Thanks.

I thought the same thing, when I got mine. As far as the idea of keeping it on a key chain until ready to perform..... I think not, maybe it's because I'm in Georgia but my "room temp" puts a bend in the key....Disappointed!
magicingeorgia
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magicingeorgia
Bob44leo.... I'm going to try that and see if it works.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have this Key & it works great for me ! You could always carry a small ice pack they are mini like the size of a pack of cigs . This will keep it straight I also found the spray to work best for me the prep only 10 seconds .
Jeffrey
tomacker
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of tomacker
I have received my key a couple of days ago. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Gimmick: the key has a lot of detail. I like that. Engraved, machined, etc makes it authentic. Actually I've seen similar keys to this one in many shops. I have left my key on the dinner table before going to sleep, by the morning was still flat. 10/10

Instructions: a lot of ideas in both manual and video, but at the end, we will all use it in the same way: a key that bends on the spectator hand. I don't think it can get more strong and clean than this. 8/10

Audience feedback: Ive performed it around 5 times and I had a great response from people. It's super clean. Not a single suspicious comment about it. 10/10

Cons: You have to cool it down. Hope one day they find way to do the setup without cold. But I guess, that would be Real magic! 8/10

Overall, along with Micro Psychic I think this has been one of my best purchases this year. Highly recommended.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
True the Key is very nice I perform this effect by using the silver gimmick key & a normal brass key . I then force the gimmick key (Silver) then begin to rub the key to cause the bend . This routine works better for me & quicker for the bend . If you put the key in the specs hand I find it longer for the key to bend . Anyone else have this problem ?
Thanks,
Jeff
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
You rea;;y don't need to carry an Ice pack . I left the key in the straight position for 8 hours came home after work & the key was still perfectly straight . I did the rub & the Key bent it works ! Best to use the spray you will have the key straight in seconds .
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
I'm curious, how are you guys presenting this when you perform it? What reactions are you receiving?
Italia16
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Italia16
I'm also inerested in reactions. I generally try to stay away from things like this but if it gets good reactions, I might have to reconsider.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Glad to hear it's working for some folks out there! I REALLY wanted to like mine, but either I got a defective one, or this wasn't just for me.

WHAT YOU GET: A nice black cardboard box, inside are an instruction booklet, a business card with a QR Code, a black drawstring pouch, and the Shift Key.

INSTRUCTIONS: Instructions came in a TINY little booklet. The words are difficult to read as are the pictures to make out. I have good vision, but at times, I felt I needed a magnifying glass. You can also view a video instruction, which you access by scanning the QR Code on the enclosed business card. Yes, you will need a QR Code scanner - most are free in the Apple app store if you have an iPhone or Android smart phone. However, the video link takes you to the Shift FORK video. There's a sentence or two informing customers that this video also applies to Shift Key, but the video mentions nothing about Shift Key. You get general handling tips on working with this Shift metal technology. It would've been nice, though, for Ellusionist to make a short video on the key. Not sure why they decided not too.

THE KEY: I didn't like this key at all even though others don't seem to have a problem with it. The key is very thin, not comparable to a regular house key and the metal is similar to that of a cabinet key, but shaped like a house key. Visually from a distance it looks like a house key, but once you hold it, the visual illusion is destroyed because the key is so light! To the touch, it feels smooth and light. I think had Ellusionist designed this key to look like a cabinet or drawer key, that would've been a lot more convincing to me.

ISSUES: It sounds like some magicians have not had any issues with their key, but I ran into some problems that made this Shift Key unworkable and unusable for me. It was difficult or nearly impossible to keep the key straight throughout the day, a cool temperature is maintained around the key. I used the cold water bottle technique, then the ice water method, then the nitrogen spray method to straighten the key. Here's what I discovered:

1. Cold water bottle - poured refrigerated water into a metal bowl, left key in cold water for a minute. The key did not straighten completely. There is a slight curvature to the key. Tried this method three times and got the same result each time.
2. Ice in water method - poured ice cubes into a bowl along with some water, the key straightened out beautifully - BUT within a minute the key started to curve.
3. Ice in water (prolonged exposure) - left the key in ice water for 5 hrs. The key straightened and remained straightened over night. Things were looking hopeful, but once I got in the car and drove 1 hour to work, the key became fully bent.
4. Sprayed the key with liquid nitrogen - this method was the easiest and quickest to reset the key, but I encountered the same problem - the key would NOT remain straight - unless it was continuously subjected to a cool environment. Within minutes of being in a typical Southern California day, the key started bending. There's NO WAY this is gonna work as a walk around item. I can imagine having this on your keychain in your pocket and by the time you pull it out of your pocket to show them an amazing trick with your "regular" key, they see a thin, shiny, bent key dangling among your other keys!

CONCLUSION: Unless I received a defective item, this Shift Key promised something unique, visual and powerful, but delivered an unrealistic looking key with an unpractical and unworkable technology. Too bad, really - I really wanted it to work and I really wanted to like it.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
It sounds to me like the climate may be just too warm in California. This is a tricky one because the key needs to bend when held in the hand. I understand it is set to bend at 25 degrees.

If kept indoors (away from the body) with a comfortable room temperature of around 21 degrees it should hold its shape indefinitely (mine does).

Mike
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I never put the key in the hand it takes to long I just rub the shaft of the key & in time it bends ! this works best for me
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 01:35, tophatter wrote:
I never put the key in the hand it takes to long I just rub the shaft of the key & in time it bends ! this works best for me

I've been telling spectators to put it behind their back and hide it in one of their two hands. Then I tell them I'll guess which hand it is in. Using techniques from Premonition, Im able to guess correctly more than 50% of the time. They quickly forget that I was wrong as soon as soon as they see the bent key. The best reaction I got was from a locksmith in Mexico.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
As somebody who has tried many different metal bending products in the past ... I can tell you that shift is TOP Notch.

To me ... looks like a real house key.

From my electronics store I purchased a can of MG Chemicals Super Cold 134 ... a few drops sprayed on the key freezes the key. 1 second later it is straight as can be. This is what I used on my prior metal bending keys and forks.

It is $10 a can and should last you for years.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG-C......PLIzDo3K
(This is the 10 oz spray can .. they also have a larger spray can)

Here is a link-search on ebay for this stuff:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&......uper+134

You don't have to tip the can over. Dentists go to the electronics store and buy it by the case ... this stuff freezes the nerve in teeth. Handle with care !!!

These small 4" x 5" cold blue packages will maintain a temp. in the bag for days:
http://www.ntiglobal.com/packaging-cool-blue.cfm

Here is a direct link to the cold blue bags:
http://www.coolblueinsulation.com/pages/foilmailers.html
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Apparently Ellusionist are brining out a new key, might look better!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Self Bending Key - Ellusionist (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL