The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » George Ledo's Boxes, Cases, and Crates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The range of magic performance is very broad. Encompassing everything from close-up performers to birthday party magicians, to illusionists, it is seldom that something comes along that would be of use or even interest to virtually all of these performers.

With perhaps a hint of a pun intended, such is the case with George Ledo’s new book, “Boxes, Cases, and Crates – or: Getting your stuff from here to there and back in one piece.” Here is something for the magic community at large, with truly, “something for everyone.”

The book begins with George giving a brief history of his progress in magic, regarding his problem and solution progress with the various transportation and protection boxes and cases which he built and used for some of his magic props. Having gone through a very similar progress during my own life in magic, as surely have many others, a lot of familiar bells began ringing. First, came a box made to protect a specific prop, and later coming the realization that a larger case could be made that protected many props, rather than a different case for each prop.

From here, George begins the instructional portion of his information, explaining how a basic crate is designed and built. Considerations are given for types of wood, types of hardware, dividers, ornamentation, labeling, and many other details that come only from someone who has “been there, done that.”

It should be noted here that George walks the walk and talks the talk. His experience and career has been built around these very things, so he knows what he is talking about. One of the nice things I noticed is that he puts these concepts of transport boxes within the reach of the average guy. While it is perhaps desirable to own and use the expensive ATA cases, George explains why these are not always necessary and how simpler, cheaper and easier to obtain boxes and cases can be practical and more than sufficient for the typical magician.

I’d like to make a side note and say to George that for a long time, I felt somewhat sub-standard with some of the cases that I knocked together, just for the sake of protecting and transporting my stuff. Most of these I had made for myself, and never once have I owned an ATA case. Having now read his book, I feel pretty OK about those cases I have used. In fact, I once helped load the show of a well-known illusionist, whose crates were all made from 2x4’s, plywood, and probably whatever hardware he found laying around. It never would have flown, but it traveled quite nicely on his truck!

Ok, from here, George goes on to explain some various cases for very specific uses, and also how to coordinate the use of many cases, including how to properly load a truck.

Now, to get you started, George takes you through a simple design process, showing you how a basic box design can be modified to suit your own specific needs. Then, he includes a section of resources for obtaining further information, and the materials needed to begin building your own boxes, cases, and crates.

The book is well-written, informative, and very nicely illustrated with beautiful CAD drawings (which is what George does for a living, in theatrical design).

Highly recommended. The book is available from Leaping Lizards Magic.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » George Ledo's Boxes, Cases, and Crates (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL