The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen/Schollcraft? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
I've emailed Todd about a week ago requesting details about gimmicks used in a video on his blog, with the aim of buying them, possibly two Triple Threats, and have yet to hear anything back still, being from UK phone calls are a bit out of the question! be nice to get a mail back as I was/am very interested!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I think that Todd Lassen probably makes as much as he possibly can and wants, based purely on his reputation. Yes, he could get greedy, hire some clerical types to handle orders and train a few apprentices... But like I said, he most likely makes all that he wants and prefers to make each single gaffed coin himself. He's an artist and to be honest he seems to get a heck of a lot of coin sets made all be himself. He has no need to change the way he does business, so I doubt that he will. Yes, there are other very good custom coin makers out there but I believe that Todd still has the reputation that keeps him perpetually busy running his business just the way it is now.

I'm a rank amateur and I really can't afford the kind of custom sets that you all are discussing. But if I could - and I really hope to be able to someday - I will order from Todd Lassen. If I'm going to spend that kind of cash, I am going to make sure I get the very best.

Thanks!

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, even with the best stuff you might still be a rank amateur, actually most people are I would think. Smile It's not really the coins but that's another story. Smile Anyway, it's good to know that if you don't get to that point to afford "the very best" as you say, that you will still have other great craftsman to choose from and still be more than good enough. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 10:11, Mb217 wrote:
Well, even with the best stuff you might still be a rank amateur, actually most people are I would think. Smile It's not really the coins but that's another story. Smile Anyway, it's good to know that if you don't get to that point to afford "the very best" as you say, that you will still have other great craftsman to choose from and still be more than good enough. Smile

Never, ever said that any gaff would make me anything more than what I am! ("I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam..." Remember him?!) However if I somehow had the discretionary funds sitting in my pocket just burning holes and screaming to come out - and I happened to browse by Todd's site and saw one of those things of beauty beckoning to me like Sirens - I might just buy a set to savor and drool over. Smile I doubt that I could do them much justice with these dry and very beaten hands but I would love them just the same.

Can you say that you own no magic apparatus that isn't necessary for your magic but you wanted it - well - just because you wanted it? You have never indulged yourself just a little? C'mon, Marion! Not even any boxing memorabilia that you just like to look at and admire? I'll go on record that if you say no to everything then I don’t believe you, big guy!

:nana:

:bg:

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don't have any problem with "rank amateurs" heck, I resemble that remark myself. Smile Just pointing out an aside as to the dynamics of what's best and what's what in the larger perspective. And I do understand collecting things for collecting-sake, nothing wrong with that and surely these craftsman make the little trinkets crazy coin guys like us like to have whether we can afford it or not. And I do have some nice sets, as I've mentioned before around this place but I'm sure I'd still be considered a hoofer rather than a dancer by most of these collectors. Smile You could collect from the level where you're at, that's a thought as there's some real good stuff around there as well I hear. Smile

Got some boxing momentos for sure but nothing I ever had to shell out big time for or perhaps would've if I could've. Smile Best thing I ever got from boxing was something I could'nt show you if I wanted to, it was a big bear hug from Ali for teaching him a trick he always wanted to learn, but I digress (but just for you). Smile

But I understand your point my friend and nothing wrong with getting it if you got it to get it with. Heck, that's what it's for. Smile Hey and if you can't get it, then dreaming of it is the next best thing. Though I would prefer a set of them Sirens over a trick set of Morgans any day. Smile

And don't worry, you'll be "drooling" soon enough my friend Smile...As in I'm sure that big set you want is on its way down to you from on high. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There are certainly cases where it is the coins. I have one effect in a standard half and English Penny. I also have this is a silver dollar and copper crown. The effect is the same, but the beauty of the coins most definitely adds to the spectators interest and enchantment.

The effect is the same, but the apparatus adds another layer. This can be said of all kinds of magic.

This is the same kind of discussion that has been seen here at the Café re: Sherwood Sterling Silver cups vs. less expensive cups.

Interesting discussions, and of course, no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Smile

On a completely different note, re: any craftsman who works alone, I wonder if some of the issue might - in the back of their minds - revolve somewhat around how much work they can handle without getting overloaded. I suppose this would more likely be more an issue of advertising their work than customer service...though if customer service gets better, so will (ideally) be numbers of orders. Just an idle thought.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 13:05, Chessmann wrote:

Interesting discussions, and of course, no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Smile

Yep, I agree. Smile

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
What's the deal with the "e" at the end of the word "Café" showing as a diamond with a question mark inside?

And for the apostrophe in the last sentence of J-Mac' post?

Is that just a Firefox thing? Have to test that out.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 13:35, Chessmann wrote:
What's the deal with the "e" at the end of the word "Café" showing as a diamond with a question mark inside?

Doesn't show up that way on my IPad, Chess.

Marion, seriously? Ali? What trick did you teach him?

Just goes to show how much more memories are worth than "things".

Alan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 13:35, Chessmann wrote:

Huh? Are drinking something good there Chess? Smile

I don't see any of that. Sounds like a Unicode vs. Microsoft character set issue. When your browser doesn't recognize a character on a web page it replaces it with that symbol you see. Smile

Jim
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It was there for a little while on Firefox. Went to IE, and it wasn't there. Re-opened Firefox and all was well. Odd, but kind of funny, too.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 14:28, BanzaiMagic wrote:

Yeah, Banzai, seriously! Marion has a history in boxing. Incredible! I only spoke to Ali once on the phone when I was the executive producer for Smitty's Ringside seat (now a Showtime program). I cannot imagine being able to teach him a magic trick! AND getting a bear hug??? WOW! Smile

Doug
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Okay, I rang in a bit before, but very few people have the opportunity to do a real side by side comparison. Here is the thing that convinced me to stick with Lassen. Left=schoolcraft, right=lassen.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/img0500mh.jpg/

3 pics there. These are open flippers, showing the remilled edges/thicknesses.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2012-04-19 19:38, cablerock wrote:
Okay, I rang in a bit before, but very few people have the opportunity to do a real side by side comparison. Here is the thing that convinced me to stick with Lassen. Left=schoolcraft, right=lassen.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/img0500mh.jpg/

3 pics there. These are open flippers, showing the remilled edges/thicknesses.

I concur...I have had both schoolcraft and Lassen...Lassen is by far better in terms of quality...I will send my money to Lassen...
lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
That's a great pic, I'd love to see a comparison of the TTT and 3CM next to each other, from what I've heard the 3CM looks more like one coin when nested?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea but you can't have it both ways! Then it looks way to thin when it's unnested ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
877 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
This is true David.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Quote:
On 2012-04-20 07:03, lukecloughmagic wrote:
That's a great pic, I'd love to see a comparison of the TTT and 3CM next to each other, from what I've heard the 3CM looks more like one coin when nested?

I only have a couple gaffs. I do have a 3t, but not a 3cm. The 3t is not particularly thin once nested, but the trade off is that each of the coins is very deceptive on its own, and the in***t is thick enough/good enough milling that I could easily get it mixed with other coins.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-04-19 17:38, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-17 14:28, BanzaiMagic wrote:

Yeah, Banzai, seriously! Marion has a history in boxing. Incredible! I only spoke to Ali once on the phone when I was the executive producer for Smitty's Ringside seat (now a Showtime program). I cannot imagine being able to teach him a magic trick! AND getting a bear hug??? WOW! Smile

Doug

A history in boxing?!? An understatement! I've been trying to get him to give me HIS autograph!

Here's a comment a bout one of his TV shows:
Quote:
Marion Boykin, one of the world's most knowledgeable and passionate boxing experts, was the Creator, Host, Producer of the now legendary, "Boykin on Boxing" cable TV show. Boykin, a Harlem native and a pillar of the community, is a long time Time Warner Cable TV executive and heads a nationally ranked Little League baseball team in North Jersey.

Take a peek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDz-exjMFz4

:bg:

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Thanks, Jim.

I still want to know what trick Marion taught Ali.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Lassen/Schollcraft? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL