We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spots by Michael Ross, produced and directed by Bill Abbott (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2192 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Spots by Michael Ross, produced and directed by Bill Abbott

(Official description is at http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-store/SPOTS.html )

As usual, Mr. Abbott delivers a quality package, both in terms of the prop and the instruction. Michael Ross' handling of the spot card effect is lean and straight forward, with no wasted moves or patter. When the magic happens at the end, it's rapid fire and done without any noticeable fishy business. Ross teaches the entire routine very thoroughly (one presentation for adults in a comedy club type of environment, and one for children). He offers all sorts of suggestions concerning handling and pacing, and even explains how to do the effect surrounded. The Q&A session between Abbott and Ross at the end of the DVD is interesting and lively.

The spot card, a Dynamo Spot Card made by Nielsen Magic with white spots on a black background, looks and feels sleek and extremely durable. The gimmicks are deceptive even at close range. The prop includes a nice red felt carrying bag.

Never actually done the Spot Card effect before, and now I'm glad I waited. This is a terrific, fast-paced routine that could easily be used in a variety of settings.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
219 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
I agree with everything you said. It plays great for kids and surprisingly plays great for adults, too
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1297 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
If routine properly for small children, Spots can be a fun laughing none stop shouting trick.
Mike's handling makes the dirty work do easy. Excellent routine, handling with the best Spots card ever made.
Tricky Ricky
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12564 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Nice to see this old classic out!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Abbott Magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott Magic
Thanks MaxfieldsMagic! Michael and I both appreciate your kind words and satisfaction with SPOTS.
http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-store/SPOTS.html

Thanks as well to Cris Johnson and Tricky Ricky (when's lunch?)

Cheers
Bill
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Just got this yesterday, looks very strong. I brought it with the hope of building it into my busking act. I think th reset may well be a little too finicky for the street. Does and one know how to reach out to Mr. Ross? I'd love to see if he has any tips.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
3895 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have been doing the spot card for years, it will be good to see the reviews on this versión.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2583 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Blast from the past but I was looking for a quick, visual effect for an upcoming series of shows and picked this up on a whim. Did the spot card briefly about 25 years ago and always liked it but I never like the fiddling that was necessary to make the climaxes happen. In short, Michael's handling is the first handling I've seen or heard of where there is zero fiddling and where the three climaxes happen rapidly, one after the other, with no extra flipping. His handling is natural and flows smoothly and the sequencing really is a step forward to the traditional handling. The Dynamo card is nice. Black with white spots. The main spots are painted on, not stickers. That helps with smoothness. I like the look of it. My only slight gripe is that the necessary somethings are slightly weak. I would have preferred a little more strength, but it's not a deal breaker. (by way of reference, I also have the version Rohmany released a few years ago. It's shaped like a die and has huge spots. My only problem with it is that the strength is almost too much.)

The spot card will never be a show stopper, but it is always a nice middle or quick opener. This package is very nice. Teaching is clear and props are great quality. The handling changes are technically minor....but they make a huge difference in terms of flow, smoothness and speed.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
732 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Eric (and anyone else who owns Dynamo)

Years ago I too thought the gimmicks that you are referring to were not strong enough. I took some sandpaper and removed some of the felt from the back of the spots. Voila! Perfect strength. I own 3 of these and did the same to each one.

Also, I carry White-Out to touch up the permanent spots when needed. Works great!

Lou
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2583 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great! Thanks for the tips.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
302 Posts

Profile of A.J.
This is a great release from a pro who has used honed this routine for decades. Michael Ross also discusses how this routine can be used not just as an opener, but as a great seque way for other routines in your show. Excellent.

A.J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Spots by Michael Ross, produced and directed by Bill Abbott (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.156149 seconds, requiring 42 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [5] [8] [0] [1] [4] [3]