The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » First Impressions of Carvin StageMate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hello all,

As I promised, here is my report on the Carvin StageMate. (I received it Monday and used it for a show today for the first time.)

So far, I am really impressed with the StageMate. It is powerful, the sound is great for a speaker of it's size and it is really nicely made. It feels very durable and well-constructed.

I have talked with representatives at Carvin and they are helpful and courteous. I had several questions for them after I received it and they were very patient.

I bought the StageMate (S400) package that comes with an extra speaker so that I would get better coverage for outdoor shows.

My main PA system is a pair of JBL Eon G2 10 speakers with a Behringer mixer, which is pretty high end. The StageMate system was not meant to replace the Eon system but to use it in situations where it is more practical, i.e. outdoors, at smaller parties and when I don't have much time for set-up and break down. (The Eons require extension cords run to each, plus there's the mic cables from the mixer to the Eons, etc.)

I will continue to use the Eons for my bigger shows and my higher paying shows. About 20% of my shows are corporate banquets and I often use illusions. Since these shows pay more and take more time to set up, it's worth the extra effort to set up the Eons.

While the StageMate doesn't quite have the sound of the Eons, it is really a great system. I could easily see someone using it for all their shows. I can't tell you how good the coverage is for a big venue (since I haven't had that opportunity yet) but the system easily handled the small gym I worked today.

You can't beat the ease of set-up. Put the speaker on a stand, plug in your mic and your music (I use mini disc) and turn it on. It's ready to go. Since I use a battery powered mini disc system for the smaller shows, I don't have to plug anything into an outlet.

I'm using a corded headset mic so I don't have to find AC outdoors, but I mentioned in an earlier thread that you could probably find a knowledgeable electronics person who could tap into the 12V battery system and put a jack in the back of the StageMate to power a wireless receiver so you could run wireless without AC.

I mentioned that to a technical rep at Carvin and he liked the idea. Who knows, Carvin may start doing that sometime in the future.

I am very impressed with the sound coming from the StageMate. It had no problem handling the bass from my music and had enough equalization to make my mic sound good. It's definitely a big improvement from the Pyle Pro PWA3500 I was using before. That system had a tendency to buzz when I cranked it up.

The StageMate is heavier than many of the smaller PAs discussed here on The Magic Café (34 lbs.) but I'm sold on it. I'm really glad I bought the package with the extra speaker. (It's the same size but a lot lighter since it doesn't contain an amplifier, power supply and 12 volt lead acid battery.) My StageMate will weigh even more when I install a second battery, as recommended by Carvin if you use the extension speaker. It should double the amount of time you can use it before re-charging.

One other thing, I was surprised to find out that the speaker mount on the Carvins is the larger 1 1/2" socket rather than the 1 3/8" socket. Fortunately, my speaker stands came with adapters for the larger socket.

Here's where you can find out more about it: http://www.carvin.com/stagemate/index.html

If anyone has specific questions, let me know.

Michael

I forgot to mention one thing, in case anyone purchases one of the StageMates. The 1/4" inputs on the StageMate are "Line" inputs. This means they are less sensitive than the XLR "Mic" inputs. If you use a corded mic or a wireless receiver that connects with a 1/4" plug, you'll probably want to get an adapter that will let you plug the mic or receiver into the XLR jack. This will greatly increase the volume from the microphone.

(Line inputs are intended for use with instruments, cd/tape players, etc. Those type of music sources tend to be much louder than microphones, hence the lower sensitivity.)

Michael
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
HI Michael,
I have a question about what you mentioned concerning the XLR mic inputs. I already have a receiver with wireless mics (chiayo brand). The output line is the normal guitar mic canon style. Are you suggesting to get an adapter to plug into the other input that has the three holes in it? Is this what you mean? Please let me know if you have time. Thanks.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello JoJo,

You are correct. You'll want to use a 1/4" to XLR (male) adapter to connect your wireless mic with or you'll see a significant drop in volume. (I went through the same thing with the Fender Passport P-250 I used to own. I couldn't figure out why I had to really crank up the volume on the mic when the mini disc player was really loud. Then, I figured out that the 1/4" input was set up for a line source.)

Michael
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Hey guys this is not always the case with mic jacks. Most larger systems will be able to convert this for you, with a switch. They will be labeled:

Mic or Low- This is for a mic
Aux or Line or High- This is for your CD player, mini dic...

I have seen many hotel AV Managers go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with thier system when they just needed to flip a switch or push a button.

Thanks,
Fitz

The older Fender P250s had the switch. I just bought a Fender PD250 and it has a new option for something else that took the switch (Mic or Line out).

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello Fitz,

I had an older P250 and it did not have a switch. The P-150 does have a switch and that's what tipped me off about what my problem was with the P250. (A quick check of the specs on the P250 verified the difference between the sensitivity of the line jack versus the mic jack.)

Michael
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Michael:

Concerning the Stagemate and going wireless, how big is a typical wireless receiver, and where do you put it? If I understand correctly, the Stagemate goes onto a tripod type stand, so the speaker is off the ground. Once the Wireless Receiver is connected to the Stagemate, where does it go?

I'm really excited about the Stagemate. I've been to Carvin's website and it looks to be everything I want, except I'm not sure what to do about the wireless mic.
I plan on using this at outside parties, so I want everything to be very sturdy. Surely, you don't just set it on top...or do you?

Lastly, I went to my local Guitar Center to talk about PA Systems. The store expert said they didn't carry the Carvin, but that it is the best. He said, "I hate to say this because we don't sell it, but do yourself a favor and buy it now."

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I have seen some wireless receivers that were the same size as a belt back transmitter & ran on a 9V battery. I forgot their brand name but I remember they were very expensive & made in Germany.

Those would be ideal for a Carvin Stagemate because you could just stick one the back using Velcro & it would be very low profile with no loose wires.

I did look at getting a Carvin Stagemate but decided on a Mirpo PA. They have two small PA's, a 50 watt & 70 watt version that are a little smaller than the Carvin. What I like about them is that they have two internal UFH receivers inbuilt. I use one for my headset mic & the other one to achieve a wireless connection with my MiniTech. Having no external wires makes everything so much easier.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Andy:

Thanks for your help. I read your post concerning the Mipro, and have to say that it looks very tempting, especially with the internal wireless receiver. The only trouble I see is in getting one here in the states. Sounds like JoJo really helped you out big time! May I know what price you paid for the Mipro?

Thanks much!

Ron
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello Ron,

My wireless receiver (an Audio-Technica) is about 4" x 8" in size. When I use it with the StageMate, I simply put it directly under the speaker stand. Since the stand has a wide tripod base, it fits easily under there and is out of the way of most people.

If you want to be absolutely sure that it's out of the way, velcro is the way to go. You put some adhesive backed velcro on the bottom of the receiver and on top of the speaker and it will stay put.

I, personally, wouldn't be satisfied with the Mipro units. As Andy stated elsewhere in this forum, "The sound (from the Mipro) is nothing amazing but more than adequate for voice amplification and a little music for shows in smaller venues."

The sound from the StageMate is amazing. I use a lot of music and I love it. I have a more elaborate sound system that I use for my illusion shows (a pair of JBL Eon G2 10 speakers with mixer, etc.) but the StageMate really isn't nearly as much of a drop off in sound quality as you might expect.

Last week, I had an illusion show to do in a 500 seat auditorium. They needed the auditorium cleared in a hurry after the show and I decided that the JBL system would take too long to strike.

I wasn't sure how well the StageMate system would work in these circumstances but I took a chance. I had two microphones connected, a mini-disc system and a cd player. I used four music tracks during the show, plus plenty of pre-show music. It worked fantastically well! (Keep in mind I do have the extension speaker so I got great coverage.)

Now, my only problem is that I'm going to be tempted to use the StageMate system for all my shows rather than going to the effort to set up the JBL system! It sounds great and is really easy to use! I only have to run a speaker cable to the extension speaker and connect the wireless receiver, cd player and mini-disc.

I have installed the optional second battery in the StageMate and I've used it for nearly 5 hours on the first charge and it's still indicating that it has plenty of battery power left.

The only real disadvantage to using the StageMate for my illusion show is that I have all my electronics visible. By that, I mean my mini-disc deck (which is in a rack mount case), my wireless receiver and my remote control system for the mini-disc deck. Since the amp is in the speaker, all that has to be right next to it. (I set it up on the floor beneath the speaker. It wasn't too bad looking since it was off to the side but I still prefer having everything but the speakers behind my backdrop or off in the wings.)

One last thing, Ron. Carvin makes all their products in America. They are a company known for the guitar amps, guitars and other sound equipment. They build equipment for musicians and that's why the StageMate sounds so good. They're not marketing to magicians; they're marketing to musicians so it has to sound good.

As you can tell, I'm really sold on the StageMate.

Michael
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Michael:

Thanks so much for the reply...this is valuable information. Okay, I just have one more question as all of this is pretty new to me. Concerning the wireless receiver: Does it typically have an internal battery or can it be powered by the Stagemate? I guess what I'm really after is getting away from ANY need for A/C power. Since I plan on using this mostly outside, I want to eliminate the needed for plugging anything in. Is this possible? Andy mentioned the expensive German-made model that works off a 9V battery, but is there something more middle-of-the road?

Again, I sure appreciate your and Andy's help on this.

Ron
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm a different Andy, but...

You can find cheaper battery powered receivers, but you get what you pay for. I will never, ever, ever recommend using a receiver that is not a dual-diversity receiver. This means it has two antennas, and two receiver circuits, and the receiver constantly checks to see which antenna has the stronger signal and switches when one drops out to the stronger one. This way, you don't get dropouts, since dropouts rarely occur in both antennas at the same time.

To get a good sounding receiver with this feature that runs off batteries, it's going to cost you a bit. You'll only find it in higher end broadcasting receivers, such as the ones made by Sennheiser (I'm guessing this is the one Andy mentioned; Sennheiser is my standard recommended brand for wireless products, they sound great, have a wide price/feature range, and are solidly built).

--Andy Leviss, unofficial resident sound engineer
(soon to be touring the country with the musical "The Full Monty")
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello Ron,

I have two alternatives on how to do what you want. First, if you know someone with a good electronics background, you can have them rig up the StageMate so that your wireless receiver will run off the StageMate's battery. Most wireless receivers run off a 12 volt power pack. (The big block that you plug into the wall converts the 110 volts down to the 12 volts the receiver needs.)

Since the StageMate runs off a 12 volt battery, all your tech has to do is install a jack that matches your receiver's input and make a cable that plugs the receiver directly to the StageMate. I had a music store do that with another battery-powered PA I used. They charged $25 to do the whole thing, including providing the cable to connect it.

As I mentioned above, I told this to a Carvin customer service representative and he indicated he would suggest that to Carvin's tech people. Who knows, they might start offering that as an option. (If you do buy a StageMate, I would suggest you see if they're willing to do it for you. I have used Shure, Audio-Technica and Sennheiser wireless receivers and all 3 used the same type power adapter and input for the AC cord, so it seems to be pretty universal. You will want to make sure that whatever receiver you use is set up the same way, i.e. buy the wireless before you have the StageMate modified!)

Now, with all that said, here's the simplest way to go and the way I use my StageMate for smaller shows and outdoor shows. I use a corded headset mic (I can hear the boos and hisses already!). This really simplifies it. No need for any AC, no need to modify the StageMate and no need to worry about interference that can happen with a wireless mic. Sure, you have a tail - the mic cable - but I used a corded lavalier microphone for about 8 years before wireless came down in price so it's no big deal.

A corded mic is inexpensive, compared to wireless, and it doesn't have any interference. I use an Audio-Technica corded headset mic. Here's a link to it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=......id/38607
This is a good mic (it's the same one that comes with the wireless unit I use, except that it has an XLR connector). Add a 25' or 50 ' mic cable and you're set. Also, I got it on sale for $59.99 at Musicians Friend so you may get a better deal if you're patient.

The only time the wire is a problem is when I'm doing illusion shows. I move around in circles as I'm spinning the Zig-Zag so the cable would get tangled up, plus I can't do Metamorphosis with a cord attached to me! I know it seems pretty dated to use a corded mic but it definitely is an easy method. (Plus, I used the corded mic as a backup to my wireless. If something goes wrong, I can always plug it in.)

Hope this helps,
Michael

P.S. I did some quick checking on the Internet and found that there are two main types of battery-powered wireless receivers. There are the higher end ones made by Sennheiser and Shure and there are the cheap ones made by some off-brands.

The high end ones are meant for professional videographers and broadcast journalists, which is why they are costly. The cheaper ones are intended for the home video cameras and I suspect they won't be very good.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi there,
I wanted to add a couple of thoughts here on mic systems. I've used several over the past 10 years now. I first used a Chiayo battery operated system (similar to Mipro, but a lot more expensive) for about 4 years. It also had the built in wireless receivers. It worked very well. I was then given a Chiayo wireless 2 hand held mics receiver. This is the flat type about 18 inches or so long. It can be plugged into most PA systems. It has and still works very well for me. Another friend gave me a Chiayo wireless headset mic that I had the frequency changed to match the receiver. I still use it for many shows outside where a PA is supplied, but there is no other headset mic available. One good point about living here in Taiwan is that I've been able to get the mics and receivers repaired quickly, at the most 2 days, and mainly for free.
The main advantage I see in the Mipro (MA_705) is that it is small, and very portable and the mic receivers are built in. It uses UHF which gives good range. Andy Walker told me he still gets a signal up to 100 metres. For not much difference in price I can get combinations to suit what anyone would want. For example a 705, with either 2 handheld mics, or a handheld and headset mic, or 2 headset mics. There are two choices of headset mics, a normal and very slim mic style. They can also be bought with a built in CD player or a tape deck or without either.

By the way, here in Taiwan the Mipros are always sold with 2 mics of your choice, and not one only with an optional extra one costing you more money. If you're told that, believe me they are adding on to the price big time, as the originals are all sold with 2 mics as standard out of the factory. I've been there and know the international sales manager personally.

Anyway enough ranting.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Just a quick note. As I posted in "The Workshop" section of this forum, I am experimenting with using 8 "AA" batteries to run my wireless receiver. My receiver operates off of 12 volts and, of course, 8 "AA" batteries equal 12 volts.

I should be able to let you know if it worked by tomorrow.

Michael
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Michael:

Yes, I think I'm going to do exactly as you describe. I'm going to get the Stagemate, use it with the wired headset, and save up for a high quality wireless system that I can velcro to Stagemate unit.

If I had not read all the good things you have to say about it, I probably never would've bought the Statemate because I'd think that it's too good to be true.

Again, thanks for all your valuable advice - it is appreciated VERY much!

Ron
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Hello Ron,

I also have some good news on my wireless system. For the cost of $7, I was able to make a battery pack to use with the receiver!

As I mentioned above, my receiver runs off a 12 volt power supply. (I have both a Sennheiser and an Audio-Technica wireless system and they both run off 12 volt AC adapters.)

I went to Radio Shack and purchased a battery holder that holds 8 "AA" batteries and a 9 volt battery snap connector. (That was needed because the holder has a snap connector rather than wires leading from it.)

I already had an extra AC adapter for my Audio-Technica that unit. (The adapter didn't work any longer.) I cut the adapter off and then wired the rest of the cord to the 9 volt snap connector (I had to figure out which one was the positive wire and which was the negative, but the guy at Radio Shack told me how to do it).

I checked it out and it worked. It also works with the Sennheiser receiver. I should be able to get at least 12 hours out of the batteries by my calculations.

The only thing you would have to buy that I didn't is the connector that goes from the end of the wire to the jack on the receiver (That's what I got off of the dead power adapter).

From what I've seen, most of the wireless receivers (Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica) use the same type of 12 volt adapter so you should be able to find a wireless system that you can make this kind of battery pack for. It was really easy and I know nothing about electricity and wiring!

Let me know if you have questions.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » First Impressions of Carvin StageMate (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL