The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First day as a magician- starting issues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
I generally confront a group with something along the lines of:

1. "Hi, my name is Scott, and I'm a magician."
2a. "I've been asked by ____ to show you some (free) magic today." [Only if I've been invited by an entity to have me work someplace.] ...or...
2b. ...or... "I'm going around showing people free magic today." [If I'm just showing people magic at some public non-official event, or maybe busking.]
3. Would *any of you* be interested in seeing some free magic today?

I phrase it "any of you", because - almost certainly ONE person in the group would be enthusiastic about seeing some magic. Once I have one member of the group say so, the rest of the group will stick around, to be polite to the person who spoke up. The silent spectators will almost always watch and be amazed. Smile
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Morris
View Profile
New user
Anderson Indiana
7 Posts

Profile of Morris
I have just started working restaurants again after about a year off, and I found that my first night back
I was crazy nervous, sweating like I had just ran a mile. now after 3 weeks have past I am in the groove. the secret that works for me is just to relax and have fun and make sure you know what you are going to do at the table, but remain flexible. for me it's kids. I really don't have material for children so I have to learn a couple of new bits; and its not a bad thing. but as I said relax have fun with your audience be yourself, because that is when the real magic happens!
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 13:45, Yekrats wrote:

I phrase it "any of you", because - almost certainly ONE person in the group would be enthusiastic about seeing some magic. Once I have one member of the group say so, the rest of the group will stick around, to be polite to the person who spoke up. The silent spectators will almost always watch and be amazed. Smile

Very swell! I used to ask "Would you all like to see a bit of magic?" Generally the doubting Thomas will speak up before the enthusiastic Ethan does. So wording it as you all makes it seem if the whole table doesn't want to watch than I shall just leave. Using any of you would quite possibly pipe down the said Thomas... Excited to try this!

EDIT: I'm a grammar nazi and found several errors as I proofread after posting.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
I am relatively new to magic and I would like to get in some practice with performing in front of strangers. As I also play a musical instrument, I have decided to give the local farmers' market a try.

Basically, play music to draw a few people. After the music ask them if they would like to see a magic trick. Of course there will be some patter.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a plan.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Approaching a table or group at any public place is one of the most difficult things to learn about table hopping. It helps if you are there at the behest of the management since the crowd should know there is a magician in the house. One thing to help your nerves would be to not go in with every prop or effect you might possibly perform in a case or in your pockets. Have a rehearsed set that will last about 7 minutes consisting of 3 effects that you plan on doing for each group. Have a few back up effects if some of your audiences want to see more. If one of those back up effects is really a normal deck and you can jam with it then all the better. Using several gaffed decks is usually poor planning. When I table hop I may have one or two special decks in case a request is made for something special, but I don't usually plan on doing those effects at every table. Also, don't be offended if someone says, "No thank you!" Some people don't like magic and some may be there on a special date or discussing business and simply don't wish to be disturbed. Wish them a good evening and move along. Also, since you are there for your own enjoyment, or at least so it sounds, do some things for the bartender if he or she isn't really busy. They may point you out to someone they know who may want to watch something and if you help them make an extra tip you will have all the spectators you want.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First day as a magician- starting issues (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL