We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Real magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
That's what a girl asked me for whom I did a bottom deal demonstration and twisting the aces.
the real quote is this: Is it real like witchcraft or is it sleight-of-hand?
I must have totally blown her away.

The look on her face was nice to see, and the reason I do magic. I knew she would react well.

Did you get these reactions as well? Tell us your stories!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2387 Posts

Profile of critter
"Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage."
-Theodore Roosevelt

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-Valeyard-and-Co-Magic-and-Juggling/258460854331694
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Cirrus, what you wrote reminds me of an entry in A Field Guide to the Audience, located on the cheat sheet at the front of the Magic for Dummies book, by David Pogue:

Quote:
The Longbilled Believer: In this age of Psychic Hotlines, X-Files, and alien-abduction theories, an increasing number of audiences actually believe in magic. Do a mindreading trick for this kind, and you get almost no reaction at all -- just a small, knowing smile and some nodding. It can be hard to impress one of these onlookers, since they've quietly believed all along that reality is a government conspiracy.

(Other entries include The Yellow-Bellied Grabber (who can't resist grabbing your props), The Farfetched Guesser (who shouts out incredibly ridiculous theories on how a trick is done), and The Puff-Chested Boyfriend (who doesn't like to let his girlfriend see that he can be fooled).)

Though this article is written partly in jest, it is accurate in saying that some of your audience will believe in real magic. That can be easy for us magicians to forget, as we've accepted the fact that impossible feats can be done (or appear to be done) through trickery and illusion -- even if we'd never be able to explain how it's done in a million years.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Granted, cirrus, unlike some Longbilled Believers, your spectator was not hard-to-impress, so I think that maybe another category should be invented for types such as her: They generally accept that magic isn't real, but show them a stunning trick and you can make them re-evaluate their belief in real magic.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
And then to believe that the workers forum bashed me for stating that she did believe in real magic. They bash me a lot over there because my views differ from theirs.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I guess you didn't read my post.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
14187 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess a myterious power made it vanish.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field, WI
651 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
You may find reading about the Meyers Briggs Personality Assesment interesting.
I believe that a performer should understand his or her audience.
Understanding Meyers Briggs stuff will offer great insight into the people you work with.
A mistake many performers make is that their audience thinks like them.
First off Meyers Briggs says something about yourself.
For example, my personality type is found in 1.5% of society.
I am kind of a hard nosed jerk that demands reality from those around me.
Peoople tend not to like me.
On the other hand, there is a class of people that make up about 25% of society.
When you do a trick for them it is wonderful.
If you tell a joke it is wonderful.
Curiously, this person is very popular and every person in the room is trying to get their attention.
Any lady of this type will be surrounded by 10 guys.
A skillful performer will cater to all types with his show.
Or, he or she will pick the places to perform and aim at a particular audience.
Referencing Cirrus' reaction of the lady mentioned above, I had a somewhat similiar experience.
At a party I offered to show a lady a trick. All I did was make a balled up napkin disappear.
She was real exicted to see the trick. She folded her hands on her lap and appeared eager to see.
I rolled up the napkin and did a basic vanish.
She looked the other way as if seeing the devil.
Then she stood up and walked away without looking at me.
Hmmmm. I guess I learned something.
Al Schneider
There is only one absolute truth.

That is that we do not know the absolute truth.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I love my studies in psychology. I was interested in psychology before I even started. I know that I have a very likable personality. People are always friendly to me. People have said about me that I am a man of the world, that I know my way around everybody. Children like me instantly, that gives me an instant edge.

I know out of my own experience that a smile and some basic rules of politeness can get you far.

Standing straight to make you look powerfull and hunching over in humbleness can get you far at the right moment. In a basic conversation only 7 procent is the things you say, the rest is how you say it and body language.

I think in magic it is the same. 9 procent is what you say and do and 91 procent is how you say and do it (the body language and psychology behind it).

I love to perform as if my magic is real. I have to believe it, and my whole body language signals that I believe it.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2950 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Fascinating thread. Thanks, guys!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 03:45, tommy wrote:

nnnnnope, its still there. But nice try, Tammy.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 15:26, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 03:45, tommy wrote:

nnnnnope, its still there. But nice try, Tammy.

what post?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The post in your workers thread about the girl who asked you if it was real magic.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Yes, I read it, but most people on that forum will bash you.

Again on topic: I didn't tell the girl how I exactly did the routine, only that it was accomplished by sleight-of-hand. I don't like to lie about something that isn't what it looks like to be.

I would have answered her question if I was doing bizarre magic. Bizarre magic is supposed to look real.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2449 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The problem to a certain extent is how one defines "Real Magic". I mean, in truth, you could answer 'yes' to that question. But, most of us here know that when someone asks the question they mean, "Are you Harry Potter?" Or, more pointedly, "Are you using Supernatural power of some kind to do that?" So we answer 'no' and go on.

But, that brings us back full circle upon full circle upon full circle of discussions that have gone on here for years. Maybe 'magic' is not the best way to denote what we do. Personally I like 'Illusionist', but technically in the craft that describes any act that uses large animals or humans in the production of their effects. Rats.

Foolist, conjurist, .... sigh.... magician.... ;-)
Brad Burt
Brad Burt's Magic Shop Online
www.bradburtsmagicshop.com

Brad Burt's Private Lesson Teaching DVDS:
http://www.nexternal.com/bburt/Category18
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1310 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
I think the term "illusionist" is perfectly viable. We do not need to limit ourselves to conventions established by the magic tricks marketplace that serve it's need to differentiate categories of wares. The only consideration is how it rings for the character we are channeling, er, portraying. . . ok, selling.
Michael Kamen
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
1132 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 07:34, Al Schneider wrote:
You may find reading about the Meyers Briggs Personality Assesment interesting.
I believe that a performer should understand his or her audience.
Understanding Meyers Briggs stuff will offer great insight into the people you work with.
A mistake many performers make is that their audience thinks like them.
First off Meyers Briggs says something about yourself.
For example, my personality type is found in 1.5% of society.
I am kind of a hard nosed jerk that demands reality from those around me.
Peoople tend not to like me.

Imagine if you would have done Slydini's paper napkins over her head. This would have really freaked her out.

Ray
On the other hand, there is a class of people that make up about 25% of society.
When you do a trick for them it is wonderful.
If you tell a joke it is wonderful.
Curiously, this person is very popular and every person in the room is trying to get their attention.
Any lady of this type will be surrounded by 10 guys.
A skillful performer will cater to all types with his show.
Or, he or she will pick the places to perform and aim at a particular audience.
Referencing Cirrus' reaction of the lady mentioned above, I had a somewhat similiar experience.
At a party I offered to show a lady a trick. All I did was make a balled up napkin disappear.
She was real exicted to see the trick. She folded her hands on her lap and appeared eager to see.
I rolled up the napkin and did a basic vanish.
She looked the other way as if seeing the devil.
Then she stood up and walked away without looking at me.
Hmmmm. I guess I learned something.
Al Schneider
EnterTRAINment at its best.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Athens, Georgia USA
1674 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Performance magic is a strange type of performance art. It's more of a ludic interplay--as there are elements of reality intermixed in a way not found in most kinds of drama.

Within the safe confines of a play, the magician promises to fool the audience. Within the friendly context of a game, the magician promises to cheat you. It's something like hiring fake thieves to rob your fake house and it better be good. Maybe it's like that movie _The Game_ with Micael Douglas. One great contributer to The Magic Café called it a "real-time, real-space illusion."

The contract with the audience calls for both a more realistic portrayal AND a more fantastical effect than most theater. The audience will feel more satisfied when everything seems on the up and up--the conventions of no camera tricks, no actors involved--and when, at the same time, the experience is unexpainable and impossible.

So magicians generally have a deal with the audience. The effect proper should appear very, very real; but the general agreement is that no real magic is involved.
Word Crimes
--Alan Wheeler
English Instructor
and Performing Magician
Jesus vs. the Occult
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26037 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-04-26 06:43, cirrus wrote:...
Did you get these reactions as well?

A few times. Once I understood the question I felt uncomfortable. The first couple of experiences got me curious about "real magic/witchcraft" and helped me get past the "tricks for attention" mode of performing and toward are more "gift of entertainment" approach.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2387 Posts

Profile of critter
My boy thinks I'm a Jedi. I see no reason to correct him.
"Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage."
-Theodore Roosevelt

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-Valeyard-and-Co-Magic-and-Juggling/258460854331694
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Athens, Georgia USA
1674 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
"For me, the maximum impact is not a belief that I have psychic powers. That's not difficult to achieve, and neither is amazement. It's inherently amazing, and the conclusion that one must be in some way psychic is the obvious first route for a spectator to take.
I'm happiest when the reaction is more resonant: when the spectator feels a little challenged by what's happened. That they KNOW it's not psychic, and don't have an easy label to put on it. In the end, there's only your persona as a performer that you have to concentrate on communicating. The routines are mere demonstrations (although they have to be great ones): you are more than the sum of them. The difference between the two is where the 'magic' lies. So whatever belief they attach to what they've seen - whatever conclusions they draw - I'll consistently challenge them, so they can't find a comfortable answer. The only thing I'll really nail for them is that it's not a psychic event.
That's the maximum 'after-effect' for me, not just eliciting a quick scream or an 'Ohmygodhowdidyoudothat'.
Thanks,
db"
Derren Brown at The Magic Café on September 17, 2004
Word Crimes
--Alan Wheeler
English Instructor
and Performing Magician
Jesus vs. the Occult
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1862 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
That sounds like someone who loves the dilemma.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
635 Posts

Profile of dduane
I don’t want my magic to be just amazing or seem like I have real powers. The reaction I want is kind of simple or childlike – yet complex as well. The best reaction is when the spectator feels that it’s fun or delightful to have her logic skewed and tickled at the same time. Also it opens that all-to-often locked door of possibilities in one’s mind. Maybe we aren’t limited to just what we have created as our reality – all the while knowing there is a trick to it. That’s the joy of magic. To get a sudden dose of possibilities and at the same time humor in witnessing the illogical.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2950 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Tickled logic? Interesting term...
TH

Occupy Your Dream
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
635 Posts

Profile of dduane
Ya...don't you love it when the spectator is so effected that she laughs?
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1744 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I love all reactions (not the "I know how you did that")
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2950 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
The unpredictability of the reactions is half the fun.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
AlexB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of AlexB
Quote:
On 2012-06-04 17:59, dduane wrote:
Ya...don't you love it when the spectator is so effected that she laughs?

To me, that's one of the best reactions one can get.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
improbable magic & extraordinary acts
5294 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-06-04 12:29, dduane wrote:
a sudden dose of possibilities

I'm going to steal that if you don't mind
"there is real merit in the magician who tries to be creative – from such endeavors magic sustains its life energy." Harold Rice

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at gusarimagic@comcast.net
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
635 Posts

Profile of dduane
Sure - thanks for the compliment! (PM'd you, also)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Real magic? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.237885 seconds, requiring 98 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [9] [4] [7] [0] [9] [7]