The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to get 5 cards returned and moved to top of deck? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Lets say I have 5 cards with 5 different audience members. I want to get them back one by one from spec 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I need them arranged on top of the pack 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that means 1 on top. As I move from spec to spec, I should look like I'm mixing everything up. Any suggestions?

regds
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
If you use the underspread cull and send them to the bottom, you could overhand shuffle them back to the top running the last 5 singly, thus bringing them in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 sequence from the top down.
ME
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
What ever set of controls you use it has to look the same every time or people will get suspicious. This means both in the selection and in the handling on the return.

I've seen a simple handling using 3 selections in either RRTCM or ECT. Simple use of injogs and overhand shuffle controls. I'll see if I can dig out the full references

Billy
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Can you do the Hindu Shuffle control? There is a good description of this sleight in Le Paul`s book "the Card Magic of Le Paul". It is used in one of his routines to control four selections to the top. Just remember that the cards should be returned in reverse order (number 5 first) to reach the 1-2-3-4-5 order. If you need some more help with this, send me a private message.

Risto
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
jw,

You have the cards selected, then you fan the deck and take the first card and put it up-jogged in the fan, number two taken and put up-jogged a few cards to the right, number three the same as with four and five. Fan now has five cards up jogged. It is closed and the deck squared and in the process of pushing the up jogged cards square with the deck. In one fluid motion (as part of the squaring action) you do a Vernon Strip-Out. All five card in the correct order on the top of the deck.

Easier to do than to describe!

Method number two: The cards are selected individually and immediately returned to the deck before the next card is selected.

The BIG secret is… crimp the bottom card. Fan the cards to spectator one, they take the card and look at it, show it around. You square the deck, swing cut the top half off and have the card placed on top of that portion. Drop (spring if you can) the bottom talon onto that half. Double undercut to the crimp and viola’ the selected card is on top and the crimp is on the bottom ready for card number two!

Do this five more times and you will have the cards on top in reverse order. Rapidity shuffle the top five cards off one at a time (reversing their order) and drop the balance of the deck on top (hey! That puts the crimped card on top of them. Shuffle a few more cards off and drop the balance on top of them (moves the crimp card up closer to the middle while looking like you are really mixing the cards!). Cut at the break and guess what? Yep, the selected cards are in correct order on the top of the deck ready for whatever you plan to do with them.

It takes longer to write this than to perform it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
There are all sorts of multiple shift controls, I assume you are trying to duplicate something you've seen?

There is also a book out at the moment on multiple selection routines by Steve Beam and someone else.

Or you could just do a U.F. Grant and cheat
:) See his "Terrific" in "The New Phoenix" issue 351.

This magazine I was told is now on CD from Houdini's Magic Shop.

You could do with some books or videotapes on basic card technique and you will see how to adapt controls for multiple selections.

Paul Hallas.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Like Paul said, there are tons of multiple shifts. Martin Nash has a popular one.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
If I remember correctly, Steve Bedwell gave a great example in his "Thick Schtick" book.
It also shows how to do the EASIEST doublift in history!
Ted (Leondo)
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I would say do the Neal Elias multiple shift, but you want to reverse the order of the cards, so you want to control the cards to the top of the deck one by one, that means you have to put each one in the deck one by one.. but why do that???

Just do the Neal Elias multiple shift anyway... you can just reverse the cards when you put them in the deck... like before you put them in the deck... just take 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then shift away.... then it's time for a nice false shuffle and your set!!!

Don't make things all complicated by having each card returned singly. It will just drag out the whole effect.

Just shift them and blammo!!!!
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
there is a multi shift imitation in card college 2 in the hindu shuffle section
Reian
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
117 Posts

Profile of Reian
The first thing that popped in my head was, Andrus Card Control book(s). For me, I wouldn't use the overhand shuffle and shuffle off each card singly. Get's the job done but makes your overhand shuffle look ugly.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I always use the Kelly Bottom Placement for this type of effect and control... Viola!! start your amazing productions of the selected cards.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to get 5 cards returned and moved to top of deck? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL