The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a Square-Circle (or a Square Square) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
It looks like but I've got what I think is an important suggestion. The square has to be a bright contrasting color to help the illusion! The square in the picture looks like it's also black.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Magic Rik

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The contrast between a lighter colored "frame" surrounding the opening and the interior provides a stronger illusion. You can actually accomplish the same effect if you paint a narrow border all the way around the opening, same color as the corner scrolls (which look very nice, BTW). The red edging comes close to accomplishing this, but the illusion can be tightened up a bit. It also helps to define the opening, which could be a bit ambiguous under some lighting conditions if you have black on black (think about the method). You don't want another feature to point directly to the method! Smile

Overall, it looks like a nice early project. You should be proud.

One other suggestion. It appears that the base has no velvet on it. If anyone can see the BA tube contrast against it (looking in from a higher angle), then it should be covered with velvet, as well.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Michael

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

I have a piece of velvet for the base - I had noticed that. I like the idea of the red around the opening.

Cheers

Rik
Magic Rik

windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
If anyone is looking to build a larger squaare circle, the tube concrete forms that you can buy at Lowes or Home depot work great. They light, made of cardboard and easy to cover with the velvet.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a Square-Circle (or a Square Square) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL