The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » And the scientific data says....its getting cooler. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oh Santa, you are definately for it! It's a great tool to distribute wealth to pooror nations and as a newby liberal, you should realize that anything that will help distribute wealth, you are for! And even though 99.9874% of actual scientists said that by now we would be beyond the tipping point, don't let that bother you one bit, k?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-05-05 20:40, MagicSanta wrote:
As a newby liberal I forget, am I for or against global warming?

You must acquire the "Liberal Manual". However you must earn it by getting liberal points. You must publicly endorce gay marriage, and abortion but also condone adoption by same sex parents. These are just a few of the more well known point getters, there are many more but I cannot list them all.

Also if you demonstrate at any of the "occupy thingys" you also get points. At these gatherings just ask the people participating and they will guide you toward your goal of becoming a real honest to goodness liberal. Not sure how many points one needs for one of these manuals but in the meantime if Bush or Regan were for it you are aganist it. That should work until you get the manual. I am not sure if you are allowed to have a job but if you do, you have to despise your employer for making a profit. Smile

Hope this helps.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IMHO the pertinent questions are:
if the climate is changing - what is possible to do given what we know now?
what does that mean for us here, and what about the other 9/10 people in the world?
what would it take for those other 9/10 people in the world to go along with whatever the plan is?

The politics of environmental scare were pretty much* covered by the Crichton book a while ago. What's new?

* he may have left out the "end of the world as planned" agenda and those who would see it happen rather than avoided - and so interfere with implementation of plans.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Or you can ignore the uninformed sarcasm and just go by the standard definition:

Quote:
Social liberalism is the belief that liberalism should include social justice. It differs from classical liberalism in that it believes the legitimate role of the state includes addressing economic and social issues such as unemployment, health care, and education while simultaneously expanding civil rights. Under social liberalism, the good of the community is viewed as harmonious with the freedom of the individual. Social liberal policies have been widely adopted in much of the capitalist world, particularly following World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism

Conservatives are those who don't believe in such things. You have to decide for yourself what you are.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Gosh darn it! Until gays can all have abortions and then adopt married people I shall continue to warm the earth, so help me non-existant anything!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Underneath the hobby horses and grandstanding are some real issues.
Then again, who wants to address real issues when they can argue about what's "right" on the internet?

You'll find my modest proposal of a plan posted on the Café a few years ago. What do you have that's better?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah squares. Hi jon. Nice new photo.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-05-05 22:02, MagicSanta wrote:
Gosh darn it! Until gays can all have abortions and then adopt married people I shall continue to warm the earth, so help me non-existant anything!

Ha, ha...I love it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
What does this have to do with robots?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-05 22:58, MagicSanta wrote:
Yeah squares. Hi jon. Nice new photo.

Thanks, one is a Kandinsky's "Maintaining" and the other is Alan Moore/Todd Klein's "Alpahabet" text item.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-05-05 21:50, mastermindreader wrote:
Or you can ignore the uninformed sarcasm and just go by the standard definition:

Quote:
Social liberalism is the belief that liberalism should include social justice. It differs from classical liberalism in that it believes the legitimate role of the state includes addressing economic and social issues such as unemployment, health care, and education while simultaneously expanding civil rights. Under social liberalism, the good of the community is viewed as harmonious with the freedom of the individual. Social liberal policies have been widely adopted in much of the capitalist world, particularly following World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism

Conservatives are those who don't believe in such things. You have to decide for yourself what you are.

He just said he was a liberal...he didn't say he was a social liberal. I think the real question is what one believes is encompassed by the word "addresses" in the above definition.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What's the carbon footprint of that drudge worker? <- robot if you use Czech.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-05 23:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think the real question is what one believes is encompassed by the word "addresses" in the above definition.

No. I think the real question is why you have chosen to critique the reasonable definition I have provided while letting pass the stereotypical garbage definitions to which I was responding.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-05-06 00:19, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-05 23:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think the real question is what one believes is encompassed by the word "addresses" in the above definition.

No. I think the real question is why you have chosen to critique the reasonable definition I have provided while letting pass the stereotypical garbage definitions to which I was responding.

Because on their face, they didn't merit serious response. They were either attempts at humor, insult, or preaching to the choir.

Your own substitution of "social liberal" for "liberal" (complete with a definition that distinguishes it from "classical liberal," which is self-evidently also a form of liberalism) was much more subtle.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-06 00:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Because on their face, they didn't merit serious response. They were either attempts at humor, insult, or preaching to the choir.

Your own substitution of "social liberal" for "liberal" (complete with a definition that distinguishes it from "classical liberal," which is self-evidently also a form of liberalism) was much more subtle.

That makes sense. I should have ignored it as well as it truly wasn't worth a response.

I didn't intend to be subtle by defining social versus classical liberalism. I was merely using a definition of the type of liberalism that is commonly referred to in normal discussion.

Yes, I agree that the word "addressed" in the definition I provided does go to the heart of the distinction, insofar as the manner in which these things are addressed really defines the difference in liberal and conservative ideas.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
So where will the US taxpayers etc go now to get back the billions and trillions of their tax dollars stolen for the imaginary man made 'global warming” false alarm?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » And the scientific data says....its getting cooler. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL