The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Real Secrets - recommended for close up/parlour? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Greetings,

I was wondering about Real secrets (http://www.realsecrets.org/about-real-secrets). If you are a member would you recommend joining?

I am NOT asking for any descriptions of any kind. I am asking in accordance with the text in bold (taken from the real secrets website:http://www.realsecrets.org/product/platinum-membership-intl)

"You agree not to describe, share, or post videos of any of the effects or methods shared in the Real Secrets community. Our goal is to protect these secrets for you and all of the other members. You understand and agree that you cannot share your membership number with anyone else.

We ask that you not post any information about the materials you receive, the number of objects, the types of routines, the names of the creators and contributors. In short, we ask that you do not post any information about Real Secrets.

Of course you are entitled to talk or post about your relative, specific or overall satisfaction with your experience as a member of the community, or your opinion about the quality or value of the material."

Many thanks,

Danny
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I am guessing lots of people are curious but few have joined?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Check "No More Speculation- REAL SECRETS IS FINALLY HERE!" UNDER "TRICKS AND EFFECTS"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
$180.00 - for what? They probably don't want you to share any of the "real secrets" because there's not much to share. But I'm just guessing. You'll learn a lot more here on the Café if you just stick with it.

Jim
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
The Café has a wealth of information from seasoned professionals from around the world. You will get a plethora of advice, insight and experience. This is where you should be spending your time, IMHO.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thanks for the link MR M!

There is of course many good items from many excellent sources....but that should not be a reason for ignoring a new one that comes along.

Case in point....I am doing table hopping (2 sets of 3 routines, each with several phases) and possibly 30 minutes in the lounge beforehand....but I am running out of non card tricks that I can carry in my pocket....so real secrets

""You'll get magic with receipts, gum, photographs, jelly beans, Rock Paper Scissors, Scratch Cards, diets, coins, brain power, drawings, ads, ropes, and so much more. We have tried to focus on different effects other than the standard card and coins". is of interest.

Danny
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You are welcome, Danny! You are moving on a very good path, and advise and opinions may help. If you want any further thoughts from me, just PM...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Real Secrets may not be a bad idea. I thought this was a website selling secrets, turns out they are providing props and routines on a monthly basis. I can't think of a single magic trick you can buy for $15, so this may not only be a good deal, it could be a lot of fun. Let's hope they keep it fresh, provide quality props, and continue to get ideas from the "heavy hitters" in this business.

Jim
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
It's hard to answer because, yes, while it's only $15 a month, it's $180 a year, which, for some, is not insignificant. And over the course of that year, some effects may be to your liking and some inevitably won't. It's not like every month you'll get something you want to add to your table-hopping set. I'm mixed on RS so far -- not wildly positive or negative. I'm going to give it another couple of months before I decide whether it's for me or not.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Bug jack, did you like the bonus material? So far I feel like I got 4 new things for $6 each because I signed up from the start.
We can't even get a designer deck for that.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Votes are being registered here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......t=180#19

Please visit and comment if you would like to vote.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
For the value -- check out the Magic Nook -- http://www.magicnook.com/index.html

hundreds of effects and routines for $5-$10 with online support --

and you choose what you want.

Since the "Real Secrets" of Magic performance have little to do with getting a new trick, I'd hate to see new members get caught up into subscribing for something they can't control -- and the "drop what you are practicing" to try something new idea isn't a great attitude either.

This site might be great for a seasoned performer with dozens of polished effects "under their belt" and looking to expand their horizons, but for anew performer a couple fo good books (free at the library)and effects selected to meet one's personal needs sounds like a better approach.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Funsway,

I have purchased Magic Nook PDF's in the past. They are much more "DIY" crafty projects than the professionaly produced and finished materials that Real Secrets has been providing.

I think you are comparing Real Secrets Apples to Magic Nook Plastic (PVC?) Oranges.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 22:56, newguy wrote:
Funsway,

I have purchased Magic Nook PDF's in the past. They are much more "DIY" crafty projects than the professionaly produced and finished materials that Real Secrets has been providing.

I think you are comparing Real Secrets Apples to Magic Nook Plastic (PVC?) Oranges.

No, I am comparing learning magic by "doing" to just buying tricks no matter what the quality. Buying "fruit" from either source is not desirable when compared with focusing on learning to perform an "effect" before a live spectator -- master one effect before shifting to another. In my experience, the approach of learning magic offered by "Real Secrets" is not good for new magicians.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Funsway,

It sounds like you are a Real Secrets member, or is this all speculation from the outside?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Not a member -- and they probably offer a superior service and products. That is no the issue, and I am not in a position to judge. The question is "who to market to" and I just don't agree it is ideal for new magicians -- so, not "speculation" either; just an experienced opinion. The "Real Secrets of Magic" have little to do with what comes in the box.

By analogy, I am sure that the pots and pans sold by "Taste of Heaven" are worth $1200 per set, but not to be sold to kids as "learn how to cook."

I could be wrong. Perhaps any ploy to keep young folks off of violent video games is self-justifying. How about sending a new trick every week or every day? My only stipulation would be that they earn the money themselves ;-).

newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Funsway, we are not so far apart in principle, but as I have seen the finished product from both sides, the Real Secrets item this month would be perfect for a beginner or a professional. I bet a new magician could learn the "how" in under a minute and the presentation is so natural, there is no silly story or artificial sounding patter.

You should give it a try!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I would give it a try if I could pay $15 a month....but alas in the UK it has to be a year up front. Of course it is important to practice existing tricks and polish performance....but I would still like interesting effects to perfect and polish, or maybe not even use just consider.

Danny
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
"You should give it a try!" Pass ...

I have boxes full of effects I've never mastered and mnay books that could stand a reread, and even some old VHS magic stuff gifted to me but yet unseen. What little free time I have for magic I will spend documenting effects I already know to pass on to others.

Besides, I've never acquired a magic trick just to "try it" -- no reason to start now -- especially someone else's idea of what may be right for me. Subscribing to such an open ended arrangement just doesn't sit right with me. I have enough trouble with the Linking Rings only having card tricks ;-)

Different strokes -- but again, my only objection is that it is posted in "New to Magic" forum

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Funsway,

We appear to agree on a lot things here. There is a world of difference between learning to be a magician and simply acquiring magic "stuff". It's back to the old line "What good does it do to wink at a pretty girl in the dark?"

TV magic is not live magic. Videos are a poor "make do" for seeing the effect performed live. Attending conventions and lectures before buying the prop make the most sense to me. I certainly prefer books to video for learning magic. (And this comes from someone with PhD. coursework in Film and TV Production. One solution does not fix all needs. Unless you are only going to do video magic, learning to perform live magic makes more sense!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Real Secrets - recommended for close up/parlour? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL