The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Silk in Egg Query (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I'd like to add Silk in (to) Egg to my show, but I'm a wee bit nervous about carrying a a real egg around in my pocket, even for just a few minutes.

Anyone have suggestions for preventing a disaster? Is there a way of treating a real egg beforehand to make its shell stronger? Or do I just trust to the gods?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Put an egg into a small ziplock bag and walk around with it in your pocket until you gain confidence. Then work on the trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, after such an incident, I switched to a container on my table with a wand sticking up from the container. Depending on your arrangement of props, and your table or working case, a simple small bag attached to the inside wall will also work.

The only other more safer ways to present the trick is the the Vernet version or the Zimmerman version of the trick.

No there is not way to make the shell of an egg stronger, that is the chicken farm's job to feed proper nutritional foods to the chickens to produce this natural product.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I use this container...

http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-812A......item.htm

It stays in my case (opened with the dupilicate silk wrapped around it) which stays onstage the entire time like this...

When it comes time to do the effect, I literally grab it out of the case and put it in my pocket. Outro music from the previous effect is playing at this time, and the audience is applauding (hopefully), plus my case on the tray jack provides cover, so the load goes unoticed. I literally grab everything and shove it right in my pocket. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I do the same as Aaron, even if they see you doing this its no big deal. I had someone say once, hey I saw you put that fake egg in your pocket, where did the real egg come from Smile after that I knew there was no need to worry about that and focus more on the presentation.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I remember ringing the doorbell, patting my pockets to make sure where my keys were, feeling the egg break and running 10 feet while using my hand to scoop the broken egg out of my jacket pocket and into the bushes.

The door opens and the customer extended his hand to shake hands, So I said I just needed to make sure I was at the right house and I'd be right back with some equipment.

Then I cleaned my hand at my car (and did the best I could with my pocket) then realised I was doing strolling and didn't have extra equipment. So I opened the side gate and went in the back door in the hopes that I wouldn't run-into the customer immediately.

Even after dry cleaning the jacket, the pocket was stiff for a few months.

Yes, Take some kind of container.

- - -- -

One time we showed-up at a location and no one had an egg so I asked a lady, who was walking through the area, if she ever thought about being in show business. She said "Yes... When I was much younger". I told her to go home, get an egg, come back and I'd make her dream come true.

She got to walk on the stage with the glass, No one at the venue could figure out why a 70 year old woman, not wearing a costume, walked on stage holding a glass. But we got our egg and I made her dream come true.
mikethemagician
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of mikethemagician
Usually the smaller the egg the harder it is to break.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
You also can think about an old version of a steal:
A small split in in the side of your pants, with a
small pocket behind it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 09:10, john wills wrote:
You also can think about an old version of a steal:
A small split in in the side of your pants, with a
small pocket behind it.

The egg still may break in such a pocket, that is what the original poster was asking about, a way to prevent breaking his egg. Not how to procure it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Prior to going out on stage, I keep the eggs inside plastic Easter eggs! Try it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Make sure that the plastic Easter egg is large enough closed to hold the real egg.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Bob, it's not what happens BEFORE going out on stage that I'm worried about! (But I am considering using a plastic easter egg to protect the real egg all the time it's in my pocket, including up to the moment of my producing it.)

Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can buy egg holders in camping stores.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
One sure way to prevent from breaking an egg in your pocket? Do not sit down...

I have never had the unfortunate instance of breaking an egg in a pocket or case myself. When I have done this on stage, I had a special little padded cloth servante/cup of sorts in a case that stayed upright (I made it myself), and its sole purpose was holding the real egg to protect it and the other props in the case (although for its size and shape, is useful for other things too) should it happen to break. In all the times I have utilized it, the egg has never broken. One can also utilize a billiard ball holder that is either, 1) sized for smaller billiards, or 2) a normal ball holder adjusted to hold the egg. These are quite secure (more than you think), but you should only use these if you are sure you will not be sitting down on it or bumping into things that would cause the egg to get squished. I used the billiard holders to hold the real eggs when I was doing Paper to Egg effects.

Jay - love the story about the lady and being in show business. What a great way to showcase a person and make them feel truly unique and special!

I also love the above suggestion about using plastic easter eggs to store the real ones - a novel idea! I would dare say you should just be sure that the plastic egg seals well, and come to think of it, I think I remember seeing plastic eggs that have those little squeeze tabs that you have to put a little pressure on to open it.

@Bob - is there a particular/specific type that you use?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Kozak explained this in his video by the Society of Magician DVDs. At Easter time, just buy the plastic eggs they sell for putting goodies in them for the kids. The do come is different sizes. Most of these have a hinge on them now, as a matter of fact, it is harder to find the 2 separate halves kind, lately.

The only draw back to this is you must find an egg that fits in the plastic egg.

It is a simple matter to just push with the thumb in your pocket to open the plastic egg and obtain the real egg.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 02:20, marknem7 wrote:
Bob, it's not what happens BEFORE going out on stage that I'm worried about! (But I am considering using a plastic easter egg to protect the real egg all the time it's in my pocket, including up to the moment of my producing it.)

Thanks.

Since I started putting the egg in my pocket right at the beginning of the routine, I have never, ever had an issue with it breaking during the performance. I used to put the egg in my pocket at the beginning of the show, and I never had a problem with that either. I just decided better safe than sorry.

The only time I had an egg break was when I put an egg in my pocket earlier in the day prior to a show. I really wouldn't worry about it having it in your pocket for a few minutes. By having the egg case, I keep extra eggs so in the off chance it breaks, I can grab another one on the offbeat. But again, I have never had to do that. When you start doing the trick, I think you'll realize that you'll be fine and you're worrying too much. Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is always a 1st time for everything. I performed the Silk to Egg routine countless times, it was a feature trick. On one occasion I was doing a Yogi Bear Camp Ground show in the Pavilion. As always I put the egg in just before performing, it was the last thing I did in preparation.

During the show, while presenting the trick, I reached into my pocket and all I felt was egg goo, I broke out in laughter, and the audience did not know why. So the routine became the simple silk to egg trick.

I can happen at the most unexpected time. Never say, never.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Marknem7,
Yes, there is a way to make them stronger-a lot stronger. Paint them. I had to do this when I moved to Europe-couldn't find white eggs, and had a white gimmick. I used simple modeling paint. Worked like a charm. Dries quickly, and man is that shell strong! You gotta really knock it on the edge of the glass to break it.
Damian
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
If you choose to use the pocket-carrying method, put the egg in a double Zip Loc (one bag inside another, or just use one of the thicker bags) and put it in your pocket. If it does break, the bag will get messy, but your pocket will not.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 23:08, Bob Sanders wrote:
Prior to going out on stage, I keep the eggs inside plastic Easter eggs! Try it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Make sure that the plastic Easter egg is large enough closed to hold the real egg.

This is funny Bob. Two others posted the same thing you did.
Incidentally, this is the best solution. I actually made a road-case for three eggs and the gimmick which made me look like a mad scientist but I'm using the Eeggs from now on.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-13 19:56, jay leslie wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 23:08, Bob Sanders wrote:

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

This is funny Bob. Two others posted the same thing you did.
Incidentally, this is the best solution. I actually made a road-case for three eggs and the gimmick which made me look like a mad scientist but I'm using the Eeggs from now on.

Jay, Bob suggest a carrier, the other posts are about the plastic individual plastic Easter eggs. That how I interpreted his post. The plastic egg will only hold one egg.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Silk in Egg Query (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL