The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Cubes by Caramba Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2663 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I saw this on Hocus-Pocus site. It s a cubre libre effect using only one tube. It has slates in the front to write down numbers chosen by the spectators and the numbers appear in that order as a finale. What do yo think of using one tube and set of numbers instead of the usual three and of the slates idea? Seems like it might be easier to handle and use as well as to carry. The price is $395.00.

Based on an original idea of English magician P. T. (Percy) Selbit, and further developed by the renowned German magician Conradi, this effect leaves a distinct imprint on the minds of any who witness it.

First conceived by P.T. Selbit in the early Twentieth Century, it is often called The Selbit Blocks and was introduced to the magic fraternity under the name Bewildering Blocks in London in 1906. Later, Conradi developed a version in Germany, which he advertised in 1907, so it was sometimes referred at as the "Conradi Blocks".

Known over the years by a variety of names including:, "Selbeit Blocks", "Conradi Blocks", "Bewildering Blocks", "Magic Bricks" and most recently "Cube-Libre", this effect appeals to more sophisticated audiences and will have them talking for DAYS afterwards. In fact, Bob Sheets and other noted performers swear by "the blocks" and feature them with great regularity in their programs.

Spanish magician Oscar Rui of Caramba Magic has formulated his own handling of a true classic. Rui's routine utilizes just ONE tube versus the customary two, and uses FOUR blocks rather than six. Although they look like part of the design, the black circles on the front of the tube are actually slate pieces allowing you to manually write numbers on them.

The basic effect starts with four numbered blocks being displayed, then restacked into a different numeric order, covered, then quickly uncovered revealing that they've returned to their ORIGINAL stacked order. It's a visual powerhouse!

The premise of this effect is simple-to-follow, yet completely mind-bending to onlookers!

As the routine progresses, four distinct block transpositions occur. For the final kicker finish, the audience is invited to call out numbers (1 through 4) in order to create a four-digit number. This four-digit number is written from top to bottom on the slate circles on the tube's front panel. Next, the blocks are stacked in a DIFFERENT four-digit number configuration than the number just created by the spectators.

For the finale, the blocks are covered, and after a brief moment, the cover is removed revealing that the blocks have rearranged themselves into the EXACT 4-DIGIT NUMBER that was randomly created by the audience just moments ago!

Remember, the sequence of numbers written on the black circles is FREELY CHOSEN by the audience members.

If you've ever seen this trick performed, you know how strong of an effect this can be. Oscar Rui's routine and handling is exceedingly straightforward and well thought out. The fact that the audience members get to select the order of the last four numbers makes for a VERY STRONG FINISH!

Fabricated in high-quality lacquered wood, all cubes and gimmicks have been meticulously calibrated to ensure flawless operation.

Comes complete with BOTH written instructions and instructional DVD.

An awesme routine and a really GREAT trick expertly crafted by Oscar Rui of Caramba Magic in Spain.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
I got mine yesterday from Hocuc Pocus. Couldn't wait to open the box when I got home from work.

Excellent detail to manufacturing of the product. It did look bigger to me on the video but still big enough to perform for large number of people. It stands about 11 inches tall and somehow I thought it was taller from the vid. But that just makes it easier to transport.
That last part of the routine where the audience pick out the number sequence and the boxes match is the cream on top. No awkward fidgeting with your hands.

Am curious if any others here have purchased it too?
rhettbryson
View Profile
Veteran user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
326 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I had what I belie3ve to have been the first one of these in the USA (Purchased from Oscar directly from Spain.) I think the effect is fabulous and the construction is second to NONE of the similar effects. The routine with the balckboard finish gets superb reactions. I love it!
illusion123
View Profile
New user
Wolverhampton, England
79 Posts

Profile of illusion123
Just received Cubes and I am very pleased with it. Will now have to spend some getting the sequence of moves without thinking about it too much. I used to have a very heavy version of this using two tubes years ago and never used it.I am sure once I've got the handling of this I will use it as it is more portable. I would also like to use this in my kids shows as long the audience are sitting in the correct place (in front of me). In some of these village halls the parents tend to sit anywhere, behind and directly at the side. So you have to be aware of your performance position with this one, but it should be common sense at the end of the day.

This is truly a great classic effect with I will enjoy performing.

Chris Wild
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
700 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Just got this, AWESOME! Top notch workmanship and a great killer ending! Can not wait to start performing it! Can't believe there haven't been any other reviews on this!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
920 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Cubes! arrived from Spain today and I am so impressed with the superb quality of this item! The props are sturdy, beautifully made, and work very smoothly. With care, they should last a lifetime.

Cubes! (available in both left- and right-handed versions) comes with four pages of printed instructions and an instructional DVD. These explain Oscar Rui's standard routine (which I've seen Oscar perform up-close at conventions). The Caramba website also now features a video of a more elaborate routine by Kayto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbQ_1is8-w

I love Kayto's presentation but, unfortunately, it is not taught in the instructions. However, I have just spent a couple of hours deconstructing the routine, and can now appreciate even more just how brilliant it is! It does require some additional mental work and care in the final phase (where spectators decide the required order of the cubes) but, with practice, this should be fairly straightforward.

I have always been a fan of the Bewildering Blocks, but have felt that the two-tube and/or six-block presentations can be too confusing for the audience, and that this tends to detract from what is one of the cleanest and most mysterious effects in all magic. Oscar's one-tube, four-cube approach is perfect in my opinion.

Very, very highly recommended. I'd give Cubes! 95% (it would be 100% if it came with an explanation of Kayto's routine). It's not cheap, but real quality never is! Worth every penny and then some.

Mike
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
2742 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great post Michael. Thank you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
442 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Just got my set from Hocus Pocus. This is one of those purchases that you get your moneys worth right out of the box. The quality, feel and ease of use is excellent. The basic routine is quick, smooth, and has an astonishing finish. This is definitely in the show.

Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Cubes by Caramba Magic (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.236248 seconds, requiring 34 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [1] [3] [1] [0] [8] [5] [8]