The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Collecting Tenyo Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

macdaddy
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of macdaddy
I am just starting to get into collecting Tenyo magic tricks, and there are some really cool stuff out there.

* Since unopened items are more valuable, do people buy duplicates of all tricks?
* Are Japanese versions more valuable than the US versions?
* How does Tenyo decide when to discontinue an item? Is it based on sales?
* Is there a list of recommended shops in Tokyo to buy Tenyo? I will be visiting Japan this summer, so it would be nice to buy some stuff while I am there.
MagicZathuro
View Profile
New user
Germany
43 Posts

Profile of MagicZathuro
I just got some info on your last question. When I'm in Tokyo, I always visit Yodobashi (big electronic chain with a toy section, where you will find the Tenyo stuff) and Tokyu Hands (like a department store), but Yodobashi has the better prices and selection. You will also find a magic store in Disneyland (NOT Disney SEA!!!), that sells a lot of Tenyo, and you will also find the Disney Specials there.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Well from what I know ...

* Since unopened items are more valuable, do people buy duplicates of all tricks?
Some do, some don't. I do - I try to have one opened and one mint piece of the good tricks. Often I only have two opened versions (or only one version of the harder to find ones of course) wich is fine for me. Some Tenyo's, while good quality overall, tend to brake sooner or later (springs wair out, gimmick dislodges/brakes off, ...) and while this doesn't happen a lot, WHEN it happens it's always nice to have a spare. If you like a Tenyo trick and it is still available buy a second one if you can before the trick gets discontinued ... .

Not that I know of, sometimes even on the contrary (often English versions are discontinued while Japanese versions are still avialable).

*How does Tenyo decide when to discontinue an item? Is it based on sales?
This is mainly based on how many items are being sold in JAPAN - Tenyo focusses on Japan, and if the demand for an item over there is big enough they will do another production run. Also some items are more popular in Japan then in other countries, that is why we see tricks like Linking Rings or Thimbles still available in Japanese packaging. Take in mind magic is not Tenyo's main business, jigsaw puzzles are. Tenyo magic is available in supermarkets, airports, toystores - not really in magic shops. Tenyo's main target group are 'ordinary' people, NOT magicians or magic collectors Smile How many tricks are produced at one time and why a certain amount is produced is kind of a well kept secret it seems because no one really knows that here on the forum Smile

* Is there a list of recommended shops in Tokyo to buy Tenyo? I will be visiting Japan this summer, so it would be nice to buy some stuff while I am there.
I have no idea.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I second everything, especially #4! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Opened vs. unopened.

"Investors" buy & hold unopened.
"User/collectors" buy/hold/use their tricks.

So Killer is a user/investor. He does both.
I am a user/collector. I use what I collect.

Although sometimes these can overlap, as when you find a deal.

Good Luck.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-05-21 14:33, macdaddy wrote:
I am just starting to get into collecting Tenyo magic tricks, and there are some really cool stuff out there.

* How does Tenyo decide when to discontinue an item? Is it based on sales?

1.)From what I have read here and found out from other collectors/magicians, some buy two of each trick they like. One to perform with, and one as a backup and or for collecting sake.

2.)Depends on who you speak to. I found that many times, the English version is more expensive. Possibly because less are manufactured, and if you live in the US, you may prefer it. Though I am not saying it is a hard fact or that it applies to everyone. I have found a few times, sellers who approached me with items they wanted to sell, pushed whatever items they wanted to dump as the rarer or more desirable of the two versions.

3.)I am guessing sales and profit factors in to that answer.

4.)As I have never been to Japan I do not know. As other members have stated, Tenyo is sold all over the place there.
macdaddy
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of macdaddy
Thanks for all of the replies - very useful info! Are there many fake Tenyo items on the market? Is there an easy way to tell fake from real? Are there "authorized" online Tenyo dealers?
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Unfortunately, yes and yes.

Check other threads here about Tenyo, including, Four Nightmare Dx and Illusion Scale to start.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
There is a site listing fake magic tricks and crediting the original inventors.....can't remember where to find it though, but I remember one of the items there was Angelo's "Out Of Order". Since he's reading these threads he may be more able than me to link this site.

Additionally, why not add our finds from the thread that'sCool mentioned to that listing site?
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Nicolino:

I believe you are refering to Tim Ellis's Magic Fakers site...

http://magicfakers.blogspot.com/2007/10/......ers.html
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Yes, this pretty much loks like what I was remembering....plus it really has OOO on it!
Thanks, John!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Good Article on Tenyo Fakes on Killer Tweety Site http://www.tenyo.be
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... apparently the Grand Finale had an expiry date <g>.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Be careful Talbot, it may be another illusion.

You don't want to be the sucker in the sucker trick again do you?

That was so funny and so perfect. Thanks again. HA HA HA

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=258&13
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... I can hear something but cannot see anything
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There IS a Tenyo counter in Tokyo DisneySEA in the Agrabah Marketplace. They have a smaller selection than the Tokyo Disneyland Magic Shop, however there is a demonstrator and they often have items that are exclusively made for and sold at DisneySEA. For example, there was an entire line of Tenyo tricks packaged specifically with the genie from Aladdin and sold only at DisneySEA.
MagicZathuro
View Profile
New user
Germany
43 Posts

Profile of MagicZathuro
Good to know, thank you for that info.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2012-05-22 12:18, J M Talbot wrote:
... apparently the Grand Finale had an expiry date <g>.

John, you probably meant "apparently the Grand Encore had an expiry date" Smile
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Simone,

I do not understand why you continue to make comments regarding me. I don't know you and you don't know me.

I have no problem with engaging people who have a problem with me, but since you are a girl I rather not get into it with you.

Maybe we can leave it at that.

AA
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
AA,
I'm just a bit surprised that after your "big announcement", you didn't make your comeback under another name... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Collecting Tenyo Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL