The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Card control technique? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicmagician83
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Magicmagician83
I work at the local Renaissance Festival and last season had a VERY rude heckler who would not let me do a trick without calling out some kind of technique. The biggest thing that bothered me was I told him to place his selected card in the deck and he said, "Why do I have to put it there? Why can't I put it anywhere I want?"

I am looking for a way to control a selected card to the top, second form the top, bottom, or second from the bottom, after the spectator inserts the card themselves into the deck at any point they want. I would love it if they can push it all the way in but that might be like finding the Holy Grail. Any help woul dbe appreciated.

-Christopher
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-05-22 01:52, Magicmagician83 wrote:
I work at the local Renaissance Festival and last season had a VERY rude heckler who would not let me do a trick without calling out some kind of technique. The biggest thing that bothered me was I told him to place his selected card in the deck and he said, "Why do I have to put it there? Why can't I put it anywhere I want?"

I am looking for a way to control a selected card to the top, second form the top, bottom, or second from the bottom, after the spectator inserts the card themselves into the deck at any point they want. I would love it if they can push it all the way in but that might be like finding the Holy Grail. Any help woul dbe appreciated.

-Christopher

Welcome to "The Grail":

Paul LePaul's automatic jog control. They can place the card anywhere in the deck and push it flush. It's under your complete control.

I'm also a mentalist. You want to know where to learn it, correct?

"The Card Magic of Le Paul", page 101.

Enjoy your journey!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
In addition to Zombiemagic's excellent suggestion, also remember some very basic techniques such as impromptu shorts and c****s for instance. Also, and this may seem obvious, you do need to read your participant. Even the greatest technical skills are IMHO only half of the equation and it is YOU that is in charge. Gary Ouellet wrote a great essay that states that the close up mat or close up working conditions are no different than a stage. Just as actors and other stage performers control that physical space, so to should close-up workers. Please understand that I hasten to add that I do mean to sound like I am lecturing you - I am not. But I come from a number of different perspectives that many magicians do not posses: I am trained as an actor, I am a professional musician, and of course a magician. Also I have worked the "tech" side of live theater as well. The performing space is mine and is only crossed if I allow it but even then there still remains a boundary.

Back to controls, there is a similar tabled version of LePaul's technique in Apocalypse. I forget the creator's name ATM but it is a push together control where the selection can be placed anywhere and the spread is pushed together yet the card is under YOUR control. I will look it up for you. But if you have the "red" Apocalypse volume, you can find it pretty easily.

Marlo's Convincing Control also meets your criteria. Daryl's work on it is simply fantastic. One other gem comes from The Café's own "Doomo" (Tony Miller). It's called "The Miller Variable Placement." It can be found in Earl Nelson's book Variations Revisited. This control allows the return of the card anywhere you need it to be and there is NO manipulation of the cards after the return. It's a beautiful control and really not that difficult in terms of attaining proficiency. Tony is a good guy and I wager if you shoot him a PM he may have additional sources on his excellent move.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...and as an addition to the excellent remarks above from Vlad and Zombie, take the advice from Steven Youell: always p**k/gl**pse the card! Steven teaches a great way to do the p**k, very versatile and deceptive. Or I like Harry Loraynes Super P**k from Quantum Leaps (now TCC III, pp.49). That fit your demands quite closely, you can let the spectator stick back his card where he wants to, you close the fan and know the chosen card. So it doesn´t matter if he is heckler, you could let him shuffle the cards and with one cull you have the card where you want it to be. Or lately I found in The Hierophant some p**k techniques that allow you to peek the card and to place it in a known position in the middle of the deck, I believe it were some Marlo techniques, superb and very deceptive too.
Hope it helped.

All the best,
Axel
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Learn to force a card and you can let these type of spectators inset the card and shuffle it themselves.
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
How about using a marked deck....they can shuffle...anyone can shuffle....and you will always know what their card choice.

Joe
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
Sounds like only a c***p would work.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
How abolut moving on to another spectator,,,,,,,,
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
Well perhaps you should complete one effect for that spectator, so you don't appear to be moving away on purpose, but yeah that'd work too.
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Learn the diagonal palm-shift and the spectator can put the card in anywhere he wants and then immediately shuffle the deck, but you still have the card completely under control.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Hand him the deck, let him put his card back wherever he wants, and let him shuffle. As he shuffles the cards, take out a rope, and do a rope trick.

Insist that he continue to shuffle. Then, do the linking rings.

Keep checking back with him. Make sure that he keeps shuffling the cards. Then, perform the cups and balls.

Finally, come back to him, retrieve the deck, and ask, "Is there ANY WAY I could know where your card is located?" He will say, "NO!" Then say, "You're right!" Go up to another person and say, "Kindly select a card...." Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2012-05-22 12:42, BarryFernelius wrote:
Hand him the deck, let him put his card back wherever he wants, and let him shuffle. As he shuffles the cards, take out a rope, and do a rope trick.

Keep checking back with him. Make sure that he keeps shuffling the cards. Then, perform the cups and balls.

Finally, come back to him, retrieve the deck, and ask, "Is there ANY WAY I could know where your card is located?" He will say, "NO!" Then say, "You're right!" Go up to another person and say, "Kindly select a card...." Smile

Great stuff,and although I advocate technique/outs very strongly,as I get older I find iv less patience for those who refuse to "play ball"
Ok,some people can be genuine and sincere about there desire to "place the card anywhere themselves",and they may even have valid points,but,there are very few situations where you HAVE to carry on,no matter what.
For what its worth,what I would do is essentially what Barry advocates above,ie,move on to someone who isn't a pain!! Make light of it,and move on.Lifes to short....
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:

I like it. Smile Smile Smile
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Let him shuffle, cull , force and let him put the card where he want.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
With the side steal and the convincing control in your arsenal, keeping the same basic external reality, you can accomplish exactly what you asked for. In fact, if my first card trick involves picking a card, I'll spread the deck wide between my hands and say: "Put it back wherever you like". Then if I need it on top, I side steal it or pass it there. If at the bottom, convincing control is your guy. Both techniques can be adapted to go second from top or bottom. This tends to avoid any subsequent complaints about whatever card-returning procedure I ask spectators to follow, since you've already satisfied their most stringent condition.

You will find that you can have the deck spread between your hands, and even if they stick the card completely in, you can still keep visual track of where the card is, and in the action of closing the deck, take whatever break you need. Try it!

Cheers,
Luigi
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Quote:

haha - a work of genius Barry!!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Side steal, automatic jog control, convincing control, cr**p, p**k...all are great ideas. Let me add just one more in my arsenal that I use from time to time: c*ll keycard placement. You can do it with one of the top cards or the bottom card and just place it above the spectator's card when they return it to the spread. If you failed to get a peek before, you can now turn the deck over and spread as you explain that you could have no idea as the cards are mixed, etc. and discern the card at that moment...reveal as you like. Smile
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
You work at a Renaissance Festival, as a magician??

I don't want to be rude, as that's not my goal...however, why are you working as a magician (if that's the case) not knowing how to handle very simple situations such as the one you posted?

Im not sure why nobody else that responded had the same concerns as mine. If you are working as a magician (I really don't know) I would suggest that perhaps you...

1) get a bit more experience under your belt before doing card work as a magician before being paid.
2) get more ability to adapt to normal human situations (hecklers, drunks, jerks) before getting paid to perform.

I am working on mentalism at the moment and I have done dozens and dozens of free shows with the booker knowing that Im using his venue as a platform to polish my act. I cant even consider the idea of getting paid before I can answer the simple questions that would arise in any performing arena.

Billy

p.s. If its just cards that arent your thing and perhaps you are an illusionist/juggler then I apologize for my rant..yet many aspects still hold true.
eostresh
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of eostresh
Quote:
On 2012-05-22 12:35, hofzinser wrote:
Learn the diagonal palm-shift and the spectator can put the card in anywhere he wants and then immediately shuffle the deck, but you still have the card completely under control.

This has my vote.
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Does the selection have to leave the pack??? I stopped removing the cards years ago to stop this from happening. I stick to key card replacement with a cr--p so the card is shown to go cleanly into the pack. Or you can cull your Cr--p card under the spead and load it above his card id if you need it to be removed.

Frankly not removing the card just keeps the flow going better in my opinion.

Ryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Card control technique? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL