The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Second from the top Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Derek Dingle and Paul Harris seem to think a Triumph with an odd backed card is worth creating.

Then again, I know Paul Harris had a compelling way to frame it as a more than just an effect where the selected card changes not or turns out to be different color...
Ruairidh
View Profile
Regular user
London
200 Posts

Profile of Ruairidh
I think if you are going to add a colour changing element to a triumph routine, go with the whole deck changing colour except for their card, rather than the other way round...much more impressive.

Still, don't think either is an improvement over a triumph done normally.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 14:13, Ruairidh wrote:

Well, I'm of that opinion too. I think a lot of Cardguys put things like this in because THEY like it, not because the audience likes it. Having said that though, I don't have a problem with people doing it. Sometimes pure creativity is the the end goal for guys. It's what they get out of Sleight of Hand. And that creativity can help everyone.

SEY
jibgilmon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jibgilmon
In regards to the previous comments, when I do a regular Triumph, I don't force a card, nor do I ask them to sign it. I only ask for the sign when I do this effect, which would have to be forced.

The effect isn't intended to replace Triumph in my routines, it is meant to be a completely different trick, that I would decided which to use based on the given circumstances. It isn't something I would do in a restaurant, because if someone at another table sees another group signing the card, then they will expect to sign as well.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 14:13, Ruairidh wrote:
I think if you are going to add a colour changing element to a triumph routine, go with the whole deck changing colour except for their card, rather than the other way round...much more impressive.

I absolutely concur with this. It's the approach Harris took.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 05:07, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-23 21:45, tomsk192 wrote:
Who regularly does Triumph in a working environment?

Me. When I worked in the Castle, I did it in nearly every set.
But with different presentations. Same sleights. Just different words.

SEY

Makes sense, it is a very powerful piece. I was interested in the worker perspective, because I also felt it kicks hard enough without any additional frippery.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I can imagine the additional kicker (color changing back) can astonish audience, but I believe it decreases the effectiveness of Triumph effect.

I remember Maskelyn cautioned about "double climax".

However, I think there are some other tricks in which color changing kicker works very well. For example, I am struggling if this kicker ending works well in Ambitious routine.

Hideo Kato
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
If I was going to force an odd backed card for triumph,i would finish the triumph without showing the odd back to get the most out of triumph.
Then say you will repeat it(using another of many methods).

This time when the deck is spread all the cards are face down,with one odd backed card seen in the center.
Pause and dramatically turn over the the now odd backed signed card.
So the spectator goes from WOW that's my card,to NO WAY that's my card!?!?
But it is!
Seems to me,this would make the color change a much more powerful moment.

Just thinking how I might handle it,but of course,to each his own.

If you know color stunner from Paul Harris,you could simply place the double face down in the center of the face up deck holding a break above them and do that handling displacing the signed card in the center(up the ladder) and leaving the cover card where it is,then flip the deck but don't spread the last few cards(no need for side jogging if that helps).

Best to you and your audience,

S
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Good idea!

Hideo Kato
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Yeah, now that's good.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
jibgilmon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jibgilmon
Okidoki, here's the routine now:

Top card is double-backed blue, second card is forced red-backed card. Perform triumph normally, place face up cards beneath second card from the top. Correct order, spread the deck, they see their signed card face up. Wait for things to settle, cut the deck above the face up card and put that pile on top, so the double backed card is beneath the signed card. Next step has two options:

1. Double turnover, leaving the selected card second from the top with double back on top. Push forward both cards as a double, and pull back the top card as the deck is tilted upward to show the face. Grab the card, put it in the middle of the deck in front of their eyes and spread to reveal it has changed it's back.

OR

2 (My preferred method). Just grab the face up selected card from the top of the deck, and do Vernon's tilt to place it FACE UP second from the top. Double lift, Shapeshifter change to say that your card desires to be different, and so it has changed it's color. Place cards down (double backed beneath, leaving you clean. Turn over red card to reveal that it is indeed their signed card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Second from the top Triumph (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL