The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Mentalism Course from Nick Kolenda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Nick Kolenda
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nick Kolenda
Hey guys,

Thank you for the advice. Looking back, I wish I named the product something different to avoid those misconceptions. I will start to think of alternative names for the offering, but it may take a while to change all instances of the name "The Mentalism Course."

I would also like to clarify that this offering is not intended for beginners. It is mainly intended for performers who already have a knowledgeable background in magic and mentalism. I never intended to include any material on fundamental principles and mechanics of mentalism (such as those found in Corinda's 13 Steps). I'm starting to realize more and more that the title, "The Mentalism Course," may have lead to that misperception. However, my main goal in creating this product was to focus on the three main aspects that are described on the website (i.e., Showmanship, Marketing, and Stage Routines).

P.S. I went to PM you, Bob, but I was unable to do so.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In an above post Parmenion suggested that the author Nick should have someone non-associated with him, his friends or associates, or perhaps someone here review this course. I offered, and will post my review soon.

As I’ve stated earlier, there has been so much junk, and questionable or simply poor materials being released, this course has been questioned since it’s release. There seems to be a trend of younger guys with minimal performing experience (even though they’ve all been doing magic since the age of 7), and even less experience as a author or creator, which is part of this ongoing problem of sub-par materials. Especially with Mentalsim, and even moreso with Hypnosis. It is for this reason I too had great skepticism about this course upon hearing about it. Then add in his newbie status here with less than 10 posts, the fact that he is promoting something here in his first few posts, and that we know little or nothing about him, all raises bright red flags. Then you add in Davit Sicseek’s posts and findings, and even more signs of shady or “rip-off” start to standout.

Then as Bob Cassidy and others have pointed out, the name of the course leads on to a certain belief or perception, intentionally or not, that this is somehow the definitive master course, THE course on Mentalism. This alone would lead one to have extremely high expectations of this. Perhaps this title would be more appropriate if written by Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, Banacheck, Corinda,, Dunninger or others, but not an unknown.

While I have been asked to review many products lately, I do not accept everything I’m asked, as I respectfully decline anything that I feel is not my forte, or that I feel I’m either not really qualified to review, that is not my type or style of performing, or that I simply have no interest in, as I want to remain objective and honest.

When asked to review this I explained I would give my honest review, good or bad, like it or not. Nick, the author was respectfully perfectly fine with that, so I agreed. The other main reason I agreed is that he (author) has been very forthcoming in the allegations and question posed in this thread. He wasn’t angry, flaming, hostile, or defensive. He wasn’t hiding or hiding behind others speaking on his behalf in an attempt to give himself credibility. I’ve been involved with other threads here were this type of exchange wasn’t only harmful to the product but the creator, as well as their professional image. Nick has stood up, addressed his accusers and tried to explain his works. I liked that, so that was one of my deciding factors as well.

I will try to post my review later today.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
(NOTE: Long Post Warning - If you just want my quick review, scroll to the bottom for my Final Thoughts & Overall Review)

MY THOUGHTS

Upon downloading the course I received a 404 Error Message in my browser, yet my download manager showed something was downloading. It took about 3 minutes (2:56). while downloading this the 404 Error message remained in my browser. Weird, but it downloaded fine. The length of the download was due I’m sure to the actual amount of content.

This is packaged as a course. My first thought upon receiving this course was Holy Crap! there is a lot here. Well over 600 pages in pure content, plus hours of audio and video footage. So much content, before any of the questionable Additional Bonuses.

In reality it is a complete book or manual by Nick, 5 nice routines with very detailed explanations, and nice videos of each routine as featured in two of Nick’s full-length performances. The rest of the content that makes up this course are contributions from others and related bonus materials.

The course is broken down into 4 main Sections - Showmanship (your show), Marketing, Routines and Bonuses.

The main course in Section 1 is 425 pages in length (pdf). It was written from a very academic and educational approach which was quite nice. It was very easy to read, understand and digest. Very well laid-out.

First your approach to Mentalism and your show. This section stimulates a great deal of food for thought on how to exactly approach, create, write, adapt (works of others), stage, and execute your show from initial ideas and concepts to the stage performance. He challenges you to take a look at your show (if you currently have one) and carefully examine every detail in your show, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant it may appear. This really offers perspective. For those who do not yet have a show, it is a great basis and foundation on how to formulate or create your show. Very well explained and helpful on many levels.

There are many valuable ideas and approaches to create, tighten, and execute a smooth, congruent flow to your show and complete overall performance.

This was laid out as a journey from the very initial concept, ideas and thought process of becoming a Mentalist, creating your persona or character, creating and structuring your show with choices and decisions congruent with your persona, decided abilities and approach to Mentalism, and disclaimers, to designing, scripting, blocking, rehearsing and ultimately performing your show, with many other elements in between (including structuring, scripting, rehearsing, preparing for your show, appearance, opening effects, middle effects, closing effects, building and multiple climaxes, audience analyzation and management, rapport, hecklers, as well as equipment, microphones and sound systems, and much more). Very thorough, with great insight and perspective, especially from someone so young and with only minimal years of primary performing experience at this level. I agreed with his perspective that most Mentalists (and other performers) create their show backwards, which often leads to problems, inconsistencies, and conflicts in their performances and character. Very interesting theory and perspective.

As a subtext to this course, Nick exposes us to, and takes us on his journey from beginning performer to his headlining performances at colleges, as seen on the videos included in this course. It’s a very good example of how to evolve as a Mentalist from a newbie or beginner, to a performer confident in their persona, style, choice of performance material & abilities, as a working Mentalist performer.

One of the things that I see is that many writers or performers tend to only think from our (the performer’s) perspective. Nick offers precise thinking throughout the entire course on both the audience’s perspectives AND the performer’s perspectives. This I feel is extremely important and valuable, and a highlight of this material throughout. This is especially valuable to younger or newer performers, especially Magicians attempting to approach Mentalism.

One thing missing that was only minimally referred to or mentioned was with regard to the many distinctive mentalities, approaches, beliefs and perceptions with regard to Mentalism vs. Magic. I feel a better understanding and explanation or elaboration of this early in the content would have been valuable. I do know he didn’t want to create a debate, and select or force sides, but to Magician’s who typically have trouble with this, more on this would have been valuable. It also helps knowing this to properly understand expectations and perception of an audience viewing Mentalism.

Let me also say here, I did not care for how he refers to his Mentalism as “Magic”, which I guess is a personal peeve of mine. I’m a believer that Mentalism should stand on it’s own, with it’s own set of beliefs and perceptions and should intentionally be as far removed from Magic as possible, for both the good of the performer as well as the audience. Again, just my belief.

While this material is geared towards and appeals to Mentalists, the core content can really be applied to most other types of performers - Speakers, Comedians, Magicians, Jugglers, Novelty Entertainers, Kids Party Entertainers, etc. I could see it working for strolling or close-up, although the perspective in the course and the accompanying videos are all from the stage perspective, which I really enjoyed.
Throughout the material Nick does a great job crediting others and the influence on this project.

Some of the additional and bonus material was quite academic and written like a college thesis, dissertation or essay, but well created, very clear and concise but a bit harder read.

I must say, I enjoyed his perspectives. Mostly unbiased, yet offers his insight, opinions and reasoning for his choices in his performance, most of which I also would agree with. Many will benefit from this.

This material is designed to be used by the performer, not the armchair Mentalist with ideas and theories, this is for the real-world worker or those serious about creating a sellable, live performance. This material will hit you directly and you will automatically think about how it pertains to you and your performance. In this respect I kept thinking how this read was much like Ken Weber’s Maximum Entertainment. It will really get you thinking about your show with perspective.

The amount of material and details is vast. The author’s perspectives offer great ideas, thinking and insights from “stimulating yourself in the shower”, to assuming responsibility for every detail in your show.

Not a lot of fluff, it was written to convey his points without any padding or filler.

ROUTINES

Nick includes the routines used as they appear (word for word) in his actual show. I must say some great thought and details have gone into his thinking and the creation of these routines. Most of the routines are based on existing concepts, methods and ideas (who’s aren’t), yet with some original application, ideas and creation. I know several of the routines will be serious considerations for purchaser’s performances. They are very strong commercial, fun routines, that are created and designed to serve a specific (and well explained) purpose in his show. I must say I really liked his thinking, creation and presentation of these routines. Some great adaptations and applications. Well done.

The routines all offer in individual breakdowns in the absolute most detail, which was great. Then the routines were also offered in the video performances so you could see them in action rather than just trying to imagine them.

VIDEOS

I enjoyed the performance videos that were from full live college shows. No staged takes, retakes, but actual live performance footage. This was probably the most personal as you got to see and know Nick, see him perform and apply the materials he presents in the course, and see how it all culminates in his actual performance. It ties it all together. I like that one of the shows was taped from two different angles, straight-on, wide angle full shot, and also a mobile up close angle and perspective (although I do wish the close-up camera was on a tripod rather than handheld). This was very helpful and beneficial and one of the highlights of the program.

It shows Nick’s level of performance, his confidence and comfort as a performer, and also his youth (not necessarily in a bad way). You see real audience spectators, and real audience reactions. A very nice addition and strong component of the course, both from an education perspective and from an entertainment perspective. You see him talking the talk, and walking the walk.

I would have loved to have seen some more alternate and additional performances of all the routines for comparison purposes and a better understanding and different perspectives.

MARKETING

There is some useful valuable material here too. Is there anything new or earth-shattering here? No. Most of the Marketing things are well-known to working professionals, but I am certain may not be to beginners, newbies, amateurs, part-timers or those who are seeking to perform professionally, for a living or “full-time”. Please don’t take this to say the material is poor, as it isn’t. It’s just if you are looking for some new, breakthrough, never before seen or heard of Marketing superstar idea, you will not find them here. I wouldn’t expect anyone to truly expect that here, but just in case you expect secret, never before heard of tactics for this minimal price, I just wanted to clarify to prevent any misunderstanding.

That said, the Café is filled with members asking basic questions about Search Engine Optimization, Adwords, Social Marketing, Facebook, Twitter, post-card marketing, and overall web marketing, you will find information on these topics included in the bonuses of this course. Some of the progress in these areas change or progress quickly, but for a good basic understanding of this area of marketing, I’m sure you will find some unknown and useful info here.

There could have been more, with examples of Nick’s personal marketing efforts and results. It would have been nice to also see samples of Nick’’s promotional and marketing materials, post-cards, etc., as we saw samples of his performances. There could have been more to make this as thorough as the Showmanship section, but then again, this could be a whole course on it’s own. I feel he thought between what he provided and the additional bonus marketing materials from others, that much was covered, which I understand. But there is some valuable marketing material here.

HYPNOSIS

As a certified and professionally trained Hypnotist I have many problems with Hypnosis for Magicians and Mentalists. Hypnosis utilizes a different skillset and performance approach all together. I don’t care how in the Magic community (and Mentalism), Hypnosis is considered part of magic. It isn’t. It has nothing to do with tricks, moves, gimmicks, deceptions, slights or illusions. While I can see how the affiliated connection the Magic communities applies, this is really not true, as Hypnosis is a completely different process, mentality and type of performance execution. So many more components and elements are at work. Yes, there are some Mentalists that if they take the time and commit to the education, understanding and training to learn it, can have it co-exist with their Mentalism, but this is the exception to the rule, and requires a commitment and understanding that most in Magic or Mentalism simply are not willing to do. This then leads to an entire sham of pseudo-hypnosis or Magic or Mentalism effects using a Hypnosis theme or facade. I despise this, so I won’t go there.

Nick does include hypnosis in this course (there is a basic Hypnosis resource in the Additional Bonus section), but oddly not in the written manual content, only in video performances. I’m not sure why, other than to show his other abilities that do make up the entire second half of his show. I think it will leave many questions in the mind of the readers, and not only is it not included, it really isn’t even addressed as to why it’s been omitted. Perhaps I’m putting to much emphasis on the hypnosis topic, but wonder why it was really included as part of this course, other perhaps than to establish his abilities.

Just as a quick review while we’re on the topic, Nick does show his entire hypnosis performance. While it played well, I think it represents what hypnosis is to the Magic and Mentalism community, from this perspective he did fine. From a Hypnosis community perspective I would have some slight difference in perspectives. I think Nick’s hypnosis approach is fine, but is representative of what stage hypnosis has become to the younger performers in today’s generation. It was good, fun and I’m sure will be interesting to many, and it was only a section of his show, but it’s more of a brief inclusion of hypnosis rather than as in-depth, detailed, and amazing as it could be.

BONUSES

This is the area that seemed to create the most controversy. I think Nick’s intention was to offer added-value and additional information from others, some of whom he respects and influenced him. Information he that thought would also be helpful and enhance his material and content. Sometimes you find information that was impactive or helpful to you, and rather than rewriting it to adapt to your perspectives, it may just be fine as it is and included as related material, a bonus that aligns with the offered material. That is what I think is at work here. Sure some of it may have been to create added value, but moreso as additional content that went well with his material.

With affiliate marketing programs and the Internet this is very common, but you have to pay for it. Here he simply obtained the rights and/or permission to include them in his release. I really feel there’s nothing more to it. No scandal, no hidden agenda, no intentional rip-off. While I can see how there could be a different perception, I feel this to be the reality.

OVERALL REVIEW & FINAL THOUGHTS

99% of the time I would not have high expectations for something from young or a virtually unknown performer, let alone publisher/author/creator. Most of the time this results in typical rehashed, basic content, from other’s previous published works. It may have been new to the author, but not to many others. This is really a refreshing exception to the rule. While much of the content I have come across in my nearly four decades in entertainment, this was nice to have an updated, all in one place resource. I wouldn’t at all call it rehashed material, but rather Nick’s perspective of perhaps some existing content and his personal education, with his additions, insight and personal experience and applications, which allows a fresh perspective and approach that should be useful and beneficial to anyone that reads this.

For many, this will be an eye-opening experience. The lightbulb may finally go off above your head. It will make you a better performer. It did not disappoint. Much better and more than I expected.

I’m not sure why Nick wrote this. Nick is young, proud and energetic and wanted to make his contribution in the industry. It is a culmination of his entertainment life experience so far, even at his young age. It didn’t seem to have an agenda, no negative or “I’m fed up with what’s out there” reasoning. There seems to be no need for notoriety or ego. Maybe it’s taking something he feel he knows and has been part of his life for a decade, and combining it with his major area of study which is Marketing, and together combined these two efforts into this release. But for whatever the reason his three year effort in this project is something that he should be proud of, and that it is something that should help fellow Mentalist performers, newer and established in their performance and business. I can see why Paul Romhany, Jim Snack, Craig Karges, Devin Knight and others spoke highly about this, as I agree it is a very useful, welcome addition to any performers resource library, filled with ideas and content you can use.

I feel Nick was a victim of poor initial marketing and first impression. He apologizes for self-creating the promotional web site, which to me wasn’t the problem, but rather it looked and felt like the common shady infomercial web sites similar to Killer Mentalism and other sites that offer that feel of “but wait, there’s more” type of add-on, bonuses and bonuses to created perceived value, only to tell you the value is $100,000 but you can get yours for only $19.95, and if you order today we’ll throw in a lifetime supply of Ginsu Knives and Sham-wow!

Regardless of what most gurus say (although they can be successful), this type of a web site is a turn off to many people. It seems to be representative of scam, shady, rip-off, etc. Unfortunately this affects the creator’s perception and perceived abilities, especially for an unknown. The problem is not about his abilities, it’s about the unfortunate format of the site and how it was perceived - the ever-important first impression and image of the product, the author, and content.

He covered Marketing in the course as it pertained to the Mentalists performance, but fell victim to the very same first impression perception in his marketing of this course. The marketing and content should be at the same level being consistent and congruent - it wasn’t.

This has been identified and brought to his attention and he seems to be working hard to correct this, and now hopefully put it in the proper light and perspective that this course proudly deserves.

VALUE

Forget about the value he originally showed on his web site. My value perception is that the 5 main routines are great, well detailed and concisely written and could easily sell for $25.00 each (more than likely he’d have buyers at $37 or even $47) for a minimum value of $125 just for the routines.

The book or manual to the course at over 400 pages of very good, practical useful content that I’m confident everyone that buys it will find several things at the absolute very least to use and apply, if not a complete transformation to your entire thinking and approach to your show, is easily valued at $49 if sold separately (if not $77 or even $97 as I’ve purchased others at these prices with far less usable content).

As a stage hypnotist I record and sell every one of my performances at a price of $25. He includes two shows in this course so a value of $50, for this is easily acceptable. As someone else pointed out it’s rare to find full-length, unedited actual show performances, so this is a value. Plus the entire second close-up footage (another at least $20 value).

The Marketing section does have some value in both audio programs and written content from Nick and others. Forget the resale rights or retail prices for some of the Marketing bonuses previously mentioned (although I do think many can still find some of the material in the bonuses helpful and of value), but the remainder of the material could easily be valued conservatively at $100 (if not double that if you figured actual retail costs of purchasing some of these resources and standard prices).

Several of the bonuses (other than the ones Davit mentioned) are quite similar to the essays of Chuck Hickok which regularly sell for $19.95 - $24.95 each, so even putting an absolute bare-bones minimum of say $40 on these would be a value. This does not include the value the purchaser may find in all of the additional resources.

Course Manual - $49
Routines - $125
Video $70
Marketing - $100
Bonuses - $40
Total Real Practical Value (based on my low end values) - $384

To me this would be a great value at $99, $139, $179, to some even higher.

I’m not sure how much performing experience Nick has. Nick is a well presented performer for his age. Is he a slick high-polished top level pro? No, (not yet, but could easily be) he never claimed to be, but he is decent well constructed performer, with obvious experience. He is comfortable on stage (at least in the college performances included) and is well-written expressing himself, his thoughts, beliefs and processes.

He practices what he preaches. He applies each and every item presented and offered in this manual, and explains why and how it works in his show. Nick’s youth also is evident in the Marketing sections of this book as it is obvious he is a Marketing student. Now, does this mean he has all of the answers and is a top marketer? No, of course not, as most at his college age have only minimal personal experience, and are eager to apply what they have studied into the real world.

I enjoyed it and think most here could find this helpful, useful and of value, not to mention the benefit of seeing another working performer’s thoughts and performances from the inside out.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mindpro, I read your review twice and want to thank you for giving us your professional critique. That took a great deal of time and thought and I greatly appreciate it!

I went to Nick's site and signed up to get a free sample form the book plus it's table of contents. It was auto sent and I look forward to reading it.

Nick's site:
http://www.TheMentalismCourse.com
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Sometimes I think people should actually look at what they are buying, it does say 'the' mentalism course when it probably shouldn't but look before you buy,
videos were offered to see the effects before you bought anything, you could see what you were getting, can't really have a go at someone for trying to proactively market a product, look how much crap people talk about their magic effects, the descriptions put on the site are really accurate,

still like all this stuff and should be performing some in a couple of weeks, building the jigsaw as I type!

anyone else have a review that paid for it or performed any of it?

it all works and the effects are as good as many out there
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Nick Kolenda
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nick Kolenda
Mindpro,

I can’t thank you enough for that extremely thorough review! I realize that there is a ton of information packed into the content, so to write such a thorough review must have taken a pretty hefty time commitment. I am very glad that you enjoyed everything, and I hope this review helps clear up some of the previous confusion.

I also just wanted to clarify the parts on hypnosis so that other people are not confused. I do not (and do not plan to) include content that teaches performers how to do hypnosis. If performers want to learn hypnosis, I always recommend that they receive professional training and certification.

And although I offer performance footage of a hypnosis show, I am more interested in the research and clinical aspects of hypnosis. In fact that hypnosis show was the first (and probably only) stage hypnosis show that I will ever perform. I chose to perform half mentalism and half hypnosis for that performance because I performed my mentalism show for that college the previous year. I didn’t want to perform the same show, and I had been too busy with school that I was not as polished on my other routines as I would have liked. I chose to include that hypnosis footage in the content mainly for entertainment purposes (and it also would not have been a “full show” if I excluded it).

Although it’s not mentioned on the website, I included a research paper that I wrote on hypnosis, which I plan to submit for publication in an academic journal. I examined the effects of hypnosis on potential working memory improvement. I included it in the content because I thought hypnosis performers may have found it interesting. Hope that clarifies the hypnosis content.

Again, thank you so much Mindpro. I have worked extremely hard to create quality content, so it means a lot to me that you appreciate the information.
Nick Kolenda
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nick Kolenda
I just want to shoot a friendly reminder that today is the last day to purchase the course at the discounted price. After today, the price will increase from $47 up to $97 (and now that most of the misconceptions have been cleared, the price may eventually move to the original planned price of $147).
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
I just want to shoot a friendly reminder that today is the last day to purchase the course at the discounted price. After today, the price will increase from $47 up to $97 (and now that most of the misconceptions have been cleared, the price may eventually move to the original planned price of $147).

Only "may" move to the original planned price?

Naughty naughty.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
velcrowe
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of velcrowe
Anyone end up grabbing this and want to weigh in?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I've had this for a while now and I'm still happy I got it!

the effects are really solid, nothing is hidden of waffly, the performances aren't the best performances I've ever seen but they are a real person performing which is worth a lot of merit

I haven't used any of the 'filler' yet but for the effects, the 2 shows, the fact that there are videos and a couple of extra books it's well worth what I paid for it
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Nick Kolenda
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nick Kolenda
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post an update. Last week I hired a web developer to give the website a makeover and make it more obvious that this course was intended for professionals and not a mainstream audience.

However, a couple nights ago, I posted a video on YouTube of me reading minds on Chat Roulette. Since posting the video, it has been going viral. It’s actually on the front page of YouTube right now. The video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKZ-joGdRA

Because of this popularity, I have just taken down the website and will no longer be selling this course. Again, I originally intended to sell this information to professionals, so because of all the mainstream attention, I do not want this information falling into the general public’s hands.

Thanks to everyone who purchased it and for the kind feedback I received from it. I’m sorry that this information will no longer be available, but I think it’s best for everybody if this info gets locked up.

Best regards,
Nick
Bosko
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Bosko
Just saying: Tanks to Davit Sicseek and Bob Cassidy to help me to save my money...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, Nick's course was very good and well worth the money. I just questioned the way he marketed and titled it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, and hadn't realized it was no longer available.
Nick Kolenda
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Nick Kolenda
Thanks for the kind words about my course. Much appreciated.

After receiving emails from many people interested in purchasing it, I have decided to continue with the original redesigned website I had planned. But this new website will require a password that only magicians and mentalists would know (to try and keep the info out of the hands of the general public). I have to finish a few other projects first, but the new website should be up and running within a couple of months.

In the meantime, if you are interested in purchasing the course, you can send an email to nick@nickkolenda.com and I will send you instructions on how you can purchase it. Or if you would like to be notified when the new website is up and running, let me know and I will put you on the email list.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Nick, I am pleased to see this announcement - and I congratulate you on the success of your video. I wish you the best with this relaunch.

Best,

Atlas
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
It appears that Nick is now selling his book and suggesting that it contains the secret behind his "mind reading chat roulette" stunt. The secret, he claims, is a psychological influence, that he labels as METHODS. It's an acronym with the following meaning:

Step 1: Mold Their Perception
Step 2: Elicit Congruent Attitudes
Step 3: Trigger Social Pressure
Step 4: Habituate Your Message
Step 5: Optimize Your Message
Step 6: Drive Their Momentum
Step 7: Sustain Their Compliance

Although the mentalism course was marketed to mentalists, it appears that marketing a book to the general public claiming that the youtube stunt utilizes this psychological principle is surprising, when it is clear that he is using a mentalism technique that many of us are familiar with. That said, if the book will provide exposure of mentalism techniques to the lay audience via this book, it is disappointing.

Regards,
Mike
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Does anybody own METHODS who can definitively state that it exposes some of the mentalism secrets of our art to a completely lay audience? It appears that METHODS is either: 1) a psychology book implying that the mind reading chat roulette stunt is something one can legitimately do solely utilizing the information in the psychology book, a false and misleading claim (since there is a mentalism secret involved), or 2) a psychology book that is spilling some of the mentalism secrets of our art to a completely lay audience.

Either option is troubling, the former from a legal standpoint and the latter from an ethical standpoint.

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Mentalism Course from Nick Kolenda (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL