The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan's Pack Small, Play Big - 5 New DVDs (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
The original Dan Harlan's Pack Small, Play Big DVDs were a hit when they were released several years ago. The four original DVDs, Stand Up with Cards, All Purpose Show, Kids Birthday Show and Mentalism Show weren't the only videos recorded for the series. We are now releasing the other five DVDs.

Volume 5 - The Escape Artist Show

Volume 6 - The Trade Show

Volume 7 - The Manipulation Show

Volume 8 - The Comedy Club Show

Volume 9 - The Bizarre Magic Show

Demos for all DVDs are on the site:
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
This is exciting news. Dan's first four 'pack small, play big" videos were fantastic. The next 5 will be must haves!
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Yaaaay!!!
They're finally being released. Gosh, I look so young. I know quite a few people who've been patiently waiting to get their hands on these "lost" L&L videos... I know I have. The wait is over! Get these to see what made the young Harlan tick...

Oh, and remember... I'm appearing LIVE WORLDWIDE this Saturday Night with all brand new stuff.
Details here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2699
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
That Manipulation Show DVD looks so sweet, but I'm guessing we need to have the props already? I'll still get it anyways, just because it's fun watching this kind of thing.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
The Escape Artist Show DVD is very good as well. Don't let the subject matter turn you off because it's not all about locking up the magician and escaping. There's a lot of magic in there that he added an escape theme to. "Jacket Off" is an excellent routine, as is "Escape King", neither of which involves anyone getting tied up. But if you're looking to get tied up, that's there too.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Yes, for some of the routines you will need to own the props (this is especially true of the Manipulation show). These Pack Small, Play Big shows were intended to demonstrate how you can fit an entire show in a briefcase, so some of the material uses well-known props... and I show you what I would do with them... while other routines are more "Harlan-esque." FYI, the Bizarre show has great stuff you can do around Halloween time even if you don't typically perform "bloody good" routines! I had a great time making all of these and I know you'll enjoy watching them.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
Not to take anything away from the wonderful Bill Abbott who has been doing his "Pack Smart Play Anywhere" lecture, but it's obvious watching this DVD series that Dan was ahead of the trends with this project. While you may not want to do all the material in a given show, it does serve as an inspirational starting point for building your own show that fits in a small case.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
... why did L+L hold onto these for ten years before they released them?
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I think they held on to them for a number of reasons:
1. Back then, I was putting out a lot of material, so I think they were concerned that there would just be "too much Harlan" at one time.
2. There was some concern that the "themes" might be viewed as "niche markets" within our already small magic market.
3. They moved on to other artists and just didn't get back to these until now.
Hope that helps answer your question!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
The pack small, play big dvd's are some of my favorite dvds. Lots of great, practical and diverse magic on those dvd's. Plus lots of good info on how to set up for a show. Looking forward to watching these dvd's- especially the bizzare magic show-
For those who didn't see it, Dan did a great lecture on Penguin magic. Lots of really nice magic, something for everyone. I do lots of kid's shows and the Crayon Eating Monster is going right into my show. Nice tip on how to make your own disappearing crayons (better than the one's you buy). Lots of good tips from Dan as well.....
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 18:32, DanHarlan wrote:
Yaaaay!!!
They're finally being released. Gosh, I look so young. I know quite a few people who've been patiently waiting to get their hands on these "lost" L&L videos... I know I have. The wait is over! Get these to see what made the young Harlan tick...
--Dan Harlan

Dan, is it true L&L was considering waiting ANOTHER 10 years and releasing these as a Dan Harlan Junior product?

DD
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
OK- review time. I got both the Bizzare Show and the Manipulation Show.
Dan is correct- there is some great stuff on there especially around Halloween time. Some really weird, interesting stuff. I especially enjoyed his Spider and the Fly routine. That one went right into my act, works well with kid's shows too.
I absolutely loved the Manipulation DVD. Probably my favorite Harlan DVD and one of my favorite dvd's in general. You do need certain props for most of the routines (you probably already have many of them) but there is a lot of visual-in your face type of magic in there. Great Linking rings routine. Zombie Ball, Multiplying ball, Silks, ropes... the nice thing about these routines is that they are different from other routines that I have have seen. He has a fresh take on it. I especially loved the Dancing Cane/color changing cane/Vanishing Cane to Candelabra candles... what an opening. I'm glad they released these DVD's.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Yes, like 10 years ahead at least. But isn't that true of Dan Harlan? He is about 10 years ahead of the curve.
What a resource that guy is.
James

Quote:
On 2012-06-08 16:07, LLPublishing wrote:
Not to take anything away from the wonderful Bill Abbott who has been doing his "Pack Smart Play Anywhere" lecture, but it's obvious watching this DVD series that Dan was ahead of the trends with this project. While you may not want to do all the material in a given show, it does serve as an inspirational starting point for building your own show that fits in a small case.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
248 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
Well, I'm convinced! These look great. Are the original videos...er...DVDs available? I originally bought them in VHS and they're lost. I'd like to get the originals on DVD. What about it, L&L?
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Cris--
This link is for the original 4 Volumes on DVD:
http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=1296
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Anybody have a link to the actual titles of each effect on the DVD's (in sequential order?)

Sure would be appreciated.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
The mentalism one with Deja VooDoo was gold. I use the newspaper cut, crossword puzzle, deja voodoo, and mind your hands in my shows today. If the rest are like that one then I will definitely get them all. Great material Dan!

Patrick
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I can help you know what's on all purpose show, and birthday party, if you need help.

I have mentalism too, but had problems finding certain props.

I'd LOVE to have the other ones, because I think it would be splendid to have a wide variety of shows to offer clients for repeat bookings.

Dan is AMAZING! By that I mean in my mind he is the ultimate master magician to have mastered all those different shows, not to mention all the other effects and genres he's mastered. He's like Sankey in that he seems to be a walking encyclopedia of magic. To me, that is an incredible feat.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
What props are you having a hard time finding?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Instead of overwhelming you, I'll give one at a time. For Reddit, the book test, if you have the DVD, and you watch the explanation, you will know that for the paperback you need to purchase, the book has to have a special "quality" in order for the effect to work. I have been through every paper back in this city, searching all the magazine racks, and have not been able to find ONE that meets the stipulations. They ALL have the authors ____ and the _____ of the novel on the pages. Every single one of them. I've given up in frustration.

As I said, I won't overwhelm you. That is the first one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan's Pack Small, Play Big - 5 New DVDs (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL