The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Most natural double lift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Very nice DL on that YouTube. I must put in more practice now ... Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
p-n_junction
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of p-n_junction
I don't think that perfect DL exists whatsoever.
I mean if DL and SingleL looks virtually the same in your hands than it's the best.
So, if you satisfied with the method that you're currently using, what's the reson for searching something else?
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
That's about the best I've ever seen Steven.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I really like the look of Ron Bauer's TTT, but I feel like I have to adjust the deck too much to get into the right grip.

I prefer to be able just to pick the deck up and without any adjustment being able to do my double.

I myself do a combination of a strike and push off double in the same action.
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
What are the main categories of DL's? I've heard of push- over and strike DL's. Also, what are the visual differences between the different DL categories?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-06-10 22:27, dman11 wrote:
Here's a demon of Ron's TTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_j3O0YmY88

is there a tutorial of this anywhere? or can anyone refer me to a book or something that this is covered in ? thank you

Used to be a free download, possibly on Ron Bauer's web site: http://www.thinklikeaconjuror.com , though I didn't see it there just now. I guess he took it down since I downloaded it a couple years ago.

Jim
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I've done the only authorized video tutorial on Ron's T.T.T. He's never offered one on his site.

His lecture notes though, have an excellent description and they should be available again soon.

SEY
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
You can get the lecture notes from several sites. For example:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/books-r......8121.htm
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
My local shop has ordered the Lecture notes for me, I should be picking them up tomorrow !
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
My all time favorite is the one Doc Eason uses in his Bar DVDs. Not sure of the name.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 02:46, p-n_junction wrote:
I don't think that perfect DL exists whatsoever.
I mean if DL and SingleL looks virtually the same in your hands than it's the best.
So, if you satisfied with the method that you're currently using, what's the reson for searching something else?

I totally agree. I love talking technique and theory on all levels of magic. A typical mistake we as magicians make is looking too far into things. I understand the desire to come up with the "perfect" DL. However, regardless on which method you use for this common sleight, if your SL mirrors your DL then you already have the perfect method. At least that is the way I interpret Dai Vernon's famous phrase "The devil is in the details."

When it comes to the DL there are only two things I am concerned about.

1.) Make sure your DL and SL look exactly the same
2.) Do your best to avoid (or mask) any "extra" movement (get Ready’s)

I know this stuff may seem basic, but let’s not re-invent the wheel guys.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 10:26, dman11 wrote:
My local shop has ordered the Lecture notes for me, I should be picking them up tomorrow !

Make sure they're the UPDATED and EXPANDED Set.

SEY
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I think Paul Daniels once said that the perfect DL is dependant on the trick you're using it in. The most important thing, apart from good technique, is to be consistent; you real lifts should look the same as your DLs.

Marty
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
The best double I've ever seen was Dan Block's. Wow! Dan lives around the Buffalo area and is probably one of the most talented cardicians I've ever met.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 16:27, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 10:26, dman11 wrote:

Make sure they're the UPDATED and EXPANDED Set.

SEY

Yes, it is indeed. Great writing and drawings ! I'm going to look into more of his stuff
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Quote:
I've never cared much for the look of the Stuart Gordon turnover. It always appears to be a little too studied and contrived.

I believe it was Bro. Hamman who just casually pushed two over and let them line up as they turned over and hit the top of the deck.
To me his method almost exactly simulates the way a single card would be pushed off and turned over. It's the method I prefer if I want to appear the most natural.

This depends upon the context in which you're turning over a card. If you're going to do a Rosini-style revelation of a card, then of course it's going to look like a studied action. Both flippant and studied actions have their place in a performance, which pretty much negates the idea that there's a tangible and singular "naturalness."
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
In my opinion, a Rosini style revelation should look slow and studied, but it's done on purpose with only the card to be revealed. IMO, the Stuart Gordon turnover almost screams "look how clever I am." Every time I see someone do it, I get the feeling that I'm watching a balancing act. I'm not implying that a double turnover can't be done slowly, but personally, I'd just opt for another method.
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
I don't equate fluid and elegant with cleverness--at least not in this instance. But to each his own.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-06-18 20:19, Justin W. wrote:
I don't equate fluid and elegant with cleverness--at least not in this instance. But to each his own.

C'mon man, that's not fair.

Whether the move is "fluid and elegant" is a subjective judgement. Accusing NicholasD of equating "fluid and elegant" with his perceived "defect" is therefore unfair and very bad reasoning.

SEY
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I'm not fit to tie the shoes of some of the card guys on this forum, but IMO you can't lose by learning a whole bunch of ways of doing a DL. That way no one can associate a certain visible move with the technique.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Most natural double lift (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL