The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Emerson & West (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I never had the Flik Flik book. He demonstrated it a lot.

I have just run across an effect called "Chip Dip." The envelope says "Arthur Emerson's Chip Dip." The instructions don't mention the maker.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
[quote]On 2012-07-11 14:36, Inert wrote:
Paul...awesome books my friend! Both a great read. I've also checked-out several of your videos. Stellar performances all around. Cheers.
/quote]

Glad you enjoyed the books. Hopefully you'll find time to work on some of the effects fully described. One good one to start with is "The World's Oddest Card Trick" in SBD because it can so easily be peronalized or adapted to a specific venue. Smile
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Someone was very close in describing the Leprechauns effect.

You have a packet of "20" cards in your hand: 10-Leprechauns and 10-Pots of Gold. The packets are back-to-back.

You count the Leprechauns from the face of the packet out onto the table by dealing them one at a time face-up in a spread out formation. Everyone can see the ten leprechauns. You return them to the packet in your hand, and the leprechaun packet of 10 is returned to its back-to-back position with packet of Gold cards.

You turn the pack over which brings the Pots of Gold cards face up. You then deal 10 Pots of Gold cards face up one at a time onto the table explaining that each leprechaun has his own pot of gold.

Then the Leprechauns go off to play nine pins on the greensward and leave the gold unguarded. A nasty fellow finds one of the pots of gold and steals it. (You pick up a pot of gold from the table and place it into your pocket or some other convenient place.)

The leprechauns return and realize someone has taken a pot of gold. The head leprechaun decides to use magic to get it back. So the head lephrechaun (or the first leprechaun) supervises the others collecting their gold pots. You take one leprechaun from your hand and scoop up one of the nine pots of gold on the table. You do this fairly and repeatedly with each leprechaun card in your hand the pots of gold on the table. In some odd fashion, "10" pots of gold end up with "10" leprechauns.

It is basically the old too many guests for the hotel rooms dilemma, or the too many people for chairs puzzle.

It works well. I've never had anyone figure it out and I used to demonstrate and sell it in a magic shop. Unfortunately it used the lousy, sticky cards that E&W used for some of their effects. I have it at home. I can post some pics if you like.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I had Leprechauns but don't recall using it so much. The first time I saw the principle used with cards was Paul Curry's "The Case of The Missing Hat" (last described in "Paul Curry's World's Beyond" but first published in 1965, pre-dating the Emerson and West routine) which used magicians and their top hats as a theme.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Hello DelMagic,

The leprechauns effect you described is the once I have (Luckily, my cards are not sticky...yet). However, the one I have is a Marcom's release and NOT E&W. Did E&W release this as well?

Kirk
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pretty sure Emerson and West released it.
Also saw it listed recently in Taurus Magic's used magic list as "Emerson and West's Leprechauns".

usedmagic1

http://www.taurusmagic.net/usedmagic1.html

The prices shown in brackets are the original retail prices of the tricks. ...... PLUS EMERSON AND WEST'S LEPRECHAUNS - A fun packet trick using cards with ...
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
It's been a long time, but I would agree with Paul in that I think it was probably Marcom's effect released by E&W. Just linke Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards, Jim Temple's Color Monte, etc.

I don't have the original packaging or instructions though.

PS: By the way Paul, I just picked up Magic from the Overground on Ebay and it has arrived. I'm looking forward to diving into it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 23:31, DelMagic wrote:
It's been a long time, but I would agree with Paul in that I think it was probably Marcom's effect released by E&W. Just linke Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards, Jim Temple's Color Monte, etc.

I don't have the original packaging or instructions though.

PS: By the way Paul, I just picked up Magic from the Overground on Ebay and it has arrived. I'm looking forward to diving into it.

I'm sure you'll find the book a good investment, even though there is a shortage of packet tricks in there, Smile
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Paul...thanks for the head's up on 'The World's Oddest Card Trick' via 'The Very Odd Card' by Martin Lewis. Excellent changes. Very versatile & adaptable too.

I'd also like to thank everyone else for their continued research efforts. The numbers are slowing down, but are still going up somewhat.

UPDATES:

Color Pack - Larry West

Cut-Off - Arthur Emerson & Larry West

Chip Dip - Arthur Emerson (awaiting confirmation that it was an E&W release)

Pride & Joy - was not an Emerson & West release. This answer was supplied elsewhere on the Café.

Black & Blue - Larry West (also awaiting confirmation that it was an E&W release)
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I just ran across a picture of Emerson and West here:
http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioWXYZ.htm
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I never saw Larry West, but I did see Arthur Emerson run a dealer booth at a convention. He was an excellent demonstrator and he had a marvelous voice and superb diction.
fredm
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of fredm
While looking thru box of magic,came across.PLACEFACE ACES by Horace Bennett.Not a packet trick,uses a full deck.Came in a red sleve holder.

Fred
Fred Mitchell
DOCSOOS
View Profile
New user
Sumter, SC
3 Posts

Profile of DOCSOOS
While working in Jersey at a flea market in 1977 I was given an original hand made version of CIRCULATION. I used it few times and since then stored it in a picture frame. it had colored ink stamps of rings and squares and gimmick made of clear plastic and a blank card taped together. I have many other old ones that I have not seen mentioned here, or could find searching the web. like INK SPOT/STAIN REMOVER, GAMBLE AMBLE or POLOR CARD. Remembering the Oldies, DOC
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
It's just downright excellent, the ongoing contributions around here. I'm truly amazed by everyone's efforts. Kudos to all.

Dragonash...thank you for the photo link. Shot in different times for sure. Without trying to be funny, it reminds me of the good old days & makes me think of comedians like Dick Van Dyke for some unknown reason.

DelMagic...I never did get the chance to meet Mr. Emerson, but all reports match what you have written. A stellar Bloke of the highest order from what I've heard. Definitely a plus to magic in general & a true fellowship member of the fraternity.

Fred...thank you for coming forth with an unknown effect. I appreciate it. Is there any chance you'd be willing to describe the effect here?

Doc...great input on very elusive effects. 4 new items (Or is that old items that are new here?), for the list. Can I talk you into adding the inventor's name for each item?

My sole single find addition is 'Acrobatic Card Extension' by Larry West.

The Grand Total is now past 60. We have hit unchartered waters as far as I can tell. Nowhere have I seen a published list that goes this high. I will break this down into the 2 categories after receiving some requested updates which are needed for clarity in this department.

Finally, Paul, Kirk & John...come on back...you're much needed. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 20:49, DOCSOOS wrote:
While working in Jersey at a flea market in 1977 I was given an original hand made version of CIRCULATION. I used it few times and since then stored it in a picture frame. it had colored ink stamps of rings and squares and gimmick made of clear plastic and a blank card taped together. I have many other old ones that I have not seen mentioned here, or could find searching the web. like INK SPOT/STAIN REMOVER, GAMBLE AMBLE or POLOR CARD. Remembering the Oldies, DOC

They are not mentioned here because they are not Emerson and West. Gamble Amble, for instance, may have been a Tannan release.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Do any of you out there have the booklet “Ticks You Can Count On” by Vernes Chesbro and Larry West? It contains the following tricks that all use false counts (Mostly the Elmsley Count):
Contents:

Face the face
Confusion
Air mail
Jumping Jack Rabbit Card
The Jack is a joker
Acrobatic Cards
Twisting the acrobats
Buckaroo
Flipper
Rapid Aces
All The Non-Conformists (Martin Gardner)
Trance-Position

I believe this book is out of print but it is one to keep a look out for if you collect Emerson & West.

Kirk
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Regarding the latter booklet, it was not an Emerson and West release. I believe the rights were held by Chesbro. There was also a sequel.It was probably produced before Larry teamed up with Art Emerson.

Larry also produced another little booklet himself which I have somewhere, I think it was called "On The Corner" though don't have time to check right now. If memory serves, it contained some of his card effects that had previously appeared in his Linking Ring column, but I'm open to correction on that.

Paul.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
You are correct Paul in that it was not an E&W release. I meant to mention that in my post and failed to do so. My bad…as all the young people say now Smile

Kirk
KNorkin
View Profile
New user
Takoma Park, Maryland
11 Posts

Profile of KNorkin
Does anyone know if Trans Print is still available? My quick search doesn't turn it up.

Out of all the packet tricks I bought in the 70s and 80s -- probably close to two dozen -- Trans Print and Color Monte were the only two I regularly performed. Most I didn't even bother learning once I got into them. Though Eight Ball came close.

Anyway, looked in my magic case today (been out of magic many years, but my grown kids and their SOs are expecting to see some tricks this weekend) and the wallet in which I kept TP and CM is gone. I'm sure I'm the one who took it out who knows when for who knows why -- maybe I wanted to have some tricks with me one night just in case. Whatever. It's gone. I just ordered a replacement Color Monte from Penguin (glad to see it's in Bicycle after all these years). But I'm afraid there's no replacing Trans Print.

Maybe that I've re-bought one of the tricks, the missing wallet will turn up.

-Ken
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Ken,

It was part of "The Best of Emerson & West Packet Trick Magic" tape 5 with Dan Harlen. I found it here:
http://www.magicaplanet.com/ang/detail_m......_17.html

My search for the packet trick itself came up empty. Maybe someone here will have a extra one for sale.

Kirk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Emerson & West (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL