The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Standard coin magic lacks depth? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I was just reading Lee Asher's Three Stylin' ad and Lee says "

"No matter where you live, color crosses language barriers. Without color, you have just another standard coin effect. Standard coin magic lacks depth. Depth, in coin magic, can be difficult to visually translate. Without depth, the effect is lost. Color makes it easy to distinguish between objects.

That's a very interesting opinion. In real life performing, I can't say I'd disagree with that. Maybe that's why Chris Kenner says 3 Fly has to be done with silver dollars, because the smaller coins can't really be seen.
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Greg Wilson's three quarters across is awesome. It is more awesome because you can borrow the three quarters and it happens right in front of their faces. The depth thing sounds more like Marketing doodah to me than a real assessment. Next thing you know they will be saying that Card magic is better than coin magic because there are 52 of them and they have numbers and pictures on them...
The real magic is family!
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field, WI
651 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
This is absurd, unless the only people you perform for are magicians on the internet.
Sad to say, this is the real world for most magicians today.
A table hopping friend tells me he does not understand what magicians go on and on about.
When he walks up to a table, he just flips a coin into his hand and makes it disappear.
He uses a standard sleight.
The people (laymen) go gaga.
He doesn't event say anything.
I can only guess the people that need color and flash are the people entertaining children on You Tube.
Al Schneider
There is only one absolute truth.

That is that we do not know the absolute truth.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Earth
2446 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's a link to the add. http://www.leeasher.com/store/tricks/three_stylin.html

What does he mean by "depth" really, and how is he contributing more of it? I think the ad concept itself might lack depth, FWIW. Smile

" 'Now that Texas Hold-‘Em and the WORLD SERIES OF POKER have taken everyone by storm, poker chips have become a common household item. You need to be topical - you will benefit by linking what goes on in the world with your magic. '

- Lee Asher"
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
2016 Posts

Profile of todsky
He‘s saying that colour discs are easier to tell apart from a distance because you can distinguish their depth from one another, while 3 silver coins might not be as distinguishable from each other. He‘s not saying that standard coin magic is not profound. However, the depth issue is not an issue in close-up work.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Lee said "coin magic". He didn't isolate it to just 3 fly from a distance.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
3951 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-06-17 03:24, Zombie Magic wrote:
Lee said "coin magic". He didn't isolate it to just 3 fly from a distance.

Yes, but the ad is in the context of that particular program. Nowhere else does he comment on "coin magic" as a whole. The ad appears to be speaking only to his program there. At least that's how I read it.

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Earth
2446 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, I suspected that he meant to address field of depth/depth perception issues, Jim, but the ad type is a little ambiguous. Smile

"No matter where you live, color crosses language barriers. Without color, you have just another standard coin effect. Standard coin magic lacks depth."

Add to that the mention of Texas Hold 'Em Poker as a world event that's taken "everyone" by storm, and that we'd be wise to beware of, and you understand what we're getting at. Smile
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2961 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
NOT good, NOT smart ad copy; IMO.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6410 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Perhaps, but Asher has been selling that effect for a good long while and did well with it, I remember when it first came out. Not so sure if he cares so much about it being "smart" as he does about it being catchy and effective. It has clearly caught the eye of some here to debate it but long after 3 Styling has been made available and popularized. Most coin workers won't discuss this to this length (not to mention many have had this for years, especially a lot of 3 Fly buffs) and will be more in to the actual effect, and not letting it affect their overall use of regular coins one bit.

Asher was a child prodigy in magic and became a pretty good marketer of his effects and has been cleverly doing this for a good while now. This is just marketing. I totally agree with JT Cox on this one. He's much more of a regarded card guy than coins and seemingly wanted to make his alternative use of poker chips (soft ones) for the 3 Fly effect just as exciting or perhaps even moreso. Looks like he went that far and then some to make that point. And clearly the point "lacks depth" if you have any at all. Smile

Funny, I remember in the trick that only one chip is the focus or ever actually travels (red?), or something like that I think. That would to me kill his point about coins basically all looking the same and not showing any variety in the effect, that is as to depth of meaning. Only one chip flies back & forth across, if I'm not mistaken. Smile So yeah, what he said really don't mean much of nothing. Smile The effect does stand on it's own in that it is a thoughtful/creative alternative to using actual coins as done in the classic effect.
*Check out my latest FlySki , Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7601 Posts

Profile of harris
Reading books outside of technique have helped this nearly normal guy. One author that the magic world would recognize is Sankey's Zen and the Monologue.(or something like that)

As someone who worked out of the Reno area for many years, I can see the appeal to some of poker chips.
Folks used to get a bit perturbed when I built castles out of my poker chip winnings. Similar to the folks that didn't like my color coded paper clips in my drawer. Back in the early 80's I had some interesting creations made out of the brass tokens used at gaming tables.

I can also see the appeal of doing coin moves with Ritz Crackers and Oreos...Can you say "Sugar-bound" with apologies to the creator of "Spell bound".

Harris
who at times prefers the shallow end of his brain and personality....
and still 2 old to know everything....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Food for thought-
Mickey Silver always entertains at Poker tournaments and never uses chips.
Otherwise his name would be Mickey Chips.
Rediscover a lost art.
www.jadoosmagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7601 Posts

Profile of harris
I think I will name one of my puppets "Potatoe" as in Potatoe Chips.

or perhaps...marked coins to Mr. Potatoe Head.

Harris
with another random coin thought
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Earth
2446 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I have a poker chip with Mickey Silver's name on it.

But then there is this:

And of course, there's this, I have to add this Smile :

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
5692 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-06-16 21:48, Al Schneider wrote:
This is absurd, unless the only people you perform for are magicians on the internet.
Sad to say, this is the real world for most magicians today.
A table hopping friend tells me he does not understand what magicians go on and on about.
When he walks up to a table, he just flips a coin into his hand and makes it disappear.
He uses a standard sleight.
The people (laymen) go gaga.
He doesn't event say anything.
I can only guess the people that need color and flash are the people entertaining children on You Tube.
Al Schneider

I agree.
Glenn Bishop
Just a few thoughts and opinion.

I don't slay dragons I ride them!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9287 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Laurie you are still favorite female masgician chips or no chips
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6410 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great pics Laurie, with some of my favorite folks...Now this is real depth. Smile
*Check out my latest FlySki , Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6410 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Here's another magi with a lot of depth - Mano Tejeda. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSoeHh5S0M&feature=youtu.be

We weren't in Vegas like you guys but the next best thing if you're way out there is right here, on Times Square in New York City. Glad the Godfather Vinny and Mano let me hang out with them and learn a thing or two at the big tables. Smile

Chips Ahoy! Smile

Click here to view attached image.

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
7601 Posts

Profile of harris
Last night I was digging through some old books and found my Dr. Sawa stuff. The intro compares and contrast 2 magicians. Dr. Sawa and Larry Jennings. They were both had a lot of passion and creativity. Their stature and personality both on and off stage were quite different. The magical arts has lots of room,(weight and depth) for a wide range of artist.

My own presentations have changed. My persona both on and off stage has changed.

Harris
"Art" (Carney) is in the eye of the beholder
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2961 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Harris, That is so important to remind newbies!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
183 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
This is one important thing for beginner with coins !!! I should read this topic carefully.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6410 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Maybe an aside, but that's how I'm feeling today... You might've heard about the passing this week of world famous sports artist, Leroy Neiman in NYC. He was very good friend and one of God's great masterpieces as to the subject of humanity. He creatively illustrated everything as to sports in a way unlike any others out there, he was unique. He also loved magic and would routinely say to me whenever we saw each other ringside or about town, "Boykin, what you got for me today" with a boyish BIG grin and a mustache & cigar to match. (Only my pal famed fight writer Bert Sugar -Also recently deceased- could match the size of his cigar and matched his grand mustache with his ever-present big newsman fedora hat. Real life NYC). I will miss him deeply, so will the world. A true master whose life and works were absolutely magical. RIP.

Click here to view attached image.

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I heard about his passing in NPR, very nice things were said about him and his paints, Ali, Golden Bear and others
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2961 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Marion, Nice goatee!

I like the circles you travel in.

What you got for us today?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
V.I.P. ;)
6410 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, those were the days. Smile I remember at that fight LeRoy sat right behind me at ringside sketching the moments and excitement, and always watching me coin roll a half dollar back and forth. I'd look back every so often and he'd be staring at me smiling and just shaking his head. Smile Sitting with him were writers, Joyce Carol Oates and Norman Mailer that night (big fight fans), behind them was Mayor Rudy Giuliani and a few seats away was the Dapper Don, John Gotti. Perhaps folks might've heard of some of these? What a cross section in the cross roads of the world, NYC on a big fight night - Absolutely magical!

Hope people take the time to look here about LeRoy Neiman, he was one of America's, one of the world's greatest artists, human beings and my friend. A presence and spirit spread around the world.

http://www.leroyneiman.com/leroy-neiman-biography.asp

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5595 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I remember performing a show last year at a hospital and there was a serigraph of Neiman's "Bistro Garden", just outside the room where I was performing. What has always impressed my about many of his works is that although they appear abstract, up close, they show a great deal of detail from a distance. I always wondered how he was able to do that. In "Bistro Garden", the facial expressions and postures were expressed in more detail than a photograph was capable of. That's magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Standard coin magic lacks depth? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.310379 seconds, requiring 100 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [7] [4] [0] [3] [4] [4]